Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2017 Obs/Discussion.

Chambana

On 4/14/2017 at 5:43 AM, michsnowfreak said:

April 6 and 7th were below normal at DTW.

Greenup is hard to tell since it's all eyeballing..it's definitely a solid week earlier than normal, not sure about 2 weeks. 

After a record or near record early green up in 2012, each of the last 4 years had been later than normal. So we are due for an earlier green up, though naturally it's nowhere near 2012.

I stand corrected. I was looking at the wrong column in the climate summary for April.

I imagine we'll see some more rapid blossoming this weekend with dewpoints ratcheting upward and temps approaching 80*F.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

80 degrees with a ripping southwest wind.  Trees have really exploded over the past week, with most of them leafing out now.  

WE're getting there.

Most of them at least have buds on them, but only a few of them have leafed out.

While my temperature is still at a lousy 15ºC (and cloudy), UW station since I followed from 1:00 pm has been rising insanely fast at 1.5-2.0ºC per 15 minutes! After the rain ended and sun started coming in that sucker just went nuts. Easily the fastest rise in temperature this year so far. They're closing in on 20ºC now (likely past it).

13.5 1:00 pm
15.0 1:15 pm
16.4 1:30 pm
18.4 1:45 pm
19.5 2:00 pm

14 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

While my temperature is still at a lousy 15ºC (and cloudy), UW station since I followed from 1:00 pm has been rising insanely fast at 1.5-2.0ºC per 15 minutes! After the rain ended and sun started coming in that sucker just went nuts. Easily the fastest rise in temperature this year so far. They're closing in on 20ºC now (likely past it).

13.5 1:00 pm
15.0 1:15 pm
16.4 1:30 pm
18.4 1:45 pm
19.5 2:00 pm

That's pretty much what happened here.

We started off 50*F at 8am, gradually rose to 60*F at 10am and then jumped to 80*F by 2pm.

A CU field's developing now, so we've probably reached our peak temp.

3 minutes ago, IthielZ said:

71 at 1:00am on April 16th...can't beat that.

Even in 2003 from what I remember it wasn't this warm this late, but I'm too lazy to verify it.

Nope wasn't this warm, it cooled off quicker that night after we hit 84 on the 15th.

Widespread 2-3 inches fell across the Cedar Rapids area last night, with isolated higher.  I finished with 2.23".  CR has been ground zero for training heavy rain events the last couple years.  The area behind my garage must have been under water because there was mulch piled up in the grass downstream.  My April total is now 4.39".  Another couple inches may be on the way this week.

I dont know why I never caught this before, but I think this is a very neat weather fact for Detroit, a climate base that goes to 1874.

Its been frequently discussed that the warmest and coldest Christmases were back to back, as Christmas 1982's record high of 64F was followed in 1983 with a record low of -10F.

But I just now realized the warmest and coldest Easters were also back to back. Easter 1940 saw a low of 6F (Mar 24th) while Easter 1941 saw a high of 87F (Apr 13).

Though many Easters have had flakes of snow, only 6 have been officially White - 1883, 1920, 1926, 1940, 2007, 2008.

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I dont know why I never caught this before, but I think this is a very neat weather fact for Detroit, a climate base that goes to 1874.

Its been frequently discussed that the warmest and coldest Christmases were back to back, as Christmas 1982's record high of 64F was followed in 1983 with a record low of -10F.

But I just now realized the warmest and coldest Easters were also back to back. Easter 1940 saw a low of 6F (Mar 24th) while Easter 1941 saw a high of 87F (Apr 13).

Though many Easters have had flakes of snow, only 6 have been officially White - 1883, 1920, 1926, 1940, 2007, 2008.

Probably because the date of Easter varies.  

66 here with full sun and light winds.  Should make the low 70s.  

Interesting that the point only has us hitting 63 on Wed, but some models show us reaching to near 80.  Challenging forecast since a lot will ride on the Plains MCS that will roll east Wednesday.  If it stays far enough north we hit 80 with mid 60 dews, and if it tracks a bit further south we may have a hard time reaching 60 degrees lol.

Today is the 31st day this year in Cleveland with a high at or above 60 and it's only April 17! An average year should have only had 11 days thus far. Previous record was 27 days in 1945. 2017 is definitely continuing the torch pattern. 

Interesting thing going on with the lake cooling today.  Take Waukegan and Gary for example.  Both places are in close proximity to the lake and fairly far behind the boundary, and yet it's 49 in Waukegan and 66 in Gary.  At first I was wondering if Waukegan was cloudy or something but both places are sunny/mostly sunny.  I would've bet my life on a bigger drop at GYY by now.  Mother nature manages to throw a surprise from time to time.

Archived