Newest Member
    joxey
April 2017 Observations and Discussions

NJwx85

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I don't think it's that uncommon. I remember full leaf out being weeks earlier when I lived in md during college. Also 70 degree spring days were the norm down there in April 

I am from LI as well and went to law school down in DC.  I found that the climatic differences between the two regions are especially pronounced during this time of year.  Many times, I would see my LI friends and family shivering in damp, 40-degree weather while I was basking in 85-degree glory.

I distinctly recall my parents visiting in February 2011 and being astonished at the nearly 80-degree temperature they walked into.

3 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

I am from LI as well and went to law school down in DC.  I found that the climatic differences between the two regions are especially pronounced during this time of year.  Many times, I would see my LI friends and family shivering in damp, 40-degree weather while I was basking in 85-degree glory.

I distinctly recall my parents visiting in February 2011 and being astonished at the nearly 80-degree temperature they walked into.

Such a different climate between the two areas.  Amazing how early Spring can come down there too.  Like you said, this time of year it's especially pronounced.

Never got above 50F here today in the Bronx. Major bust on afternoon highs as the backdoor front remained in play all day with low overcast and drizzle.

Temps should gradually rise through the night, should see a great day tomorrow as the cold front swings winds around to the west and we rise into the 60s.

9 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I almost freaked getting off the subway here at 116th. When I left wantagh it was fairly mild and upper 50s. Mid 40s here now. Very very rare to have it this much cooler in Manhattan then the south shore of Li this time of year. We had another day just like this a couple weeks ago. 

I know!  I thought it was a pretty good day here, the sun popped out in the afternoon and we were in the mid 50s.

Models continuing with first 80 potential of the season next week in the warm spots with deep SW flow and very warm +12C or greater 850's. The normally cold biased GEFS has a +20 potential departure day in parts of NY State.

ps2png-atls15-a82bacafb5c306db76464bc7e824bb75-1T6cO5.png.b450f9f8884b1a4c19a57879063e4ec0.png

D6.jpg.84c19b5206bbf1f1ef46e884d260614e.jpg

17 hours ago, Eduardo said:

I've noticed that too. This time of year is when the divide btwn the DC area and here is at its largest. When spring arrives  it doesn't hold back down there, for us its like a 12 round boxing match before Spring weather permanently sets in. Sometimes 90% of the country can be avg to above avg and we get stuck in dreary chilly days in the NE and esp New England. Geography doesn't work in our favor for early springs. When I lived in DC at first I underestimated the fact that it's 100+ miles from the Atlantic Ocean, makes a big difference. During winter what I hated was even when it was cold enough for snow  storms would bomb out too far N&E to get in on the real action. Just some wrap around snow showers while its a blizzard in Philly and northward.

16 hours ago, nzucker said:

Never got above 50F here today in the Bronx. Major bust on afternoon highs as the backdoor front remained in play all day with low overcast and drizzle.

Temps should gradually rise through the night, should see a great day tomorrow as the cold front swings winds around to the west and we rise into the 60s.

not looking good for 60s...

4 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Looks like the clouds have cleared out/burned away. Should be a nice day. 

It looks like a break is forming over SNE, still 95% overcast here although it has thinned out somewhat over the last hour. West of here out in PA though the cloud deck does appear to be retreating so maybe we do salvage a party sunny afternoon.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

It looks like a break is forming over SNE, still 95% overcast here although it has thinned out somewhat over the last hour. West of here out in PA though the cloud deck does appear to be retreating so maybe we do salvage a party sunny afternoon.

still mostly cloudy here...52 degrees.   

Just now, Cfa said:

It cleared out here in central Suffolk a little earlier before clouding up again. The sky is roughly 65% cloudy and 35% blue at the moment. Temp is 56°F.

Best way to describe the conditions here as well. Go figure after my post it clouds up a bit! 

2 hours ago, Cfa said:

It cleared out here in central Suffolk a little earlier before clouding up again. The sky is roughly 65% cloudy and 35% blue at the moment. Temp is 56°F.

...had 61* @ my house..went down to the bay(1 mile away)..

48*..heavy fog..SSE wind right in your face..what a diff in just 1 mile.

gotta love the east end in spring.

Archived