Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Millennial kid of April Fools obs and pics

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe a little bullish in NE MA, but I can't blame going at least 6" there...I would have...there was pretty good model agreement on a good CCB this morning, and we've gotten it. It just took a little too long to get the good snows going...even the warmer models like the RGEM had it pounding 1-2" per hour for a few hours. I would have been more cautious in BOS itself though.

Yeah I posted Thurs-Fri I was leaning conservative for Boston, but that single 0z RGEM run last night threw me off... > 1" qpf in the CCB this morning 12z-18z... had the makings of a positive bust from a well-timed spring-time bomb. Looks like it was placing the surface low too far west and dynamics were over-estimated. Odd blip for RGEM 12 hour forecast qpf-wise, and it went back down at 6z.

Still terrible snow growth. Pretty sure Boston does not even make 2" the way this is trucking out of here.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ramping back up here. Over a foot a still doable.

Congrats. Surprised at the Eversource map. Would've expected a lot more damage out your way. 

-SN/SN here. Wish it'd either ramp up to +SN or just stop so I can go about my weekend. 

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Will do you think this lift has another NNW push it in by 128-495 area or is it cooked 

It may try and pulse west one more time but the dynamics overall will be lessening. Esp after 15-16z. 

5 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yeah I posted Thurs-Fri I was leaning conservative for Boston, but that single 0z RGEM run last night threw me off... > 1" qpf in the CCB this morning 12z-18z... had the makings of a positive bust from a well-timed spring-time bomb. Looks like it was placing the surface low too far west and dynamics were over-estimated. Odd blip for RGEM 12 hour forecast qpf-wise, and it went back down at 6z.

Still terrible snow growth. Pretty sure Boston does not even make 2" the way this is trucking out of here.

A lot of the guidance really curled that H5 low tightly just south of us which is exactly what you want to see. But it looks like they overdid it a little plus the extra midlevel warmth is hurting the depth of the SGZ. We did get some really good 1 hour precip rates this morning. 

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Congrats. Surprised at the Eversource map. Would've expected a lot more damage out your way. 

-SN/SN here. Wish it'd either ramp up to +SN or just stop so I can go about my weekend. 

Outages are jumping south of LEB. Otherwise scattered around the restof this area. None in Northfield yet from NHEC.

https://ebill.nhec.com/woViewer/mapviewer.html?config=Outage+Web+Map

Another flag that jbenedet and others discussed, the maritime influence skunking the boundary layer here and further north, so no decent cold pool to advect from up north... And now that dynamics are fizzling for dynamical cooling, we're actually going back to rain. The upshot: not even a 15 minute window of spectacular spring snow. We'll see how much further northwest these echoes can make it but not looking great.

Box 1014am:

Very impressive wcb/moisture plume into eastern Massachusetts. This will 
continue to pivot north a bit more thru 15z-16z and then begin 
to pull seaward toward 18z and especially exiting offshore by 
21z. Thus heaviest precip occurring now thru 16zish then 
beginning to weaken. 

So as precip changes from rain to sleet to snow over northeast 
Massachusetts the other dilemma becomes surface temps. Strong east-northeast winds 
has flooded the coastal plain with maritime airmass with temps 
in the mid 30s. Upstream across southern New Hampshire temps only 33/34 so 
not a lot of cold air advection available. Cooling will have to come from 
vigorous upward motion (dynamical cooling) and melting snow 
initially (diabatic cooling). However some of the snow potential 
is being lost to the transition of sleet along with snow not 
accumulating on paved surfaces, reducing impacts. Thus it's a 
small window for snow to accumulate across northeast Massachusetts 
including the greater Boston area. Therefore will downgrade the 
Winter Storm Warning for the greater Boston area into coastal 
Essex County with an additional 1-3"...especially on non paved 
surfaces. Other forecast challenge will be as precip intensity 
slackens later this morning and early afternoon, snow and sleet 
across northeast Massachusetts into greater Boston area may flip back to 
rain. Overall greatest impacts today will be north and west of 
I-495 across the higher terrain of the Worcester Hills. 

3 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Another flag that jbenedet and others discussed, the maritime influence skunking the boundary layer here and further north, so no decent cold pool to advect from up north... And now that dynamics are fizzling for dynamical cooling, we're actually going back to rain. The upshot: not even a 15 minute window of spectacular spring snow. We'll see how much further northwest these echoes can make it but not looking great.

hey its cold at 925, beware the marine layer in all seasons its a biatch

Just now, danstorm said:

It's been happening more and more - it's not blind anymore... NAM killed it down here on March 14 and last Jan it led the way too

Eh. It's like every winter to me. It always scores a coup or two but it's often within a sea of incompetency. I'll give it credit that it was decent in two high profile events (last January and March 14th this year) but it's had some really horrible ones too. I mean, that's why we still check it and don't completely ignore it like the nogaps or cras model...since it does occasionally provide some usefulness. But I still weight it pretty low overall...I usually really want the RGEM to confirm it. 

The marine layer is only an issue when you don't have the latent heat of melting helping to cool the column. If we did not have the warm tongue, you would have no issues as it's still cold a couple of thousand feet up. You'd [probably cool down to 32-33 and heavy paste. But with the sleet and rain, you lose that physical process.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's going to take more than a couple of storms to balance out the sample size of storm defecations that the NAM had. 

Also wonder if that sampling has seasonal biases... NAM probably would score really well if we looked only at April snowstorms lol

Archived