NJwx85

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/7/2017 at 6:34 PM, ForestHillWx said:

Snow/sleet/graupel shower currently. 

On 4/7/2017 at 6:42 PM, JerseyWx said:

Wet snow with moderate sleet mixed in.

Did any of you guys get any accumulation? Even a dusting?  Looks like the snow occurred at 700 ft or higher and was over by midnight?  It's the Anniversary of the April 7, 2003 snowstorm where we received 8" (both Monticello and the South Shore of Long Island got that, which is unusual.)  The Yankee home opener was snowed out and they played it the next day when Matsui hit his historic home opener grand slam (the only thing better was his last game as a Yankee when he hit 2 HR and drove in 6 runs and was the World Series MVP in 2009 even though he only played in 3 games since he was the DH- the first time a DH ever won that award.)  I also enjoyed the April 9, 1996 home opener (Andy Pettitte pitched in both openers) when the Yankees played the entire game through a moderate to heavy snow (we got 5" here in that one but parts of Long Island had over a foot.)   Johnny Damon looked like a baby in that game lol and snow was accumulating on Andy Pettitte's cap!

2 hours ago, Paragon said:

Did any of you guys get any accumulation? Even a dusting?  Looks like the snow occurred at 700 ft or higher and was over by midnight?  It's the Anniversary of the April 7, 2003 snowstorm where we received 8" (both Monticello and the South Shore of Long Island got that, which is unusual.)  The Yankee home opener was snowed out and they played it the next day when Matsui hit his historic home opener grand slam (the only thing better was his last game as a Yankee when he hit 2 HR and drove in 6 runs and was the World Series MVP in 2009 even though he only played in 3 games since he was the DH- the first time a DH ever won that award.)  I also enjoyed the April 9, 1996 home opener (Andy Pettitte pitched in both openers) when the Yankees played the entire game through a moderate to heavy snow (we got 5" here in that one but parts of Long Island had over a foot.)   Johnny Damon looked like a baby in that game lol and snow was accumulating on Andy Pettitte's cap!

In my area it was pretty much a 15-20 min. event from 6:40 P.M. to around 7:00 P.M.  It started as heavy sleet.  After that it went to a moderate wet snow (pretty decent rates actually), still with some sleet mixed in.  Frozen stuff lasted maybe 10 minutes, then plain rain took over.  No accumulations at all, but nonetheless that was probably the last hurrah of Winter lol.

First 80 or greater potential this week in the warmer parts of the area away from the ocean influence. This is very close to the current 15 year average for TTN-EWR corridor. Could see some stronger Ambrose Jet activity near the South Shore of Long Island with the big temperature differential.

15 year average first 80 dates around the area

TTN...4-8

EWR...4-9

NYC...4-18

LGA...4-20

JFK...4-30

BDR..5-4

ISP...5-4

8 hours ago, Paragon said:

Funny I was watching that game on YES yesterday the Matsui grand slam

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

29.5F this morning here. Still before my average last freeze date which is circa April 18th. I expect to see at least a couple more nights sub freezing.

Just hit 32° here.  Seems you radiate very well.  I'm hoping we at least see some more frost before the months end.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

First 80 or greater potential this week in the warmer parts of the area away from the ocean influence. This is very close to the current 15 year average for TTN-EWR corridor. Could see some stronger Ambrose Jet activity near the South Shore of Long Island with the big temperature differential.

15 year average first 80 dates around the area

TTN...4-8

EWR...4-9

NYC...4-18

LGA...4-20

JFK...4-30

BDR..5-4

ISP...5-4

My station average is 4/14 for past 15 years...Last year though was 3/10.

55 minutes ago, doncat said:

My station average is 4/14 for past 15 years...Last year though was 3/10.

Yeah, a little later than EWR and TTN on average. But earlier than points east like me on Long Island  with more cooling ocean influence. The earliest 80 at JFK and ISP was 3-13-90. It's tough to get such strong early season WAA on a west wind.

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

29.5 here as well. Temp dropped 13 degrees from midnight to 5 am

Edit: actually hit 29.4

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Just hit 32° here.  Seems you radiate very well.  I'm hoping we at least see some more frost before the months end.

Yeah, winds were still busy here until about 4am. If we decoupled earlier, it likely would have been colder. We are generally one of the cooler spots in NJ other than the SNJ Pine Barrens and the deeper valleys of NW NJ on clear / calm nights. I've personally witnessed frost as late as mid May around here, and I know out latest 32F on record was around the end of May. But most years we can count on some sub freezing nights into late April.

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

Yeah, winds were still busy here until about 4am. If we decoupled earlier, it likely would have been colder. We are generally one of the cooler spots in NJ other than the SNJ Pine Barrens and the deeper valleys of NW NJ on clear / calm nights. I've personally witnessed frost as late as mid May around here, and I know out latest 32F on record was around the end of May. But most years we can count on some sub freezing nights into late April.

I used to think your area was closer to the Pine Barrens than it is.  Like you mentioned, around my area, the valley locations are the best chance at seeing a late Spring or early Fall frost. 

On 4/8/2017 at 7:58 AM, bluewave said:

The more rural areas near the coast  are later but both areas are experiencing an expansion of their growing seasons. Rooftop gardening/AG is pretty big now in places like Brooklyn.

I know in northeast Pa we have had a freeze in mid May for the last 4 seasons, I'm talking north of Scranton.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

MGJ gets the daily temperature range award today at 41 degrees so far with a 70/29 Hi/Lo. That's a +12/-6 split on the day with a 58/35 normal.

70.gif.c36214b0e8f10591d5157df87d604880.gif

65/29 here today. ISP only hit 58 today, FRG 61, strong N/S gradient, north shore much warmer than places south of the LIE

12 hours ago, Isotherm said:

May 10, 2010 is the latest 32F I've witnessed in Dobbs Ferry (ironically in one of the warmest springs on record), but I'm sure there were later freezes in past years. Memorial Day is probably the cut-off for the latest historical freeze in southern Westchester...we got close in 2013 with IP falling that weekend while NH/ME had snow.

Archived