Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2017 Observations and Discussions

NJwx85

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, snywx said:

Above average precip for the month of April up this way. Resevoirs look nice and full for the city folk

Yep.  Full reservoirs and overly soggy ground everywhere.  I started to walk around and clean the yard yesterday but after about 5 minutes I got tired of my shoes nearly being pulled off so I gave up.  

Actually saw this hammock blow off a terrace walking to the subway. I was across the street  and didn't even realize it hit someone. Only reason it wasnt worse was becuae it kind of "parachuted" as it came down a bit. Weird thing. 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/25/pedestrian-struck-injured-by-hammock-that-blew-off-lower-manhattan-roof/

More 80 potential for the local warmer areas to close out April and add to the monthly departure.

Current rankings for warmest April through the 25th....NYC...6....LGA....3.....EWR...9.....BDR....3.....ISP....5....JFK....5

KEWR_2017042600_ecmwf_min_max_10.thumb.png.a11078f73746437efe9a8a42728e2527.png

You guys keep talking about the warm April but it sure doesn't seem like it.  It's been cool, grey and dreary here and that doesn't make it feel like a warm month at all.  Are the departures as positive at KDXR as closer to the coast?  I have a feeling the answer is no but it won't surprise me if they are because we haven't had cold nights, just blah days.

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

You guys keep talking about the warm April but it sure doesn't seem like it.  It's been cool, grey and dreary here and that doesn't make it feel like a warm month at all.  Are the departures as positive at KDXR as closer to the coast?  I have a feeling the answer is no but it won't surprise me if they are because we haven't had cold nights, just blah days.

This month is certainly an unusual combination of very warm days and cooler damp onshore flow days. Since the warm day departures have been more frequent and much larger than the cool ones, many locations in the East are at top 10 warmest levels. We see a continuation of this pattern going forward where the current smaller neg departure days will be followed by larger ones when 80 degree warmth returns to the warmer spots. Also many stations have seen very high monthly mins without an April freeze.

C-SUvjEXgAAdJpN.jpg-small.jpg.3d5883cbf27553e6ee098dd11aee25d3.jpg

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

This month is certainly an unusual combination of very warm days and cooler damp onshore flow days. Since the warm day departures have been more frequent and much larger than the cool ones, many locations in the East are at top 10 warmest levels. We see a continuation of this pattern going forward where the current smaller neg departure days will be followed by larger ones when 80 degree warmth returns to the warmer spots. Also many stations have seen very high monthly mins without an April freeze.

C-SUvjEXgAAdJpN.jpg-small.jpg.3d5883cbf27553e6ee098dd11aee25d3.jpg

Could Saturday be the warmest/hottest day of the month?

3 hours ago, qg_omega said:

The whole warm up looks dirty, even saturdays warmth looks mired in clouds.

Yeah, that's often the case with warm ups this time of year. Early clouds...quick temp rise away from marine influence with breaks of sun...more clouds late with the backdoor. It's very rare to get an uninterrupted run of heat for 3-4 days without any breaks. April 2002 was one exception when Newark reached 90 degrees 4 days in a row.

Archived