Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2017 Observations and Discussions

NJwx85

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nice. 71 here now, short of yesterday's 74. 

I dont know how you live down there.

It's actually better down here during the summer since we get great seabreezes to take the edge off the heat. The only exception are the very hot offshore flow days when the seabreeze is cutoff.

3 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

It's funny because I didn't get any thunder at all.  That goes to show it picked up strength.  We'll have to see if that batch in PA holds together.

Most of the lightning with that cell was further South.

Looks like a few more chances of showers before things clear up this afternoon. I have a flight out of EWR tonight so I need this to clear up sooner than later.

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It's actually better down here during the summer since we get great seabreezes to take the edge off the heat. The only exception are the very hot offshore flow days when the seabreeze is cutoff.

I guess. But you are cold until mid-June and change over very often in the winter. So for 2 months of the year you win, lol

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Most of the lightning with that cell was further South.

Looks like a few more chances of showers before things clear up this afternoon. I have a flight out of EWR tonight so I need this to clear up sooner than later.

Hopefully we can clear up soon.  Vegas should be pretty toasty.

13 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I guess. But you are cold until mid-June and change over very often in the winter. So for 2 months of the year you win, lol

With the winter storms that really count like January 2016 we stay all snow. If we have mixing issues here, then it eventually makes it north to your area.

Just now, bluewave said:

With the winter storms that really count like January 2016 we stay all snow. If we have mixing issues here, then it eventually makes it north to your area.

Agree to disagree I guess. I had about 44" inches of snow this winter, about the same as Upton. South Shore areas got less.

It's also the LI sound effect. I think it was January blizzard this year where the north shore cashed in on a sound enhanced inverted trough, which didnt make it south of the LIE for the most part. The north shore from Bayside, Queens east often add to their totals due to this effect. 

In marginal events, which there were a few this winter, you were "snowing" but not sticking, while we had a snow covered roads. So its more complicated than the south shore areas staying all snow. For example, in the sleet storm, blizzard bust, i was sleeting for 2-3 hours below freezing after ISP had turned to rain already. 

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Yea 74.1 now, warmer than yesterday

Edit: 75, 6 above forecast

Car thermometer maxed out at 76 out there, I wasn't expecting that. The sun felt intense for a bit, but it clouded up. Now I'm by JFK and the temp plummeted from the 70's to 63 during the shower that passed through, should warm up again though.

3 hours ago, psv88 said:

Agree to disagree I guess. I had about 44" inches of snow this winter, about the same as Upton. South Shore areas got less.

It's also the LI sound effect. I think it was January blizzard this year where the north shore cashed in on a sound enhanced inverted trough, which didnt make it south of the LIE for the most part. The north shore from Bayside, Queens east often add to their totals due to this effect. 

In marginal events, which there were a few this winter, you were "snowing" but not sticking, while we had a snow covered roads. So its more complicated than the south shore areas staying all snow. For example, in the sleet storm, blizzard bust, i was sleeting for 2-3 hours below freezing after ISP had turned to rain already. 

The South Shore did great with the blizzard January when JFK set their all time record for the heaviest snowstorm. 

http://www.weather.gov/okx/Blizzard_Jan2016

Further east tracks like Jan 15,February 13, and December 09 were more of a problem for me rather than north vs south. If a storm is going to changeover, then it isn't a big deal for me if it's an hour or two faster than the North Shore.

26 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The South Shore did great with the blizzard January when JFK set their all time record for the heaviest snowstorm. 

http://www.weather.gov/okx/Blizzard_Jan2016

Further east tracks like Jan 15,February 13, and December 09 were more of a problem for me rather than north vs south. If a storm is going to changeover, then it isn't a big deal for me if it's an hour or two faster than the North Shore.

With SWFE's for example, many times the south shore changes over or mixes while the north shore stays all frozen right to the end of the storm. 

Jim from Long Beach will tell you his experiences with that...

The Snowicane i believe comes to mind as another example, where  the south shore mixed but LIE north stayed all snow and we dumped, got like 16" or some crazy amount. I believe it was the snowicane.

The difference between Commack and ISP and even FRG in marginal events is huge. Once you go even further north towards Caumsett its like a different climate altogether. 

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

With SWFE's for example, many times the south shore changes over or mixes while the north shore stays all frozen right to the end of the storm. 

Jim from Long Beach will tell you his experiences with that...

The Snowicane i believe comes to mind, where  the south shore mixed but LIE north stayed all snow and we dumped, got like 16" or some crazy amount. I believe it was the snowicane.

I don't really mind with SWFE's since they aren't our top end snowstorms anyway. It's more of a disappointment for me when KU's track too far east for me to jackpot.

1 hour ago, Tekken_Guy said:

After today looks like we're going back to typical April mildness. We'll get a warm Sunday but highs will stay in the 60s for the most part.

The Euro has a slightly slower frontal passage on Sunday with 80's again. With more of a WSW flow, parts of Long Island may see their first 80 of the year.

ecmwf_t2max_nyc_19.thumb.png.916d4cf54225eaa87f81c95280c62c93.png

11 hours ago, Tekken_Guy said:

Are we looking at another "warmless" spell like the one we had in April-May of last year?

What "warm less spell" we've been doing nothing but torching and it looks to continue with the pacific firehose promoting more eastern ridging. 

Guarantee this April ends up being another top 10 warmest month. 

Archived