• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2017 Obs/Discussion.

Chambana

I snagged my first 20ºC reading yesterday but it occurred after 6:30 pm which to me is suspect. There was a bit too much wind to really enjoy it however. I'm looking forward to experiencing summer temperatures today with a humidex over 25C, especially after the very dumb March we just had.

With the UW Waterloo weather station contest for the first 20ºC reading on the brink, I thought April 9th would be it. It stalled in the middle of the afternoon around 18ºC and then at 5:30 pm continued to about 19.5ºC before falling back at 6:15 pm. It would be a miracle if it didn't today and I'm expecting because of the very warm start it will be reached before 2:30 pm. It also reached 20ºC for the first time of the year in 2011, today; a sign that this year won't be old gum stuck to a sidewalk?

EDIT: UW Waterloo weather station jumped upwards 0.6ºC from 1:30 am to 2:00 am (now sitting at 14.6ºC)...holy cow!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp has continued to fall with gusty north winds, dropping to 28 currently with snow flurries.  What a massive difference from this time yesterday... nearly 40 degrees.  Weather wise, you can tell a mean storm has come through.  Looking at models, starting to think maybe a robust mid- April snow is going to fall tonight... I'm down, it should melt pretty quick later this week.

I won't clog today's severe thread, but here's some info on the storm that moved through.  Talked to an old-timer I saw today and he said he had never seen hail like this before!

MQT
We would like to provide some preliminary information on the storm that caused significant damage from eastern Iron County across Marquette County early this morning. Based off wind reports, radar data and the resultant damage, it has been determined that all damage along this swath was due to strong straight-line winds. At this time, there is no indication that a tornado occurred with these stor...ms. It is important to note that strong straight-line winds can cause as much damage as most tornadoes that occur in Upper Michigan, but over a much larger area. Some initial estimates of wind speeds are:
- Amasa: 70mph
- Republic: 70-80mph
- Ishpeming: 80mph
- Negaunee: 70mph (71mph at NWS Marquette)
- Marquette: 50mph
17862824_1625797194116832_8868482914218973945_n.jpg.df8344740e857dec13ee66ada0ef9233.jpg

6 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Temp has continued to fall with gusty north winds, dropping to 28 currently with snow flurries.  What a massive difference from this time yesterday... nearly 40 degrees.  Weather wise, you can tell a mean storm has come through.  Looking at models, starting to think maybe a robust mid- April snow is going to fall tonight... I'm down, it should melt pretty quick later this week.

I won't clog today's severe thread, but here's some info on the storm that moved through.  Talked to an old-timer I saw today and he said he had never seen hail like this before!

MQT
We would like to provide some preliminary information on the storm that caused significant damage from eastern Iron County across Marquette County early this morning. Based off wind reports, radar data and the resultant damage, it has been determined that all damage along this swath was due to strong straight-line winds. At this time, there is no indication that a tornado occurred with these stor...ms. It is important to note that strong straight-line winds can cause as much damage as most tornadoes that occur in Upper Michigan, but over a much larger area. Some initial estimates of wind speeds are:
- Amasa: 70mph
- Republic: 70-80mph
- Ishpeming: 80mph
- Negaunee: 70mph (71mph at NWS Marquette)
- Marquette: 50mph
17862824_1625797194116832_8868482914218973945_n.jpg.df8344740e857dec13ee66ada0ef9233.jpg

Wow thank god that didn't come through later in the year when people are camping up north, that is the type of storm that kills people.

Is there any hail still on the ground?

35 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Yeah, after the rain and melting, it's congealed into a frozen marbled sheet of ice.

Cool.  I remember one time in LAF where hail was covering the ground (it was with one of those cold core upper low setups I think) and there was still small piles many hours later.

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Snow is really winding down and doubt much more than a half inch will fall.  Total is 9.7", half of that falling between 3-6 am... tight and potent system.  Temp is up to 30 so should begin to settle and melt in the next couple hours. Tomorrow, sunny and 51.

lol that the OP titled this as the death of winter month and here you go showing nine inches of new snow.

3 hours ago, bowtie` said:

lol that the OP titled this as the death of winter month and here you go showing nine inches of new snow.

Well, April is a transition month. 

