Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

RGEM looks like a mess at BOS. The low seemed further SW on the crude ptype graphics that come out earlier..but seemed a little warmer aloft. You would need to see what the mid levels look like to see if it's dynamics or more of a warm tongue.

Slow as hell on the RGEM...its way slower than 06z. Guess we'll find out how much snow it drops when the weenie maps that go past 48h come out. It was definitely south of the 06z, but it did look messier ptype wise.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Slow as hell on the RGEM...its way slower than 06z. Guess we'll find out how much snow it drops when the weenie maps that go past 48h come out. It was definitely south of the 06z, but it did look messier ptype wise.

Yeah...interesting. Almost seems like the models want to go back to snow Saturday after it flips to mix or rain verbatim late Friday night. 

See, back in the day ... circa mid 1990s... we didn't have all these pretty graphics and visual aids, and even the dissemination off the DIFAX (yes I said DIFAX!) where sometimes limiting ...

We used these FRH gridded data outputs from the NGM and the then, ETA, to hone an interpretation of an event...  

In this case, if we saw this...

54110978858 10816 080431 46009900 

60028965850 -3613 100230 45000098 

...this would be a blizzard (*if, one were not privy to the 800 to 700 mb pesky layer of warmth thing... which is in question anyway) ... 

But, point being, that's 1.37" of liquid equiv. falling in about 9 to 12 hours, in a snow column, with 30 kt sustained wind buffeting in to the side walls of Prudential Towar and Logan...Chelsea out to I-95...that's hard to do without sustaining < 1/4 vis for 3 hours.  

Yet, we have all these fancy interpretative products we use these days to elucidate the event in mind's eye, ...if perhaps only to distract us from these baser methods that used to rely upon..  Interesting.. .

Just now, CoastalWx said:

RGEM was about to go nuts after 12z it seemed. You can see the H7 low digging and 850 was cooling in NE PA.

Yeah it's definitely snow to mix to heavy snow. NAM was similar. That would be a shtshow impact-wise. 

Just now, CT Rain said:

RGEM definitely looks a lot warmer at 850mb

Definitely makes you a little more hesitant in tossing the NAM in the garbage. It's going to be a battle in the Rt. 2 area and north. Someone in the Monads dancing with the devil with the sleet line is going to bang out 18'' from this. Might be the biggest condo crusher I can remember in S NH if we dance with the devil but don't go over for a significant period of time. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I heard that same BS with the last system.....palliative care.

Lucy I'm home?, exactly why we wait for 12Z today before sounding the whistles. I think NWS and local mets are doing a great job with this laying low until its time to pull a trigger for amounts good or bad. The rush to put numbers out there can bite ya in the arse

Archived