Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2017 OBS Thread

Birds~69

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been driving around all morning and all I could think about (and laugh) is David Murphy (Ch6) this morning saying "scattered showers and thunderstorms but not a washout". That's all it's been is a washout....I've been hitting downpour after downpour! Ponding...standing water, you name it. Oddly enough, still stubborn snow/ice piles hanging around.

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Been driving around all morning and all I could think about (and laugh) is David Murphy (Ch6) this morning saying "scattered showers and thunderstorms but not a washout". That's all it's been is a washout....I've been hitting downpour after downpour! Ponding...standing water, you name it. Oddly enough, still stubborn snow/ice piles hanging around.

10 minute downpour here and zero thunder today, Murphy nailed it lol

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Yeah when I left the dealership, it was right in the middle of a gully washer.  Lots of ponding on the roads.  Another downpour happened when I was coming out of the supermarket a couple hours later.

One thing though - the fog was pretty rough about 6:30 this morning - had to be close to advisory criteria in some spots.

Dense cloud deck and 44F with radar echoes already, so much for a partly sunny afternoon hoped to squeeze out one more decent though overly cool day before yet another rain system.

Easily a top 10 worst spring month this March total hideousness, cold intrusions keep reinforcing from the north through the long range first 10 days of April look like a continuation.

How bout that strong analog support for a cold first half winter and an early warm spring ugggh

So what was the mechanism that triggered last night's t-storms? In the summer, we can have 4 out of 5 parameters in our favor and still fail. It was 41F when those storms rolled through last night. That was some of the brightest lightning and loudest thunder I've seen and heard. I guess the thunder was louder since there are no leaves on the trees right now. Anyway, great storms last night, time to get everything off the basement floor before this afternoon's rains move in!

24 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

So what was the mechanism that triggered last night's t-storms? In the summer, we can have 4 out of 5 parameters in our favor and still fail. It was 41F when those storms rolled through last night. That was some of the brightest lightning and loudest thunder I've seen and heard. I guess the thunder was louder since there are no leaves on the trees right now. Anyway, great storms last night, time to get everything off the basement floor before this afternoon's rains move in!

Looking at the radar this afternoon/evening looks to be a complete washout. Continuous mod-heavy cold rains. 38.3 currently...

If it was winter we would have got smoked with a front end thump and then gone over to long duration mixed bag with this storm. March would have made a great January, similar to 2014. Lucy is standing on the sidelines saying haha taunting us now that the game is over.

Archived