Welcome to American Weather
Chambana

April 2017 Obs/Discussion.

195 posts in this topic

A line of heavy showers this evening boosted my daily total to 0.94".  My April rain total is 6.68".  As wet as this month was, it still only ranks third out of the last five Aprils.  I've only had one slightly below average April in the last eleven years.

64 in Valpo and 50 here.  Seems like this type of gradient has happened a few times this year.  Should eventually get a brief surge in temps here.

il_sfc.gif.0da58559bb9efd963395d1bb9a39b02c.gif

Another month gone, another warmest month on record. 

April was the warmest on record for Cleveland with an average temp of 57.4. That's 1.4 degrees warmer than the previous warmest April of 2010. April had 7 days at or above 80, which ties for most on record. 

Most impressive, is that the past three months were the warmest on record as well. It was 0.6 degrees warmer than the infamous torchy 2012 period. 2012 was 1.4 degrees warmer than the previous record. So the extremes are getting more extreme. 

Top 10 warmest and wettest April on record for Chicago...

9b29ac38a61abc0b3193fdf6100722e3.png

On 5/1/2017 at 10:32 AM, Trent said:

Another month gone, another warmest month on record. 

April was the warmest on record for Cleveland with an average temp of 57.4. That's 1.4 degrees warmer than the previous warmest April of 2010. April had 7 days at or above 80, which ties for most on record. 

Most impressive, is that the past three months were the warmest on record as well. It was 0.6 degrees warmer than the infamous torchy 2012 period. 2012 was 1.4 degrees warmer than the previous record. So the extremes are getting more extreme. 

Past 3 months were 3.4F above normal here. You were 6.4F above normal. That's a huge difference for a short distance. I'm using Lansing numbers.

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

Past 3 months were 3.4F above normal here. You were 6.4F above normal. That's a huge difference for a short distance. I'm using Lansing numbers.

Do you mean you are using your personal data against LAN's averages?

11 hours ago, Jonger said:

The warmest anomalies were to the south and east. Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Lexington all had their warmest Feb-April period on record. It looks like Lansing had their second warmest on record. ORD, DTW, MKE, and IND also had their second warmest. 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Do you mean you are using your personal data against LAN's averages?

No. I'm using Lansing's data for everything. My PWS is just a toy. 

2 hours ago, Trent said:

The warmest anomalies were to the south and east. Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Lexington all had their warmest Feb-April period on record. It looks like Lansing had their second warmest on record. ORD, DTW, MKE, and IND also had their second warmest. 

I'm curious where you found these comparisons. I'm surprised that Lansing had the second warmest period while one of the 3 months actually posted a negative anomaly (March), albeit slight.

19 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'm curious where you found these comparisons. I'm surprised that Lansing had the second warmest period while one of the 3 months actually posted a negative anomaly (March), albeit slight.

I use this site:

http://www.sercc.com/perspectivesmap?region=mrcc

There's a wealth of climate information there by adjusting parameters and selecting individual sites. 

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

No. I'm using Lansing's data for everything. My PWS is just a toy. 

How do you get +3.4 then with monthlies of +9.6, -0.2, and +5.2. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

How do you get +3.4 then with monthlies of +9.6, -0.2, and +5.2. 

Good question. I must have mixed in GR figures and didn't select the right station.

Should be +4.86F