Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Are all of the models overdoing qpf on this system?  I know the dynamics are still coming together but national radar and water vapor don't seem that impressive. 

I'm always skeptical of widespread 2"+ amounts unless there is a really good reason for them. Doesn't mean there won't be pockets of big QPF, but usually I play it more conservative. I'd kind of assume something in the 1-1.4 range right now.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Are all of the models overdoing qpf on this system?  I know the dynamics are still coming together but national radar and water vapor don't seem that impressive. 

I usually take the 2/3 to 3/4 approach around here unless I see something in the dynamics, mid levels etc., that leads me to believe the models are underestimating.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm always skeptical of widespread 2"+ amounts unless there is a really good reason for them. Doesn't mean there won't be pockets of big QPF, but usually I play it more conservative. I'd kind of assume something in the 1-1.4 range right now.

After all was said and done last time the only areas overdone during the blizzard were NE Mass. We will see 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

After all was said and done last time the only areas overdone during the blizzard were NE Mass. We will see 

I'd say central MA was overdone too and a chunk of RI. CT was generally fine, but you often get better QPF near the low level warm front which was more pronounced down there.

There are similarities to an event around opening day 1972.   I was at opening day-we had about it 4 inches that night.  Yankees lost to Red Sox 2-1 but I was sitting behind the plate with the wind in my face and Horace Clarke was safe with the tying run despite being called out.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

There are similarities to an event around opening day 1972.   I was at opening day-we had about it 4 inches that night.  Yankees lost to Red Sox 2-1 but I was sitting behind the plate with the wind in my face and Horace Clarke was safe with the tying run despite being called out.

:weenie:

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

RGEM actually looks a hair colder to me than 18z through 33.

It was really choppy in terms of when it looked colder/warmer...that really tells me it didn't change too much and we're looking at timing noise.

The one feature it did have a notable change on for our general region was the CCB...it was def more robust on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I feel like in this event, the front end could disappoint while the CCB portion could be good if I have to pick a spot for expectation busts to occur.

That would certainly favor N ORH Co to Ray and S NH.   I'm pretty comfortable with 4-6" here 8" up at MPM's place with much less S of Franklin Co.  Dave to Ray seem like the possible 10"+ zones.  That area up to Exeter NH could actually be better than Mobadnock region. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was really choppy in terms of when it looked colder/warmer...that really tells me it didn't change too much and we're looking at timing noise.

The one feature it did have a notable change on for our general region was the CCB...it was def more robust on Saturday.

Yeah not Earth shattering but definitely a touch colder in this area down to Route 2 and maybe a little south of Route 2. Actually closes off the H7 low a little later than the 18z but definitely a better look there than the NAM.

That RGEM run makes me fairly confident that we can chuck the NAM as hard as we possibly can into the nearest dumpster.

Archived