Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Storm Threat 3/31-4/1

NJwx85

7 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I'm supposed to be driving 17 to the Poconos tomorrow.

However, I've got the stomach thing…may stay home in the Bronx if it doesn't clear up.

Really would like to see the precip types up there though.

Poconos prob wont do well. Maybe some IP/ZR but the real good stuff is gonna fall in W MA/ S VT

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I hate New England

Boston under a Winter Storm Watch

They aren't going to get that much snow in Boston proper. In fact, the 18z NAM gives them very little snow until the low begins to pull away on Saturday, and that's after 12+ hours of heavy rain.

32 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I hate New England

Boston under a Winter Storm Watch

This is the perfect storm if you like rain in our area. Get outside & watch pure h2o fall from the sky. Stand there and get soaked. Measure your peak rainfall rates. Keep alert for puddles on your street. You know the drill. 

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Poconos prob wont do well. Maybe some IP/ZR but the real good stuff is gonna fall in W MA/ S VT

Wonder if this will be like the April Fools Day snowstorm- the twentieth anniversary is coming up!

I'm driving to PA on Saturday morning.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Pretty late in the season to get warning level snow events here. I think the last time the coast verified one this late was back in early April 2003.

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2003/07-Apr-03.html

I will tell you though I have more confidence in early April snowstorms than I have in March snowstorms lol.

April 1982, 1996 and 2003 were all warning events here.  Actually April 1996 had two warning level events on Eastern LI

We just barely missed in April 1997 which was a warning level event both North AND South of here (Jersey shore got 6-8")

19 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I will tell you though I have more confidence in early April snowstorms than I have in March snowstorms lol.

April 1982, 1996 and 2003 were all warning events here.  Actually April 1996 had two warning level events on Eastern LI

We just barely missed in April 1997 which was a warning level event both North AND South of here (Jersey shore got 6-8")

April 1983 too

27 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It was very impressive to get 3 warning level snow events in early April in a little over a 20 year period from 82 to 03. 82 had the famous winter Arctic outbreak along with the record cold in early April. it just wanted to snow in 96 from late November into early April. 03 also had persistent snow and cold intervals from December right into early April. We had a fairly long dry spell for early April warning level events before 82.

Just now, bluewave said:

It was very impressive to get 3 warning level snow events in early April in a little over a 20 year period from 82 to 03. 82 had the famous winter Arctic outbreak along with the record cold in early April. it just wanted to snow in 96 from late November into early April. 03 also had persistent snow and cold intervals from December right into early April.

If I remember correctly we also had a second minor event in April 1982 after the main one- about a week after.  And the snow remained on the ground for almost an entire week in between the events!

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Oh yes, latest measurable snowfall at JFK on April 20th 1-2".

Sleet in the forecast for later tonight on LI.

Who is predicting sleet for Long Island? I'm up in Rockland County (Sloatsburg), 35 miles northwest of the city, and the NWS has us as all rain, no mention of sleet even up here. The soundings certainly don't support sleet for us, let alone the city and Long Island

Just now, snowman19 said:

Who is predicting sleet for Long Island? I'm up in Rockland County (Sloatsburg), 35 miles northwest of the city, and the NWS has us as all rain, no mention of sleet even up here. The soundings certainly don't support sleet for us, let alone the city and along Island

It was on News 12 Corbell (sp?).  He said some sleet at the start of the event- while we are all asleep lol.

Just now, Paragon said:

If I remember correctly we also had a second minor event in April 1982 after the main one- about a week after.  And the snow remained on the ground for almost an entire week in between the events!

The ferocity of the April 82 blizzard is still something the 2000's snowy run hasn't been able to replicate here in a late season storm.

Just now, bluewave said:

The ferocity of the April 82 blizzard is still something the 2000's snowy run hasn't been able to replicate here in a late season storm.

Haven't seen anything like that in March- let alone April.  I wonder if historic snowstorms are something we can now say for our coastal areas will be mostly confined to DJF.  With all these March busts I would be deeply suspicious of any model or even model consensus that showed 10"+ of snow for our coastal areas from March 1st onwards.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Haven't seen anything like that in March- let alone April.  I wonder if historic snowstorms are something we can now say for our coastal areas will be mostly confined to DJF.  With all these March busts I would be deeply suspicious of any model or even model consensus that showed 10"+ of snow for our coastal areas from March 1st onwards.

Nothing's off the table considering we just had an October snowstorm

4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

That was historic if you were about 20 miles to the NW of the city.  The earliest HECS I can remember I experienced was in early December 2003.  I wouldn't even consider the early November 2012 snowstorm historic- but it was certainly major (8" here.)

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

What about the snowstorm a week after Sandy? Coastal NJ and NYC received 6-8 inches of snow from that the first week in November.

Yeah here too.  8" here in Nassau County.  (But by historic I mean a foot or more early or late in the season and over 20 inches in the middle of the season.)

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

That was historic if you were about 20 miles to the NW of the city.  The earliest HECS I can remember I experienced was in early December 2003.  I wouldn't even consider the early November 2012 snowstorm historic-m but it was certainly major (8" here.)

It was historic for the time of year even for the coast and nyc. During winter it would've been just a run of the mill event

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

It was historic for the time of year even for the coast and nyc. During winter it would've been just a run of the mill event

Yeah 1-3 in October is miraculous for the coast, but I guess I was referring more to the crippling kind of snowstorm.

Maybe in the winter with SST a lot colder it would have been much more snow.  Heck, even in November.

23 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

20 minutes ago, Paragon said:

That was historic if you were about 20 miles to the NW of the city.  The earliest HECS I can remember I experienced was in early December 2003.  I wouldn't even consider the early November 2012 snowstorm historic- but it was certainly major (8" here.)

16" of snow here from that halloween snowstorm. Epic!

9 minutes ago, snywx said:

16" of snow here from that halloween snowstorm. Epic!

I know!  I was actually in PA for that one and we lost a lot of trees with the heavy wet snow and there was a lot of thundersnow.  I couldn't believe this was happening in October, as we'd seen snow in October before but only a couple of inches and nothing like this.

I'm not sure exactly how much we got but it was more than a foot.

Halloween festivities were delayed by more than a week ;-)

Archived