Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, ryanjn said:

Last storm the HRRR went pretty wild with a lot of 12-18in snow accum and a few higher spots just like it's doing now. So it was overdone and I think it's because ratios were so low from the wet compact nature of the snow. With this storm I don't think HRRR is going to take into account melting on contact and any wash away from rain or sleet mix.  

Online they do have the variable density accumulation product that tries to mitigate that some.

Pay attention near BOS.

acsnw_t3sfc_f10.thumb.png.69fda4325f0fa7e293eedf3fa6d189cb.png

acsnod_t3sfc_f10.thumb.png.4c8681259970d0413b2702623d437ff0.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29.9F  light snow, some blowing snow.   1.5"  poor snow growth.   Pretty meh so far up here.  Nothing much under 1 mile vis.  Temp has slowly been falling.  Accumulating on all surfaces but just not much to show for 6 hours of snow..   It's got to pick up big time to see some of the totals the models have been showing!!

11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Online they do have the variable density accumulation product that tries to mitigate that some.

Pay attention near BOS.

acsnw_t3sfc_f10.thumb.png.69fda4325f0fa7e293eedf3fa6d189cb.png

acsnod_t3sfc_f10.thumb.png.4c8681259970d0413b2702623d437ff0.png

Ahh I see. Never used that product. So instead of assuming 10:1 it takes into account the vertical profile and whatnot and adjusts accordingly. Looks like a general 4-8in for Bos on north through Merrimack Valley. Makes more sense than the 12-18in for the same area. I think 6-10 seems reasonable though for NE MA. (based on the var density from 15z through the full cycle)

Just now, ryanjn said:

Ahh I see. Never used that product. So instead of assuming 10:1 it takes into account the vertical profile and whatnot and adjusts accordingly. Looks like a general 4-8in for Bos on north through Merrimack Valley. Makes more sense than the 12-18in for the same area. I think 6-10 seems reasonable though for NE MA. 

I don't know the exact physics package, but there is an hourly snow ratio "grid" that it uses to accumulate snow. And it's not a Kuchera type ratio either, it uses vertical motion, RH, etc.

That's also just a comparison of 07z storm totals, that's as far as the most recent HRRRX was out to.

Just now, sbos_wx said:

I'm upping to 3-6" at BOS. originally 2". 

The prolonged sleet event gives me confidence. always rare. and if a ccb develops look out for april fools 2. (Likely jackpot interior)

This is an alcohol induced forecast. equivalent of me licking my finger and feeling the conditions, forecasting after that.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don't know the exact physics package, but there is an hourly snow ratio "grid" that it uses to accumulate snow. And it's not a Kuchera type ratio either, it uses vertical motion, RH, etc.

That's also just a comparison of 07z storm totals, that's as far as the most recent HRRRX was out to.

It says snow depth. Is it taking into account compaction..things like that? I always was curious if they read a little low because it says depth. Maybe it's just poor wording...I dunno.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It says snow depth. Is it taking into account compaction..things like that? I always was curious if they read a little low because it says depth. Maybe it's just poor wording...I dunno.

I always thought that too, but I just recently discovered it was an experimental snowfall accumulation product. But it does include some compaction of what has fallen too I believe.

2 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

This is an alcohol induced forecast. equivalent of me licking my finger and feeling the conditions, forecasting after that.

In alcohol's defense, it can certainly allow one to make a forecast without overthinking it.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Interesting to watch the hrrr over the next couple of hours. it washes out a good deal of ema and has snow falling in these areas. we will see.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It never decreases throughout a cycle. I believe it's snow that has fallen, but if it all melts on the last few frames it won't decrease it. So I'm assuming compaction isn't taken into account either. 

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I always thought that too, but I just recently discovered it was an experimental snowfall accumulation product. But it does include some compaction of what has fallen too I believe.

Are you talking about the HRRR still? The variable density product or all their snow accumulation products? 

Just now, ryanjn said:

It never decreases throughout a cycle. I believe it's snow that has fallen, but if it all melts on the last few frames it won't decrease it. So I'm assuming compaction isn't taken into account either. 

Checking the website it doesn't say anything about compaction, but does say it can vary from 5:1 to 20:1.

Hey guys,

Lurker here since Eastern wx. First time posting, primarily because my obs might be helpful in this event. I have an admittedly cheap weather station so I won't be getting into tenths of degrees. Anyways wanted to say 'Hi' to Will, Scott, Ray, Tip, and of course Kevin. Jay, I lived in Southie till recently been wanting to say hello for awhile as well- keep up the writing.  32F and heavy sleet currently here in Lowell on a hill near the merrimack prob a couple hundred ft above seal level.

1 minute ago, Supernovice said:

Hey guys,

Lurker here since Eastern wx. First time posting, primarily because my obs might be helpful in this event. I have an admittedly cheap weather station so I won't be getting into tenths of degrees. Anyways wanted to say 'Hi' to Will, Scott, Ray, Tip, and of course Kevin. Jay, I lived in Southie till recently been wanting to say hello for awhile as well- keep up the writing.  32F and heavy sleet currently here in Lowell on a hill near the merrimack prob a couple hundred ft above seal level.

Holla!

2 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Dr. McGuillicudy has a masters 

Maybe even a PhD with a title like that lol. 

I'm not really sure what it's doing in N Andover, kinda a wet snow/IP mix. Just went outside to clear my car off and my footprints turn the snow to an insanely compact slush. If we thought the snow was wet last storm, I think this one's gonna top it in terms of cement quality. Prob have an inch here on the driveway. Maybe a tad more on grass. 

2 minutes ago, ryanjn said:

Maybe even a PhD with a title like that lol. 

I'm not really sure what it's doing in N Andover, kinda a wet snow/IP mix. Just went outside to clear my car off and my footprints turn the snow to an insanely compact slush. If we thought the snow was wet last storm, I think this one's gonna top it in terms of cement quality. Prob have an inch here on the driveway. Maybe a tad more on grass. 

I would love to be in that location right now

Just now, sbos_wx said:

I would love to be in that location right now

Ya if the NAM or RUC know what they're talking about it's gonna be pretty good up this way. It's kind of odd seeing western areas all rain while Essex County still is getting frozen precip. I think most of our snow falls tomorrow late morning and early afternoon though. I don't think we get too much accumulation tonite. 

21 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Hey guys,

Lol. What up dude or ette. Please post more often. Hope you do well 

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

Hey guys,

Welcome!  I forget that many people just hang out here w/o posting.  Yeah, I dig the posts from all those folks you mentioned too, plus a bunch of others.

Although today was pretty boring until the sleet started it is good fun to have late-season weather excitement. 

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

Hey guys,

Hey man,

post more...you're right up the road.

25 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Welcome!  I forget that many people just hang out here w/o posting.  Yeah, I dig the posts from all those folks you mentioned too, plus a bunch of others.

Although today was pretty boring until the sleet started it is good fun to have late-season weather excitement. 

My late dad use to always tell me, people are always watching....even if no one is around. 

Archived