Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sping!!!

I am supposed to be at a workshop in Newton, MA  Saturday morning at 9:30 AM and the earliest I can leave is tomorrow after 7 PM. Me thinks I have to bail since I was also dropping the boy at grandma and grandpa's house in Chelmsford.

It's one thing to risk my azz but never the kid. Rt 2 out this way can be challenging in ideal weather.

i'm feeling a vibe for 6-8"  of cement in Greenfield.  

Genny, Genny who can I turn to?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am supposed to be at a workshop in Newton, MA  Saturday morning at 9:30 AM and the earliest I can leave is tomorrow after 7 PM. Me thinks I have to bail since I was also dropping the boy at grandma and grandpa's house in Chelmsford.

It's one thing to risk my azz but never the kid. Rt 2 out this way can be challenging in ideal weather.

i'm feeling a vibe for 6-8"  of cement in Greenfield.  

Genny, Genny who can I turn to?

Yep, I still like my 5-10'' of cement call for the Rt 2 area and north. Don't see any reason to change.

Just now, powderfreak said:

And those products are including sleet and all sorts of mixed precip too. 

The NAM snow maps are terrible in that regard. 

The NAM on Tropical Tidbits says I'm getting 20", my local meteorologist says I'm getting an inch of slush...I just don't know who to believe. I'll probably just split the difference.

Just now, JC-CT said:

The NAM on Tropical Tidbits says I'm getting 20", my local meteorologist says I'm getting an inch of slush...I just don't know who to believe. I'll probably just split the difference.

Guys, I am from NYC so dont really have a bias here (I am a mets fan). Looking at TT maps is very deceiving (NYC learned the hard way last storm). It has almost 20 inches of SN failing in BOS after 850 temps go above 0 at around 0Z Sat... Doesnt make any sense.

4 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Yep, I still like my 5-10'' of cement call for the Rt 2 area and north. Don't see any reason to change.

A little more, maybe, for the elevation crowd but I think that is a good range to stick with.  

Moving it is not going to be fun and my back is already a little cranky this week from the brewery.

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

Guys, I am from NYC so dont really have a bias here (I am a mets fan). Looking at TT maps is very deceiving (NYC learned the hard way last storm). It has almost 20 inches of SN failing in BOS after 850 temps go above 0 at around 0Z Sat... Doesnt make any sense.

Because it counts anything that is sleet or mix as snow. We are joking around.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Looks like the CCB mostly gets S NH this run. Did the euro have that getting up into CNE? I'm trying to figure out where the higher end QPF is coming from.

I don't think it was the CCB but maybe... it looked more like a rotting deformation band or something.  As the H7 low tightened up it dropped like another inch of QPF from the western Adirondacks through central VT and NH.  It was removed from the main area of heavier precip further south so I thought maybe it was some mid-level banding.

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

Because it counts anything that is sleet or mix as snow. We are joking around.

It looks to do even more than that. The 3K NAM map has almost 5-6 inches of Snow for the north shore of LI... (oh yeh, and 14 right across LI sound at Bridgeport. I dont think there will be any sleet or mix there.

nam3km_asnow_neus_49.png

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Yeah that whole sleet argument isn't entirely correct. I'm pretty sure I'm raining when the NAM is counting it as sleet. So the algorithms must be off.

They could even be counting any level in the column under 0.5C (33F) as snow. It's tough to say what these guys are doing. That's why the maps are generally useless. Stick to QPF and just apply a reasonable ratio in your head.

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Yeah that whole sleet argument isn't entirely correct. I'm pretty sure I'm raining when the NAM is counting it as sleet. So the algorithms must be off.

You might be raining, but I'm guessing you are looking at the ptype algorithm to determine that. It is probably seeing some part of the column below zero between 700 and the surface.

I just want to avoid taint. I know I'll flip back to +SN and still rack up totals, but I think years of being on this board and Eastern has conditioned me to have such an adverse reaction to the sound of sleet...more than any reasonable human being should have. 

7 minutes ago, DomNH said:

I just want to avoid taint. I know I'll flip back to +SN and still rack up totals, but I think years of being on this board and Eastern has conditioned me to have such an adverse reaction to the sound of sleet...more than any reasonable human being should have. 

Taint, some us know where the term origins, some don't

Archived