Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2017 Observations and Discussions

NJwx85

41 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Isnt that common as we get later into spring with a drop in the AO? I know the NAO correlation to crappy weather is basically nil by the end of spring but does it work the same for the ao?

The reversal between the customary AO-Temperature relationship takes place in late summer.

AO04112017.jpg

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Way too early for this type of warmth. I'd be perfectly happy with low to mid 70s, don't need 80s until summer.

And this will probably end up being another top ten warm month. At this point our climo is basically a joke since the baseline has clearly jumped considerably. 

If we add about 2 or 3 degrees to each month's climo we will get the true average for today's climate.

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Isnt that common as we get later into spring with a drop in the AO? I know the NAO correlation to crappy weather is basically nil by the end of spring but does it work the same for the ao?

in this case it's the pacific. the west coast/alaska is the one place that can screw with our correlations. feb 15 had a very positive ao but favorable pac ridging overrode it and we froze. feb 2012 had a a -ao but pna troughing overrode it and we torched

4th earliest in the year that Albany reached 87 degrees or higher.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
504 PM EDT TUE APR 11 2017

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ALBANY NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 87 DEGREES WAS SET AT ALBANY NY TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 82 SET IN 2011 AND 1945.

16 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

I was always curious as to what causes this phenomenon.  Wavelength variation?

It might be that the ocean is at its warmest then so the onshore flow cooling from the -AO/-NAO backdoor cold fronts is reduced.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, nzucker said:

May 10, 2010 is the latest 32F I've witnessed in Dobbs Ferry (ironically in one of the warmest springs on record), but I'm sure there were later freezes in past years. Memorial Day is probably the cut-off for the latest historical freeze in southern Westchester...we got close in 2013 with IP falling that weekend while NH/ME had snow.

Yeah, I checked the records for the COOP station nearest to me, and it appears 33F was reached as late as May 25th. Last freezing temperature was the 20th.

Yesterday 81 and today 83 here. It seems like we've been doing the "second week of April 80F dance" almost every year lately.

15 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

This morning's low temperature of 61° at Central Park is in line to become the highest minimum temperature on record for April 11. The record is 58°, which was set in 1922 and tied in 1955. The high temperature on 4/11/1922 was 80° and the maximum reading on 4/11/1955 was a record 84°.

As per the MOS, it is extremely likely that the temperature will fall below the 58° minimum from 1922 and 1955 and very unlikely that it will fall below this morning's 61° reading.

Looks like 61 will hold for the new record.

We are just setting record high mins left and right these days.

Spring 80 degree warmth at places like Newark is 2 weeks earlier than it was in the 1980's. The average first 80 of the year at Newark was 4-21 during the 1980's. For the most recent 10 year interval it's closer to 4-7. So at the current pace of warming, the first 80 of the season on average may arrive at Newark in late March in another 30 years. After the earliest 80 last year on March 9th, it's possible within 30 years Newark sees an 80 degree reading near the end of February.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That's a nice thunderstorm developing almost on top of you. It's expanding in coverage as it slowly moves East.

Yep, it's expanding and strengthening ever so slightly to the east of me.  Looks like there's another band coming this way, not as strong though.

Archived