Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dendrite said:

You may have a little hydrometeor drag, but I don't think advect is the right term here. Sinking air warms...not cools. One of the big problems I think is models just flat out over doing the warmth at the sfc when H95 is relatively cold. I guess if the delta is high enough even sinking air from H95 could cause the sfc to cool (like a katabatic wind), but I think it's more of a case of latent cooling...whether there's still some room for wetbulbing to allow for a little evaporative cooling or in these isothermal paste jobs some latent cooling from partial melting. Of course with heavy precip rates you have strong lift and that's where you get most of your cooling dynamically.

Thanks.

I'm weakregarding the details of the exact physical processes.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanks.

I'm weakregarding the details of the exact physical processes.

Well to be fair, sometimes the met community tries to keep it simple and say "the precip brings down colder air from aloft.."  But no, it has to do more with some wetbulbing and/or lift if the warm pocket is further aloft where the precip is manufactured. Don't worry about being too weak about the processes..it's definitely not handled properly as to not confuse the public.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You may have a little hydrometeor drag, but I don't think advect is the right term here. Sinking air warms...not cools. One of the big problems I think is models just flat out over doing the warmth at the sfc when H95 is relatively cold. I guess if the delta is high enough even sinking air from H95 could cause the sfc to cool (like a katabatic wind), but I think it's more of a case of latent cooling...whether there's still some room for wetbulbing to allow for a little evaporative cooling or in these isothermal paste jobs some latent cooling from partial melting. Of course with heavy precip rates you have strong lift and that's where you get most of your cooling dynamically.

Here's a sort of 'environmental feedback' related matter...

I haven't seen any cloud products, but...I was under the impression that we are clear much of tonight, but may ceiling in enough near daybreak and onwards to 'cold cap' that radiatively induced low level cold. 

This was part and parcel to the Dec 23, 1997 snow bomb storm that dumped 10 to 24" in the interior in 27 F cold, when the (then) ETA (most reliant) was shooting for 2-3" of glop ending as rain. 

That sucker radiated down to 19 F then wall over with clouds at dawn, and the even entrance hours had it some 10 F busted cold when the tiny aggregates started choking densities ...  

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Well to be fair, sometimes the met community tries to keep it simple and say "the precip brings down colder air from aloft.."  But no, it has to do more with some wetbulbing and/or lift if the warm pocket is further aloft where the precip is manufactured. Don't worry about being too weak about the processes..it's definitely not handled properly as to not confuse the public.

The freezing height essentially lowers with latent cooling, wet bulbing, and perhaps low level lift. So it's easier for mets to sometimes say "it drags the cold air down". 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I bet you're going to tell me the sun doesn't directly burn off fog too.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Here's a sort of 'environmental feedback' related matter...

I haven't seen any cloud products, but...I was under the impression that we are clear much of tonight, but may ceiling in enough near daybreak and onwards to 'cold cap' that radiatively induced low level cold. 

This was part and parcel to the Dec 23, 1997 snow bomb storm that dumped 10 to 24" in the interior in 27 F cold, when the (then) ETA (most reliant) was shooting for 2-3" of glop ending as rain. 

That sucker radiated down to 19 F then wall over with clouds at dawn, and the even entrance hours had it some 10 F busted cold when the tiny aggregates started choking densities ...  

euro has clouds increasing starting around 20Z with temps in the lower 30's

GOES16452017089ktAbJc.jpg

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Piss on?

lol have  a great true story. In 2009 we are skiing with friends , we pull into the woods to piss, one of the younger guys , 20ish, comes flying in the woods, does a yard sail, slides in between one of the guys legs pissing, looks up and says to him, better to be pissed on than pissed off. I nearly pissed my pants watching the whole thing.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Battle Royale cage match setting up somewhere near a town near you. Mets pulling out their hair, DOT scrambling to position trucks , good times in Spring in NE. 

A place like Greenfield or Brattleboro  is literally looking at a forecast of 3"-12".

Good luck with that. Lol.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Chicken tastes good...Is 18" your chicken threshold?    I think they live to cluck another day

Yeah I think the chickens are safe...unless I get 17" of paste and the coop caves in. I'm leaning 6-12" up here. We'll see what the euro does.

Archived