Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Millennial kid of April Fools obs and pics

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wxsniss said:

Yeah if we waste the next 2 hours of 30-40dbz returns on this kitchen sink, we'll struggle to even see 2-4"

This is a pretty impressive CCB...it's too bad the thermal profiles have been struggling. It's not like one of those storms where it popped too late to our northeast or something...this is producing the goods...just about 0.5C too warm though for really big accumulations, lol.

Hopefully though we can rack up a little here at the end.

53 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Surprised to see even the highest elevations of southern Vermont had major mixing issues over night. Despite radar presentations that looked like they where getting pummeled with snow. Only 4" of mix fell overnight on top of 6" of snow during the day yesterday 

Yep, that warm nose from hell took no prisoners last night in parts  SVT. 

I had 4.6" on 1.52" at 7am

West Halifax at 1500ft on the east slopes in extreme SVT had 4.0" on 1.65". They normally get porked in these type of events.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

They need to keep an eye on these aggressive calls. Not sure what has changed over the last year, but it's like James is the lead forecaster.

Also looked like a struggle for control of the wheel last night... that map literally jumped back and forth 3 times in less than 3 hours

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They need to keep an eye on these aggressive calls. Not sure what has changed over the last year, but it's like James is the lead forecaster.

Not to pile on them, but the 12-18'' map N of Rt 2 last night while we donned helmets was kind of odd. 

Maybe a little bullish in NE MA, but I can't blame going at least 6" there...I would have...there was pretty good model agreement on a good CCB this morning, and we've gotten it. It just took a little too long to get the good snows going...even the warmer models like the RGEM had it pounding 1-2" per hour for a few hours. I would have been more cautious in BOS itself though.

rad/sat and other obs clearly indicate the low is rotating away toward the E just south of the Islands this hour.

This has re-oriented its self into a weak sauce CCB comma head that is showing trends of weakening as the fore-sentence is taking place.  I suspect it rots and rotates to drizzle at some point mid day. 

Here in Ayer we have a bright-ish sky.  The light rain flipped to moderate sleet around 8am, then snowed moderately for an hour... now it is lighter and very wet... 4:1 seriously.. it's almost white rain.  The brightening of the sky appears to be adding some melt potential there - it's not even accumulating on the trees anymore after that first 45 minutes or so..

I'll be curious to see what the in-bucket melted/liquid totals are and compare them to each individual model and the averages therein..  I suspect that we bust this thing less.  Though that's not a declaration. We did get a lot of sleet during the evening hours last night after yesterday's 2 or so inches of slush, and that seems to be a common theme in the social media of weather-sphere.   And that type caries a tremendous amount of water....

So far...nothing unusual for unusual spring cold events... Lots of consternation all week ends in a mix bag of cold puke.   For me, this thing never had the mechanical power to really 'take over' so to speak, so we get what we get...

rad/sat and other obs clearly indicate the low is rotating away toward the E just south of the Islands this hour.

This has re-oriented its self into a weak sauce CCB comma head that is showing trends of weakening as the fore-sentence is taking place.  I suspect it rots and rotates to drizzle at some point mid day. 

Here in Ayer we have a bright-ish sky.  The light rain flipped to moderate sleet around 8am, then snowed moderately for an hour... now it is lighter and very wet... 4:1 seriously.. it's almost white rain.  The brightening of the sky appears to be adding some melt potential there - it's not even accumulating on the trees anymore after that first 45 minutes or so..

I'll be curious to see what the in-bucket melted/liquid totals are and compare them to each individual model and the averages therein..  I suspect that we bust this thing less.  Though that's not a declaration. We did get a lot of sleet during the evening hours last night after yesterday's 2 or so inches of slush, and that seems to be a common theme in the social media of weather-sphere.   And that type caries a tremendous amount of water....

So far...nothing unusual for unusual spring cold events... Lots of consternation all week ends in a mix bag of cold puke.   For me, this thing never had the mechanical power to really 'take over' so to speak, so we get what we get...

Welcome to April. Underperformers are usually the norm minus 97 of course.

Archived