Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

9 minutes ago, sankaty said:

We're headed to Plymouth (between Okemo and Killington).  It will be well after onset, but still optimistic for mostly wet roads on 91 south of Brattleboro during the day.

Plymouth could be one of the hardest hit spots up here, it always seems to do well:

Location At least   Likely     Potential for     >=0.1"       >=1"       >=2"      >=4"      >=6"       >=8"       >=12"       >=18"

Plymouth, VT 3 11 21 95% 93% 91% 86% 79% 71% 51% 24%

I assume 91 will be okay most of the way but those miles from 91 to Plymouth could be poor as they are not main roads.  I assume they keep them okay to let people get to Okemo however.

Don't forget to use 511 page to look at the road cameras on 91.

http://newengland511.org/

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Even the NAM is cold from srfc to 950. It's got U20s late tomorrow aftn in nrn ORH. LOL. 

The warm layer has gotten a lot thinner on the NAM...so we'll see if that translates further at 12z. It's still a bit obnoxious verbatim, but not nearly like 00z or even yesterday's other runs. It's funny, the 06z model has BOS at +4.5 at 850mb at 06z Sat morning, but it is -2.5C at 950mb. :lol:

Another key to watch is going to be that huge ocean storm southeast of Newfoundland. If that goes any further west, you're probably talking about an even colder solution here with the Quebec High further west / more entrenched. In many ways, the ocean storm is driving / setting the table for this event.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The warm layer has gotten a lot thinner on the NAM...so we'll see if that translates further at 12z. It's still a bit obnoxious verbatim, but not nearly like 00z or even yesterday's other runs. It's funny, the 06z model has BOS at +4.5 at 850mb at 06z Sat morning, but it is -2.5C at 950mb. :lol:

What happens when it goes warm/out of the dgz and slants back in at 950 before falling at surface at +0c. Looks mad complicated lol.

gfs_2017033006_fh42_sounding_KDXR.png

1 minute ago, Matthew Gross said:

Another key to watch is going to be that huge ocean storm southeast of Newfoundland. If that goes any further west, you're probably talking about an even colder solution here with the Quebec High further west / more entrenched. In many ways, the ocean storm is driving / setting the table for this event.

In many ways, Big Boy never left, sir.

Doesn't sound like a lot of local mets are hitting the power outage aspect of this hard enough. I've barely heard anything about it. I don't see a Oct '11 level of outages, but something significant like Thanksgiving 2014 wouldn't surprise me. 1''+ QPF worth of blue snow is going to bring down wires. 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's tracking the 850 low across SNE.  Also, look at the NAM on 6z Saturday at 700mb and at 500mb. Does that look  strange? How is H7 so far north, and H5 so far south? That is fishy to me.

39 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Just tell me ORH will be spared and that the drive to Wells, Maine will be fine on Saturday morning.

At this point in the season its just as sloppy mess with the potential to bring down power lines, etc.

And this is from an ardent winter/snow lover. (If I had my way the actual cold wintry weather would extend to the end of April and July would be like May, but if wishes were fishes)

lol, Absolutely not, That the worse possible time once you get here

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's tracking the 850 low across SNE.  Also, look at the NAM on 6z Saturday at 700mb and at 500mb. Does that look  strange? How is H7 so far north, and H7 so H5 so far south? That is fishy to me.

Yeah it is def an outlier on those mid-level tracks. The big trend last night was redeveloping the mid-level centers to our south...how quickly that occurs will make a big difference in whether a place like Boston gets 12"+ of snow vs 2-3" of slop.

To each his/her own ... but, I'm hoping this is so wet and gloppy that it actually just slides off trees and power lines before it can gather enough suspended mass to do that sort of trouble for the grid. 

I realize there is a contingent of those in here that lack a kind of responsible thinking/perspective on these sort of things, but for those of us who are home owners and are mature, and think about the bigger picture of things in a more pragmatical ...if perhaps "sane" light, losing power is a very bad thing (to put it nicely).  Not sure where that wanton motivation finds its seed frankly. 

I do think of it as a maturity thing though.  For those who's realities  ...disconnect the consequence from the cause is such matters, they have a sort of compartmentalized, child-like fascination with destruction as adults that they fail to relate to the rest of practical matters of their existence.   Heh, and I'm not different - I was a complete hypocritical douche-bag until I owned my own home.  That October job a few years back cost me 2,500 $ to relay several roof panels and reshingle a portion of my roof and ...well, it all ended for me pretty f'n fast really when that happened :) 

oy vay... what can you do.  Part of me will always carry a fascination with the wonders of Nature ... and what it can do and all that.  And, duh...we can't explore that if we don't get annihilated once in a while.  But one wants the buck to stop sort of just short ... when it is ones own responsibility to wherewithal and edifices.

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

H5 never opens up on nam out 24. Quite different than 6z, which was open out to hr 24.

Yeah way sharper trough. I bet this run is going to cave with the midlevels developing near LI rather than ORH.

NAM has been flipping on the thermal incursion aloft ...

A couple runs ago, I saw one cycle with an elevated warm layer so high that it became more like a sleet/snow noodle carpet bombing...  It was -2 C at 850 mb over Logan, ... but +2 or 3 over top way up like at 750 or something.  Those temps aren't enough to flip to solid sleet, particularly in heavy fall rates.  That's more like those big noodles that glom mangled aggregates together and then partially refreezes them.   Meanwhile, on that same run, ALB was still +4 at 800 ...so meh.

But, the next run comes out and the warm layer is all the way down to 850 mb at some 2 C warmer... rain. 

The GGEM last night was wicked looking.  That runs cooling in the closing innings may be telling, because that model basically has no use to me accept for that one little subtle sort of idiosyncrasy about it's behavior - when it cools the closing innings the game tends to verify colder.  

Archived