Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2017 Observations and Discussions

NJwx85

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The shift from wet to very warm is a real possibility, IMO.

Don that system will bring accumulating snows to Chicago, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Buffalo and the mountains from PA to W VA to NC to northern GA!  Lots of frost next weekend from TN to PA also.

30 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I have about half of my yard cleaned and raked up, planning on finishing it this week.  I seed in the fall, its a better time for the type of seed I use and the soil temps are warmer.

seeding in the fall is better for weed control and heat.    IF you seed in the spring it will look nice until later in the summer when the weeds take over and the heat fries it....

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

seeding in the fall is better for weed control and heat.    IF you seed in the spring it will look nice until later in the summer when the weeds take over and the heat fries it....

Well if you seed in the spring too you can't put down crabgrass preventer in that area where you seed 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

Temp bust today? Backdoor slicing through monmouth with temps in the 50s vs forecasts of mid / upper 60s.

Yea, forecast here was 61F, sitting at 46F here in the Bronx (Pelham Bay). NWS has had a lot of temps bust too warm (colder weather than expected) in the last two weeks.

Raw out. Chose the light jacket, almost wish I had worn my winter one.

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Currently 48 at ewr

Eastern Essex-
1155 AM EDT Tue Apr 4 2017

.THIS AFTERNOON...Cloudy with a chance of showers. Areas of fog.
Isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 60s. Northeast winds
5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent. 

How can they forecast mid 60s while acknowledging NE winds and showers? It's April 4th, not June 4th. Average highs are only in the mid to upper 50s anyway, and it's snowing in New Hampshire and Maine.

54 minutes ago, psv88 said:

There's actually a 10 degree gradient on LI from north to south, low to mid 50's on the south shore and low 40's on the north shore, NE winds off the sound doing the dirty work

Example, 54 at JFK and 46 at LGA

I almost freaked getting off the subway here at 116th. When I left wantagh it was fairly mild and upper 50s. Mid 40s here now. Very very rare to have it this much cooler in Manhattan then the south shore of Li this time of year. We had another day just like this a couple weeks ago. 

5 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Just seems that we have been on the wrong side of the back doors for the past several weeks (if you prefer milder temps anyway). There have been numerous occasions recently in which D.C. is around +30, including today. Philly is +25.

I don't think it's that uncommon. I remember full leaf out being weeks earlier when I lived in md during college. Also 70 degree spring days were the norm down there in April 

1 hour ago, ILoveWinter said:

Just seems that we have been on the wrong side of the back doors for the past several weeks (if you prefer milder temps anyway). There have been numerous occasions recently in which D.C. is around +30, including today. Philly is +25.

Do you mean 30F warmer than we are, or warmer than the average there? Because I severely doubt today's anomaly in DC is +30...it's around 70F in the mid-Atlantic, and average highs are near 60F there, maybe low 60s.

Archived