7th wettest March on record for JFK with 5.79"

2010  8.62 0
2 1980 8.17 0
3 2001 7.00 0
4 1993 6.83 0
5 1983 6.66 0
6 1984 5.99 0
7 2017 5.79 0

Saw on the news that SE Queens was drowning under floods of a foot or more.  Really poor drainage in that area.

56 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

What's going on with the upcoming systems this week?

It looks like a widespread 3-4 inches of rain for the northeast this week. Flooding is going to become a very real possibility and flood prone areas need to start preparing now. This pattern is no joke. Deluge coming it would appear

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

AM heavy warm front overrunning rains followed by PM storms with the cold front. Models bring 70 degree readings nearly to the I-78 corridor ahead of the cold front in the afternoon. So those areas have a chance to destabilize after the morning rains.

The severe weather threat looks legit

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just got back from my first boardwalk run of the season. Jones beach was packed!! Reminds me of February today!! 

This made me laugh " reminds me of February" to speak of Spring weather. Lol. 

Brilliant sun and 54 Port Jefferson Village - which is also crowded with ferry day trippers, motorcyclists, and then a health sized mob of people seeking restorative Vitamin D. 

US Naval Observatory sun angle link is down, but I believe vitamin D metabolizes only with sun angle above 50 degrees. I *believe* that's only like 12-2 this time of year, so get out in sun now. 

2 hours ago, bkviking said:

This made me laugh " reminds me of February" to speak of Spring weather. Lol. 

Brilliant sun and 54 Port Jefferson Village - which is also crowded with ferry day trippers, motorcyclists, and then a health sized mob of people seeking restorative Vitamin D. 

US Naval Observatory sun angle link is down, but I believe vitamin D metabolizes only with sun angle above 50 degrees. I *believe* that's only like 12-2 this time of year, so get out in sun now. 

I have read conflicting figures; some sources indicate greater than 45 degrees is the threshold for D conversion in the skin. If so, one could receive some D as early as the second week of March and as late as late September.

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

Warmest day of spring so far at JFK with  a+11 high of 65 degrees. Seeing the first daffodil blooms of spring.

MAXIMUM         65    252 PM  73    1986  54     11 

But still not as warm as that idyllic Sunday in February when JFK hit 68!

7 hours ago, Isotherm said:

I have read conflicting figures; some sources indicate greater than 45 degrees is the threshold for D conversion in the skin. If so, one could receive some D as early as the second week of March and as late as late September.

just get a UV lamp lol

12 hours ago, snowman19 said:

It looks like a widespread 3-4 inches of rain for the northeast this week. Flooding is going to become a very real possibility and flood prone areas need to start preparing now. This pattern is no joke. Deluge coming it would appear

first signs of the upcoming el nino

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Both Euro and GFS have the first potential 80's of the spring next week west of LI as the pattern begins to dry out a bit. But through this week it will be a very wet Nino-like start to spring. We'll see if later runs hold onto this nice surge of warmer spring temps. The average first 80 of the spring at Newark during the 2000's is April 10th.

ecmwf_t2max_12_nj_37.thumb.png.6141b729c5525a1534508920842c7357.png

Nice to see.  I think this is our last seasonable/cool week before April really sets in.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

Both Euro and GFS have the first potential 80's of the spring next week west of LI as the pattern begins to dry out a bit. But through this week it will be a very wet Nino-like start to spring. We'll see if later runs hold onto this nice surge of warmer spring temps. The average first 80 of the spring at Newark during the 2000's is April 10th.

My window a/c units are going back in this weekend. 80's next week is starting to look increasing likely 

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The shift from wet to very warm is a real possibility, IMO.

Archived