Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJwx85

April 2017 Observations and Discussions

676 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, snywx said:

Above average precip for the month of April up this way. Resevoirs look nice and full for the city folk

Yep.  Full reservoirs and overly soggy ground everywhere.  I started to walk around and clean the yard yesterday but after about 5 minutes I got tired of my shoes nearly being pulled off so I gave up.  

1 person likes this

More 80 potential for the local warmer areas to close out April and add to the monthly departure.

Current rankings for warmest April through the 25th....NYC...6....LGA....3.....EWR...9.....BDR....3.....ISP....5....JFK....5

KEWR_2017042600_ecmwf_min_max_10.thumb.png.a11078f73746437efe9a8a42728e2527.png

You guys keep talking about the warm April but it sure doesn't seem like it.  It's been cool, grey and dreary here and that doesn't make it feel like a warm month at all.  Are the departures as positive at KDXR as closer to the coast?  I have a feeling the answer is no but it won't surprise me if they are because we haven't had cold nights, just blah days.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

You guys keep talking about the warm April but it sure doesn't seem like it.  It's been cool, grey and dreary here and that doesn't make it feel like a warm month at all.  Are the departures as positive at KDXR as closer to the coast?  I have a feeling the answer is no but it won't surprise me if they are because we haven't had cold nights, just blah days.

This month is certainly an unusual combination of very warm days and cooler damp onshore flow days. Since the warm day departures have been more frequent and much larger than the cool ones, many locations in the East are at top 10 warmest levels. We see a continuation of this pattern going forward where the current smaller neg departure days will be followed by larger ones when 80 degree warmth returns to the warmer spots. Also many stations have seen very high monthly mins without an April freeze.

C-SUvjEXgAAdJpN.jpg-small.jpg.3d5883cbf27553e6ee098dd11aee25d3.jpg

2 people like this

Obviously a long way off, but the GFS has another big upper level system with multiple surface lows towards the second half of next week.

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

This month is certainly an unusual combination of very warm days and cooler damp onshore flow days. Since the warm day departures have been more frequent and much larger than the cool ones, many locations in the East are at top 10 warmest levels. We see a continuation of this pattern going forward where the current smaller neg departure days will be followed by larger ones when 80 degree warmth returns to the warmer spots. Also many stations have seen very high monthly mins without an April freeze.

C-SUvjEXgAAdJpN.jpg-small.jpg.3d5883cbf27553e6ee098dd11aee25d3.jpg

Could Saturday be the warmest/hottest day of the month?

45 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Could Saturday be the warmest/hottest day of the month?

We had a day in the upper 80s. I dont think we get that warm. 

9 minutes ago, dWave said:

We had a day in the upper 80s. I dont think we get that warm. 

Mid 80s here, but I don't see that as very likely either.