Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring Thread

dryslot

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 5.7" at home and 6.5" at the base of the resort at 5:30am.

Still snowing.  Estimating 8" at 3,000ft but I'll find out at 8am.

Interesting ski area observations this morning.  Looks like the Sugarbush snow hole on their web cam filled up nicely and if I count it up from yesterday that 3-foot hole is where the 17" is coming from.  The base area value is right in line with what you'd expect but I don't know if that would double from base to summit?

Smuggs...8"

Stowe...6-8"

Bolton...5-7"

MRG...8-10"

Sugarbush...9-17"

Killington...10"

2 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Here in Reading, VT, we got totally clobbered.  Haven't measured, but eyeballing around 15" so far?  The cars are buried to the point that the tires are invisible.

Isn't that town at like 1,800ft?  I've heard that's a snow magnet on these SE flow events. 

Similar to like Ludlow and some of those east side towns down there in south/central VT. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Isn't that town at like 1,800ft?  I've heard that's a snow magnet on these SE flow events. 

We're about 1500 feet, but there are higher points.  It's a gorgeous, very snowy spot right in the middle of horse country.  This was yesterday at around 6PM when things were just getting started, but we already had about 5" down:

weoOwMW.jpg

4 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Okemo, where we're skiing today, is reporting 12-16" new.  Seems about right based on what we've got here.  They are around 10 miles southeast of here.

Yeah that sounds about right for that area.  Ludlow and Okemo always does really well in these with moist SE flow.  That area where you are and down south in eastern VT is the jackpot most likely aside from the summit of Lincoln Peak at Sugarbush.

39 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Here in Reading, VT, we got totally clobbered.  Haven't measured, but eyeballing around 15" so far?  The cars are buried to the point that the tires are invisible.

Overestimated a bit.  Measured 13.5".  Light snow currently.

16 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

6.7 inches of snow.

Pretty decent, guess you are far enough north to avoid the pingers.

I feel like I am going to remember this year for the "almost, but not close enough" This is my 3rd Sleet QPF bomb storm this season with 1.5" QPF or more that fell as primarily sleet with some snow. File under the what could have been folder i guess.

Still an above average year snowfall wise.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I had 5.7" at home and 6.5" at the base of the resort at 5:30am.

Still snowing.  Estimating 8" at 3,000ft but I'll find out at 8am.

Interesting ski area observations this morning.  Looks like the Sugarbush snow hole on their web cam filled up nicely and if I count it up from yesterday that 3-foot hole is where the 17" is coming from.  The base area value is right in line with what you'd expect but I don't know if that would double from base to summit?

Smuggs...8"

Stowe...6-8"

Bolton...5-7"

MRG...8-10"

Sugarbush...9-17"

Killington...10"

Snow report has 9-13-17 so I'd think the middle is probably the most accurate.  

40 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Pretty decent, guess you are far enough north to avoid the pingers.

I feel like I am going to remember this year for the "almost, but not close enough" This is my 3rd Sleet QPF bomb storm this season with 1.5" QPF or more that fell as primarily sleet with some snow. File under the what could have been folder i guess.

Still an above average year snowfall wise.

We stayed snow throughout the entire storm.  The snow was wet and melted on contact for most of the day, and then started accumulating late in the afternoon.  I think there's a lot of water in the snow, but I can't find my inner tube (my son probably hid it as an April Fool's day prank), so I don't have the melted total precip just yet.

12.5 here as of about 7:30 with 8.5 since 6:30 last night.  We lost power for awhile overnight and it just flicked off for a minute a few minutes ago.

Here is this morning and a photo from the morning of the mid-March storm as a "before" comparison.

image.jpgimage.jpg

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nice, your spot looked like a safe bet for 12"+ for the past few days.

I though so too.  The RGEM cetainly liked us here.  The snow stalled only a few mile north of us for much of the daytime here.  When I drove home there was nothing of note on the ground as far south as Bradford but we had 4 inches new by the time I was home.  One of the early NAM runs showed this stall but had it about ten miles south of here.

Just now, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

Just shy of 8" here on ridgeline outside of Montpelier.   Beautiful scene outside.  The great late season ski conditions roll on.  Going to Sugarbush tomorrow and was excited by their 17" claim but Powderfreak has me questioning.  Is their snow measurement spot suspect?

The snow cam at the summit of Lincoln peak has issues so the 17" may be suspect, but the 9-13" base-mid report is usually pretty accurate, and I've got other independent reports of about a foot near the base.

6 minutes ago, Hitman said:

The snow cam at the summit of Lincoln peak has issues so the 17" may be suspect, but the 9-13" base-mid report is usually pretty accurate, and I've got other independent reports of about a foot near the base.

Yeah I've got friends saying 10-12" would be the best average of the mountain.

I just don't think the snow in this storm doubled from base to summit.  There is a threat on facebook where even a bunch of employees are talking about how they can't endorse the 17".  The problem I think is that even when you read the report it just mentions 17" of new snow in the written and if you call the snow phone it makes no mention of anything else but 17" of new snow.  So you have people in the base area being like no way.

I've got 9" at 3,000ft which is mid/upper slope but not summit here on Mansfield.

9-inches-of-new-snow-at-9am-this-morning

The easiest way to solve all questions is to post pictures of where you measured and the measurement.  Its not that hard.

If SB just throws up a valid 17" measurement or a dude with a yard stick or whatever I think no one would question it.  I've got it so when I post these so often on Stowe's social media (just posted that to our website and instagram) that no one even questions it anymore because they understand the process.  Quite often people only suspect that its low. 

Skiers are an optimistic bunch and get excited when it snows...so you have people (even today) skiing down trails and being like oh wow there's at least a foot of powder down that it was beautiful.  Then I'm like no it was 7-9" but it was dense so it felt nice and everyone is like well who brought this downer along?  haha.

A wise old snow reporter once said, "You are never smarter than the ruler, no matter how much you think you are."  Skiers are notorious for over-estimating snowfall when skiing.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The easiest way to solve all questions is to post pictures of where you measured and the measurement.  Its not that hard.

If SB just throws up a valid 17" measurement or a dude with a yard stick or whatever I think no one would question it.  I've got it so when I post these so often on Stowe's social media (just posted that to our website and instagram) that no one even questions it anymore because they understand the process.  Quite often people only suspect that its low. 

Skiers are an optimistic bunch and get excited when it snows...so you have people (even today) skiing down trails and being like oh wow there's at least a foot of powder down that it was beautiful.  Then I'm like no it was 7-9" but it was dense so it felt nice and everyone is like well who brought this downer along?  haha.

A wise old snow reporter once said, "You are never smarter than the ruler, no matter how much you think you are."  Skiers are notorious for over-estimating snowfall when skiing.

Yes we're an optimistic bunch.  I saw the Euro precipitation forecast that someone posted for the system coming in the end of the this upcoming  week that had something outrageous like 2' for  N Central VT and I got very excited.  Current NWS discussion is calling for that storm to be warmer with mostly rain but I will hang on to the possibility of another big snow dump till I actually feel the raindrops.

Wow, weren't they way behind? Looks like we'll end with nearly double our average this season. Bet it's a long time before that happens again. I actually liked 2014-15 better for retention.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We were until Pi day.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

No question your measurements at 3k' are more accurate than what sb is putting up for 4k'.  And the snow cam at that elevation has issues, some of which have been addressed, but still not all, especially now that it's back in hole.  But it is what it is, and it's not unreasonable to report a few more inches at 4K than 3k.  Maybe it's more like to 2" than 4", but what the heck, its not for scientific purposes, and for skiing it doesn't really matter whether it's 15 or 17".

Archived