Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2017 Obs/Discussion.

Chambana

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, bowtie` said:

Nice!  I took this on Tuesday, while not at work.

7V2A6282.thumb.JPG.5f4aab9636088a8bd45b5c0930d2db58.JPG

I love this picture!

Different story here. Rain and snowed a good part of the day yesterday, but never starting sticking until dark... picked up 3" overnight.  30 currently, but warming to 45 today and near 60 tomorrow.  Snow should be gone.  The weather swings the past couple of weeks have been doozies!

On 4/22/2017 at 2:27 PM, Central Illinois said:

12z GFS has major flooding next week for MO/IL/IN

this mornings GFS has the heaviest axis shifted more south to near the mouth of the OH river and stalls the front as waves move NNE along it later

but overall an extremely wet period coming up for someone

edit: CMC also south with bulleye over notehern AR

Just read an article in my local newspaper that the University of Illinois  has opened up their pools already?! That's absurd. So far temps are running 5 degrees above normal, and 18 of the 24 days have had above normal readings. Almost tagged 80 today.

U of I may regret that pool opening decision, chances of a cool start to May have been appearing. 

7 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Our sub is dead :( almost through the month of April and just 5 pages of replies. 

A lot of the main posters don't post anymore.  I think many use social media discussions to get their "fix".  Don't need to utilize the forums as much because of it.  Kind of sad, but it's a new reality.  

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

Our sub is dead :( almost through the month of April and just 5 pages of replies. 

Boring weather to blame. If/when we get severe weather things will light up

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

A lot of the main posters don't post anymore.  I think many use social media discussions to get their "fix".  Don't need to utilize the forums as much because of it.  Kind of sad, but it's a new reality.  

Twitter really is cutting into the weather forums because on twitter you can easily control what you read, for example not having to read weenies, perpetual naysayers or deal with trolls.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Agree, the social media aspect is a factor. People have more control over what is posted and sort of develop their own followings.  But it's one of several factors.

Pretty much.

Facebook, FB messenger and twitter are all utilized more these days.

It's not just this forum feeling the effects, as storm track and others are having the same issue the past several years. Will bigger winter and severe events still pull a crowd, no doubt. But in average to inactive weather times, lack of posting will rule. Times are a changing...

8 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Today's 12z euro has temps in the 30s, very windy, and showery(rain/snow) across Iowa all day next Monday behind the big storm.  Yikes!

GFS and Canadian are reasonably similar. Not looking like a great opening to May.

17 minutes ago, Chambana said:

No and euro ensembles agree that a cold may could be in the works. 

Hopefully not... CFS has been going that way as well.  It's been quite a stretch of warmer than average months though, and not just run of the mill positive departures.

Only 0.03" of rain so far here, with not much more on the way.  Main rain event tonight will miss to the east.  Don't really need anymore rain anyway with 3.67" for the month already.  

Models show some heavy rain potential this weekend, but I'm sure that will change by then with how poorly they handled this event.

47 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Only 0.03" of rain so far here, with not much more on the way.  Main rain event tonight will miss to the east.  Don't really need anymore rain anyway with 3.67" for the month already.  

Models show some heavy rain potential this weekend, but I'm sure that will change by then with how poorly they handled this event.

Got clipped by a thunderstorm, not much rain but enough to wash in the weed and feed on the lawn. Also enough thunder to wake the baby. 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

We have picked up a quarter inch so far, with perhaps a bit more tonight.  It had been a wet month with 4+ inches through the 16th, but this is our first rain in nine days.  We may get another inch of general rain this weekend.  The warmth is certainly done for a while.

In regards to users who are mainly using social media (non-message boards) to get their weather fix, its a major step in the wrong direction IMO. I've seen other non-weather message boards elude to this trend and quite frankly its aggravating. Not as aggravating as the board software switch last summer which was probably a big push and turnoff. How do you have a meaningful weather disco with 140 characters? Then you don't have all the customization of a message board.

Today its going to reach 21ºC feeling like 25C, love the air out there. I was looking forward to a warm May so cold showing up in future runs better screw off, that's the last thing this boring regime needs.

Archived