Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2017 OBS Thread

Birds~69

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Picked up 3/4" from that last band and am up to almost 1.7" for the day so far.  Currently overcast and 60F.  There's a ballooning band NW --> SE across Baltimore and into southern DE and will be interesting to see if that pulls up across the area at some point as the low moves NE.

Only got a few drops from that one, but so far 0.77" from the main batch, and a lot of lightning up in the clouds. A nice evening sitting on the porch :-).

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

marginal thunderstorm threat today and tomorrow for parts of the area. skies are completely overcast here though and dews are in the mid 50s. with no clearing expected I don't really think we 'll see a big storm threat despite the shear in place. areas to the west in our area stand the best chance with the better shear in place there and slightly better instability. tomorrow it looks like we 'll have better instability in place but much less shear. pretty much how it usually goes as a severe lover in SE Pa and NJ. i think a heavy shower with a rumble or two of thunder seems like the most likely outcome for most. no real threats on the horizon after tomorrow either. 

on a side note I've been loving the temps of late though. low to mid 70s is great for this time of the year and it looks to be in place for the foreseeable future. keep the heat away as long as possible I say. 

5 hours ago, The Iceman said:

marginal thunderstorm threat today and tomorrow for parts of the area. skies are completely overcast here though and dews are in the mid 50s. with no clearing expected I don't really think we 'll see a big storm threat despite the shear in place. areas to the west in our area stand the best chance with the better shear in place there and slightly better instability. tomorrow it looks like we 'll have better instability in place but much less shear. pretty much how it usually goes as a severe lover in SE Pa and NJ. i think a heavy shower with a rumble or two of thunder seems like the most likely outcome for most. no real threats on the horizon after tomorrow either. 

on a side note I've been loving the temps of late though. low to mid 70s is great for this time of the year and it looks to be in place for the foreseeable future. keep the heat away as long as possible I say. 

Some T-storms/stuff forming to the West? A late afternoon/early evening "boomer" would be fine by me.

In general, weather has been astounding. Good temps with low humidity and a nice breeze quite often. And looks to be lasting for some time! I'm quite pumped!

sp.jpg

^ was brushed by that very microburst, sometime around mid afternoon the wind picked up suddenly and knocked some twigs onto the lawn not long after i finished picking up twigs on the lawn to do a cut. Chilly evening again this is one of the worst water ice seasons in years.

Below is my latest article for the local news covering the last 3 months of weather here in Chester County PA

Hello again from Paul at The Western Chester County Weather Station (www.chescowx.com) here in beautiful East Nantmeal Township.

As I write this we have just started the month of June. Let’s look back at the last 3 months. After what was overall a very warm winter we did have below normal temperatures in both March and May. Of interest March featured our largest snowstorm of the season as 8” of snow and sleet fell across the Township on March 14. However, that storm did mark a turning point to warmer as while the following morning we bottomed out at 16.1 degrees… within just 9 days on the morning of March 24th we would experience our last sub-freezing morning of the winter season when we hit 28.5 degrees. This is unusual as we typically average around 5 freezing lows during a typical April.  In fact, this was the first time since 2010 that our last freeze in the Township occurred in March. Total precipitation for the month was 3.80” which is 0.74” below normal. Total snowfall for the winter of 2016/17 ended at just 24” this is well below our average seasonal snow of 39”. Now, how many of you know that our Township averages more snow than Chicago IL (36.0”)? Good coffee table conversation!

While April began with a high of only 49 degrees on April Fool’s Day that would not be a harbinger of the weather to come as April of 2017 would feature 10 days of 70 degree or higher temps with 4 of them exceeding the 80-degree mark, including a record high of 83.9 on the 11th – this broke the previous Chester County record of 83.0 set way back in 1922. April of 2017 finished with an average temperature of 57.0 degrees which is 5.9 degrees above normal. This ended up being the 2nd warmest April in Chester County history only eclipsed for warmth by the warm April of 1921 when we averaged 57.5 degrees. While it was very warm it was also a very dry month with only 2.99” of rain falling, which is 1.21” below normal. This marked our 3rd consecutive month of below normal rainfall in East Nantmeal putting us at 21% below normal for 2017 through April.

While May dawned with a well above normal high of 77 on the 1st it would not be representative of the month to come as May would end up with an average temperature of 59.4 which is 1.1 degrees below normal. This despite a high of 89.4 on the 18th. Now for news our many Township farmers will like…we did have our first above normal precipitation month since January as rain fell in East Nantmeal on 15 of the 31 days in May. Total rainfall for the month was 5.47” which is 1.15” above normal. However, year to date we are still 11% or 2.27” below normal rain through May.

June has started as a bit cooler than normal and I suspect we will end the month overall cooler than normal, however the good news is average highs do rise into the 80’s and will stay there for over 2 months with the warmest day on average occurring on July 18th when our average high tops out at 86.2. At that point, we begin a slow decline toward fall with normal highs back into the 70’s by the very end of August. Of interest despite what you will see on the local news reports that will report many highs in the 90’s this summer at PHL airport….do not expect many such day’s here in East Nantmeal (due to our relatively high elevation). In fact, since 2004 we have had 3 summers that never hit 90 degrees during the entire summer. On average, we should expect only 5 such days here in East Nantmeal.

I hope all of you have a great summer!  If you have any questions, please visit my website and send me an email. Until next time –All the best!  Paul

Some are weather-wise, some are otherwise” Ben Franklin

0.43" combined Mon/Tues this week -still 2.66" below normal through yesterday YTD

Wxsim tries real hard to reach 90 next week but fails with 89 both Monday and Tuesday then back down to 86 on Wednesday.

So far in this ENTIRE DECADE here in NW Chesco we have had exactly 2 heat waves (3 consecutive 90+ days)  the last being way back on 7/21-7/23 in 2011.

First 90+ days since 2008

2008 - June 7 / 2009 - April 27 / 2010 - July 4 / 2011 - July 21 / 2012 - June 20 / 2013 - July 18 / 2014 - none / 2015 - none / 2016 - July 23

Almost noon on 6/7 and I'm sitting at 57F! No complaints, I'm not looking forward to the return of summer later this week, but it was/is bound to happen eventually. Hopefully it's a summer of in-and-out heat, nothing that locks in for long stretches at a time!

Archived