Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2017 Observations and Discussions

NJwx85

17 hours ago, Paragon said:

Well sheesh, I remember that was a Friday night, and Saturday morning when I tried to get out, my door felt like it was superglued shut!  Then it started to get windy and I was worried about power outages.

By the way you should be happy :P we're talking about high temperature extremes and ice storms in the same thread lol.

January 7-8th, 1994 was the second greatest ice storm since 1960 in NYC...Dec. 73 is the worst...I have a video of it in my almanac thread...I went to work early Friday morning around 6am on the 7th...I had to hold on to some fences while walking down the block...all freezing rain at that point...Then sleet mixed in during the day...Mostly freezing rain at night and early Saturday morning...some flurries at the end and temperatures remained below freezing...I had around 1/2-3/4 of an inch of icing on exposed objects...This is an under rated storm for that year...there was an ice storm a few days before but we got into a milder sector and most of the ice melted from trees and other objects...

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I always thought McKinley Park was a great place for a weather obs sight...Prospect Park used to have a weather recording sight years ago...I believe Floyd Benett field did also..

As I recall the park had a broad hill. It was right across the street from St Ephrems Church and school. My mother used to bring me to the park in the early fifties. I lived on 75th off of 11th. When a good T storm would approach from the west it seemed very dramatic to me 65 years ago.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

You have to guess the sites from the green dots. The 5 boroughs of NYC will all be rooftop sites. The first is going in at the Queens College campus. My guesses for the other boroughs are...near Brooklyn College....near NYC upper west side...NW section of Staten Island..NW Bronx. It also looks like OKX may join the network.

58f245787cba0_Screenshot2017-04-15at12_02_09PM.png.bcd357a3390c4784bf4b066668a94f95.png

58f24bc4cc0d0_Queenscollege.thumb.jpg.9d2ae7419202a69ec36d1f1abd274b1e.jpg

I hope we get a station in northern Nassau and/or NW Suffolk. That 100 mile void between LGA and Southold needs to be filled. A station in Jones Beach or Long Beach would be nice too.

1 hour ago, rclab said:

As I recall the park had a broad hill. It was right across the street from St Ephrems Church and school. My mother used to bring me to the park in the early fifties. I lived on 75th off of 11th. When a good T storm would approach from the west it seemed very dramatic to me 65 years ago.

I went to McKinley Junior high just across the street from the park from 9/61 to 6/64...It was one of a few parks with parallel bars and chinning bar...

39 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I went to McKinley Junior high just across the street from the park from 9/61 to 6/64...It was one of a few parks with parallel bars and chinning bar...

I went to St Ephrems 1952 to 60. I never remember any interaction problems with the McKinly students. I also remember using the Jr. Highs schools facilities in the summer. Different days and times I guess.

We used to play war games and attack the hill. I remember the kids park with the slides and no protective ground cover or anything, by today's standards little of what was there than, would be allowed to exist We did survive, however.

On 4/14/2017 at 6:19 PM, bluewave said:

Here's a great page courtesy of Northshorewx on the 78 ice storm:

The surface map shows how brutal the airmass was: -40F temps in Quebec. That strong high pressure allowed for a coastal hugger to keep the City, and especially LI, below freezing even with the tight track which caused mid-level temps to be well-above freezing. It actually looks a bit like the 3/14/17 storm this year, though with a much better high pressure (and climo is about 10F colder in mid January than mid March).

The 500mb map also shows the predominant hemispheric pattern in Winter 1977-78: a western ridge that amplified back into Alaska causing a very -EPO. This strong meridional pattern caused the Cleveland Superbomb, the Blizzard of February 78, and the cold high pressure that followed that major snowfall. Great pattern.

Interestingly, 76-77, 77-78, and 78-79 all had a huge -EPO. 76-77 was the coldest winter in the East, especially Jan 1977, and 78-79 was the coldest winter in the CONUS since records began in the late 1800s. Every single state had below normal temperatures in Winter 78-79.

48 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Same theme on the EPS with energy undercutting the big high over SE Canada to Greenland. Today should be our last 80's until May. Plenty of days with easterly flow coming up for the second half of April with more rain chances to help put the drought even further behind us.

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNormMean_namer_6.thumb.png.6cc7bb5048e5d2282d6d77e9e3464777.png

C9iSlxEWsAAKZl5.jpg-small.jpg.4be55d4561e097d7968ce1ee4af33d09.jpg

Seems like we're entering a cool and fairly wet period.  I think 70's might even be hard to reach after Monday.

14 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Seems like we're entering a cool and fairly wet period.  I think 70's might even be hard to reach after Monday.

Temps will probably be in the 60's for the most part with at least a few days reaching into the 70's. I agree with Bluewave, no more 80 degree temps after today until next month. Cooler and wetter will be the theme the remainder of April and probably to start May as well.

2 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Temps will probably be in the 60's for the most part with at least a few days reaching into the 70's. I agree with Bluewave, no more 80 degree temps after today until next month. Cooler and wetter will be the theme the remainder of April and probably to start May as well.

Yeah, it also depends on the timing of the rain.  My forecast for Wednesday is only 56° with showers in the afternoon.

31 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Upper 60s this time of year is well above normal.

Archived