Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Still easier forecast for BOS than it is pike to C CT. BOS likely all snow..Ct to pike could be all snow, all sleet or a combo of both

Ha. I wish it were easy. Maybe right at the terminal you go low, but this is something where I could see Logan getting 2" and West Roxbury 8" or something like that.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha. I wish it were easy. Maybe right at the terminal you go low, but this is something where I could see Logan getting 2" and West Roxbury 8" or something like that.

Well maybe right at the water yeah lower totals.But just inland bang away.

You think it turns into 3-5" of sleet pike south?

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well maybe right at the water yeah lower totals.But just inland bang away.

You think it turns into 3-5" of sleet pike south?

For you...maybe a few? I honestly haven't looked hard there. Ryan would definitely be a better person for your hood.

Just now, jbenedet said:

Anyone know if the verification scores for the NAM improve in spring months versus winter months? Isn't the NAM's model physics better suited for meteorological spring and summer versus winter? 

Nobody knows this new version of the NAM. I find the 3km snow map output is very good if you are looking for an elevation map.

Just now, jbenedet said:

Anyone know if the verification scores for the NAM improve in spring months versus winter months? Isn't the NAM's model physics better suited for meteorological spring and summer versus winter? 

Yes, it's a model made for convection. It's typically too amped up with synoptic events, but sometimes dynamic events can play into its hands. In this case, it's definitely tracking the 850 low north more than any model.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

He should. We are ern MA centric after all according to him.

Honestly, I am swamped with sh*t. Haven't looked there.

I'm sure he's seen what Ryan's station is forecasting. Slush for most of the state, around 2-4 up by him.

Just now, dendrite said:

For mby I'd like to see the GFS cave a lot at 12z. The other models have been slightly tickling cooler while the GFS has been steadfast or even doubling down. Is the op NAM the 3km version yet? I haven't paid attention. 

Yes the parallels are now the OPs. 12km and 3km

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro op was a hair warmer at 850 between 6z and 12z but a tad cooler at 925. Man what a tough call. I'm not s fan of that 850 warmth though. At least in SNE. It's tucking the low near KFOK.

As a warning - hahaha... "you're FOKKED"

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Max precip time and 850 to 700 max temps, interesting on the Euro so close for some to be isothermal. Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 feet in NORH County SVT Berks SNH SME

ecmwf_t850_t700_boston_11.png

That's warmer than I thought...even for up here. How are the H7 temps? I'd assume those layer max temps are closer to H8 and that H7 is fine for solid nucleation. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

For mby I'd like to see the GFS cave a lot at 12z. The other models have been slightly tickling cooler while the GFS has been steadfast or even doubling down. Is the op NAM the 3km version yet? I haven't paid attention. 

Lol like you have anything to worry about 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That's warmer than I thought...even for up here. How are the H7 temps? I'd assume those layer max temps are closer to H8 and that H7 is fine for solid nucleation. 

Is that why the map Steve posted has a cad look in the valleys?

1 hour ago, DomNH said:

Looks like pretty much everything has held serve. I like a general 5-10'' right now from like Kevin north and west of 95. I bet some of the weenie areas near ORH and in the Monads see over a foot. This is happening. Sell the golf clubs for a genny. 

Man.  What an interesting forecast for us.  The Euro has been deadest on printing out 2-2.25" qpf.  Even at something as low as 5-1.  That's still 10-12" of pure cement.  Better go pick up a 30 rack and some candles.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes, it's a model made for convection. It's typically too amped up with synoptic events, but sometimes dynamic events can play into its hands. In this case, it's definitely tracking the 850 low north more than any model.

Thanks. That's what I figured. So it's wise to give it more respect in this case than we're  accustomed to with respect to mid latitude cyclones...The question is -- how much? Should be interesting to see the trends today...

I'm thinking a blend of the euro and nam is a good conservative position right now, as we await today's trends.

9 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

One thing about CT though, is the potential is there for some nasty sh*t of wet snow, pellets and freezing rain. Could be a mess for a bit.

When would the highest impact be on travel if that is the case? Friday night?  

Hate to ask an IMBY question but my grandmothers funeral is at 10am in Bethel Ct.  driving there and back from Windsor locks between 8am and 1pm or so.  84?  Expecting nothing to be sticking at that point so roads OK.  Family is freaking out.

50 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Agreed all of Warren county has been over a foot on the Euro for the past 5 runs it's been very consistent, I think Gore does very well here only concern is mid level warmth

Gore really looks like the place to be in NYS this weekend.

Archived