Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It's hard to get a powder storm this time of year.  But April 2016 proved the exception 

it is ... i was just commenting on this in the other thread, that we're good to go for snow in general (though obviously with dwindling probability to do so) until quite late, but... in the absence of the deeper, fresher cold these late blueberries tend to be elevation dependent. 

Not sure this thing is of that April 2005, or April 2016 ilk.. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Not that anyone cares but I've got an eye on it.  Every 20 years (approximately) we have a late season bomb.  

1977 (May)

i hope it happens because 2037 is no guarantee for me to say the least....lol.

Heh, honestly... not that you asked but this isn't a bomb - though it may snow prodigiously ... 

Particularly, I could see 850' hills of N. Worc. Co cashing in with pine trees caked shut like dormant parasols. 

But lower els need work from the models and ...well, reality. 

I think the "bomb" signal might be the late middle/early extended range actually - 

Long time lurker, first time poster...thanks for the great discussion here guys.  Much more pleasant than some alternatives.

I'm at about 1000' MSL in Rutland, MA - while the south-facing slopes have thawed, there's still a decent snow pack in the shadows, in areas that drifted after the last storm, and certainly in the woods.  Any thoughts on temperature effects with this system due to existing snowpack?

Thanks!

sg

48 minutes ago, dryslot said:

lol at the 12z NAM

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

well... laugh all you want, it's not an impossible result. 

Eventually, it won't snow anymore and/or the snow expectation should naturally shift N with the ensuing seasonal change... 

I know that you're seeing Mets posting these terse trash comments about the NAM; though they may very well be proven right, they would be wrong to suggest those solutions are off the table.  

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Eventually, it won't snow anymore and/or the snow expectation should naturally shift N with the ensuing seasonal change... 

I know that you're seeing Mets posting these terse trash comments about the NAM; though they may very well be proven right, they would be wrong to suggest those solutions are off the table.  

I do see more of a wide swing in the NAM for this.  Compare the last few runs... yesterday it was dumping in S CT...

11 minutes ago, ScottGridley said:

Long time lurker, first time poster...thanks for the great discussion here guys.  Much more pleasant than some alternatives.

I'm at about 1000' MSL in Rutland, MA - while the south-facing slopes have thawed, there's still a decent snow pack in the shadows, in areas that drifted after the last storm, and certainly in the woods.  Any thoughts on temperature effects with this system due to existing snowpack?

Thanks!

sg

I would think minimal... A bit right at the surface, but it doesn't affect it much above that this time

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No its not impossible, But just can't take the Nam serious yet, Its inline with the 0z Euro somewhat as far as the amount of qpf albeit the nam is a little overdone then the Euro.

48 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

850-925 is cold, sure. But on the coastal plain your constantly replacing that mid-level to surface thermodynamic cooling by that 40F fetch off the Atlantic. Sun or not I think the BL in the coastal plain is too warm for a notable wintry impact. 

I'll buy this event in the interior cp of ne MA.

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think people were more laughing at the big swings in it's runs.

No, of course it's not an impossible result...and neither was yesterdays big dump in CT.   All solutions are still on the table as you eluded to.

April Fools Day storm 1997.  I lived in Woburn.  Late in the evening, my roommate noticed the tarp on his motorcycle had gotten loose.  So we headed out there to try and get things fixed.  The maintenance guy came over to help us.  At the time, there was a good 10" new snow and it was coming down like gangbusters, sideways, 2-4" rates.  The maintenance guy says to us, "Dudes, I think we're gonna get a blizzid tonight!"   And we were like, no sh*t sherlock.  

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Better RGEM clown map....this is really bad that we're posting these BTW...I mean, it doesn't get much worse than the 84 hour RGEM. Maybe the NAM is worse.

SN_000-084_0000.gif

I'd rather the RGEM than the NAM though for whatever reason.

Mind sharing the link to the more zoomed in one?  I could only find the "North American" view.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'd rather the RGEM than the NAM though for whatever reason.

Mind sharing the link to the more zoomed in one?  I could only find the "North American" view.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/precipitation-accumulation.php?lang=en&map=qc&run=00&mod=gemreg&hi=000&hf=120&type=PR&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&capa_verif=off

Just now, powderfreak said:

The Rev needs to put his eggs in that basket, as much as it pains him to go with the GFS :lol:.

It's still al ittle warm for him...gets some snow in there, but it's much better north of the MA/CT border.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

hmm, thought it looked great nw of 84 and add in elevation, thats snow not rain am i right?

It's really close, it's like basically 0C in the mid-levels...it looks like maybe some dynamic cooling helps at the very heaviest. If that happened exactly like that, it would probably be a paste job at least for a portion of the storm. But there's def a little more wiggle room once you get up north of the border.

Archived