Still snowing lightly, 10.7" total.  It's winding down.  Temp never got above 30 today and the forecasted low (with fresh snow and clearing skies) is 14, but some areas will single digit I'm betting. The thick clouds and snow kept the April sun angle at bay fairly well in the woods at least.

April 12th- the anniversary of the highest wind speed in the world, measured at Mt. Washington

April 11th- the anniversary of the highest wind speed at Tecumseh, Michigan, a 151 mph gust from an F4 tornado. That airport was 1 mile from my Dad. (a.k.a Grandma's house.) This 151 mph spike on a wind data recorder was featured in Ted Fujita's paper on the Palm Sunday 1965 outbreak. Both of my parents could have been killed on April 11 1965, if they had been in slightly different places. They were in different cities, in different counties, but two F4 tornadoes tracked dozens of miles, on the same track, close to both of my parents.

Fujita, Bradbury, and Van Thullenar, "Palm Sunday Tornadoes of 1965," Monthly Weather Review, January 1970.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

I just noticed that DTW has yet to see a day with a negative departure this April.

That would explain the early greenup too (about 1-2 weeks ahead of time, and several weeks ahead of last year). 

April 6 and 7th were below normal at DTW.

Greenup is hard to tell since it's all eyeballing..it's definitely a solid week earlier than normal, not sure about 2 weeks. 

After a record or near record early green up in 2012, each of the last 4 years had been later than normal. So we are due for an earlier green up, though naturally it's nowhere near 2012.

17 hours ago, Chambana said:

Last few days have been top shelf. Mowing in full force, the wonderful aroma of grills filling the air, flowers blooming. 

JB trying to pull 2009 as a summer analog lol. 

The official Weatherbell summer forecast has above average temps in most of the country with the exception of near or slightly below normal in the center of the country where they expect lost of rain. That's different than 2009 obviously. JB did say he thinks the above normal temps in this part of the country will be more due to warm overnight lows with lots of humidity as opposed to hot daytime highs.

2 hours ago, roardog said:

The official Weatherbell summer forecast has above average temps in most of the country with the exception of near or slightly below normal in the center of the country where they expect lost of rain. That's different than 2009 obviously. JB did say he thinks the above normal temps in this part of the country will be more due to warm overnight lows with lots of humidity as opposed to hot daytime highs.

That would be shades of last summer.  Max temps didn't get out of control but it was just persistently warm and muggy.

2 hours ago, roardog said:

I could buy into the warm nights coming this summer if the pattern we have been in continues until end of May. I still think that we have a pretty hot summer just not blistering. It won't take much to rack up 90s if you are constantly starting in the low to mid 70s.

While today was good, the main issue I've been having with my local weather is how cloudy its been. There was an analysis done with the UW weather station data and found this January was the most "gloomy" since 1998 at least which is when records start for the solar radiation instrument. March and beyond I could tell it was overly cloudy. The warm days we had failed to deliver much sunlight so half the cake is missing. I prefer days with 10 hours of full sun or more.

Clouds and a band of light showers kept us near 60 through noon, but behind the showers the sun came out and shot us up to the low 70s.  A nice band of thundershowers this evening boosted my daily total to 0.53".  The grass is now at peak green and is quite dense in spots.  We have another four rain systems coming over the next week.

2 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

While today was good, the main issue I've been having with my local weather is how cloudy its been. There was an analysis done with the UW weather station data and found this January was the most "gloomy" since 1998 at least which is when records start for the solar radiation instrument. March and beyond I could tell it was overly cloudy. The warm days we had failed to deliver much sunlight so half the cake is missing. I prefer days with 10 hours of full sun or more.

I'm with you, cloudy weather is kinda miserable regardless of temperature, especially if it's rainy or drizzly. This January was especially ridiculous with the cloudiness, I'm used to the semi-persistent cloud deck but I think we went over two full weeks without seeing the sun and there was hardly a single clear sky all month. The weather hasn't been great lately and the mid-long range is only looking worse, all the storm tracks are too far south for us to get warmth without clouds/rain. I'm practically dreaming about summer at this point, consistent 70-90 degree weather, 9pm sunsets, and the occasional big thunderstorm kinda make the rest of the crappy seasons worth it.

18 hours ago, Hoosier said:

That would be shades of last summer.  Max temps didn't get out of control but it was just persistently warm and muggy.

The main difference could potentially be in the amount of severe weather.

The pattern this season is already looking much better than what we had last year.

Archived