SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Spring Thread

dryslot

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my quarter inch of upslope last night. Temperatureso all night around 32 degrees. Still flurries in the air with sun and clouds. Bring on Spring starting tomorrow. Sorry you Vermont guys had to endure another snow. I'm done. Dont miss the fact that I really dont get up slope.  You can have all you want in April.

57 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This is the time of the year where I lose my jealousy for your upslope. It'll come back in Oct/Nov. ;)

Yeah I'm looking forward to Monday and Tuesday.

But I guess when you get handed it, its hard to turn down 8-10" of caking snow.  Skied two runs, can't get to the 3,000ft stake yet as Gondola is wind hold, but its double digits up high.

The snowpack is ridiculous to say the least...every week we've gotten at least a 1" QPF snow event for the past 3 weeks, along with other precip.  The amount of water in this snowpack has got to be nuts.  Going to be a long melt above like 1,300ft.

This has followed the trend though where every single upslope chance completely goes to town and exceeds expectations.  Straight from October and November, these things have performed well.  Some winters they just never get going at all.  Interesting case study probably on why that is. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

But I guess when you get handed it, its hard to turn down 8-10" of caking snow.  Skied two runs, can't get to the 3,000ft stake yet as Gondola is wind hold, but its double digits up high.

The snowpack is ridiculous to say the least...every week we've gotten at least a 1" QPF snow event for the past 3 weeks, along with other precip.  The amount of water in this snowpack has got to be nuts.  Going to be a long melt above like 1,300ft.

It's another world up there this time of year though so I'd probably still be in winter mode if I lived there. Pretty impressive upslope event for you guys.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

7.5" at the base of the mountain (1,500ft) overnight.

This is nuts.  It is snowing so hard out and its a QPF paste bomb.  The trees are just plastered. 

Upslope comes through.  Grooming estimating 10-12" up above mid-mountain. 

Ginxy was right.

IMG_5478.JPG.60d9ec692d88968a438b373ee7783989.JPG

Sweet epically jealous as I tried hard to get out of a work obligation to make a mad dash up there as it appeared to be an awesome maybe the last winter upslope.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This has followed the trend though where every single upslope chance completely goes to town and exceeds expectations.  Straight from October and November, these things have performed well.  Some winters they just never get going at all.  Interesting case study probably on why that is. 

Thing is Monday and Tuesday with full sun and warmth will be what its all about in the spring, tons of snow and goggle tans, beers on the deck. Enjoy man

9 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I was just about to make this exact post until I read yours. No need to be redundant with the like button. 

Some have graduated to Spring while others haven't, reminds me of living on the beach in RI, Everyone goes in  fall mode, beaches are empty but the best of the summer water conditions are still there. Little known secrets to the masses. I mean today is spectacular for skiers in the Greens

2017-04-07-JA-snow-ice-vid-010.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That is about it, he is in an unreal spot, check out the vid, you can see the Gondolier running in the back ground from the village up to the lifts.

Yeah I looked around there and Tahoe before and didn't find much above 7500ft. I love snow, but I'm not sure I could live there and let it take over my life for 8 months per year. At least it doesn't get too cold there.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I looked around there and Tahoe before and didn't find much above 7500ft. I love snow, but I'm not sure I could live there and let it take over my life for 8 months per year. At least it doesn't get too cold there.

At least you can do something with it there unlike say Labrador

At the Bush today - great snow up high.  Paste job at mid mountain and like 3 sloppy inches at 1500 ft.  Think the realistic total at the summit is roughly 9-10 inches.  It's thick snow so it skies deeper than that though.  Pretty great day so far.  Tomorrow should be fun to for those who can stay.

17 minutes ago, CoolMike said:

At the Bush today - great snow up high.  Paste job at mid mountain and like 3 sloppy inches at 1500 ft.  Think the realistic total at the summit is roughly 9-10 inches.  It's thick snow so it skies deeper than that though.  Pretty great day so far.  Tomorrow should be fun to for those who can stay.

Interesting about 1500ft.  We had a solid 8" at that elevation when it tapered off.  

I've noticed that when folks just glance and see the Stowe and Sugarbush totals they seem fairly similar but I measure about where they take their mid-mountain readings.  I feel like we've doubled them on most events in that 1500-3000ft range but they always have some big summit totals.  

I'd love to see their season total at the base and their 3000ft mid-mtn spot.  

Event totals: 5.2” Snow/2.19” L.E.

Snowfall was fairly intense at 6:00 A.M. observations time this morning, but it started to taper off after that, and it was pretty much done down here when we headed up to the mountain for turns.  There was some snow falling up at Bolton Valley, but accumulations were pretty much done there as well.  Temperatures had crept above freezing down here when we got back around noontime, but up at elevation it remained well below freezing.  It was actually downright chilly, and folks were often getting cold when we’d pause for setting up a photo session.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 36.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

I’ve got a couple of shots from today below, and I’ll try to add some ski shots when I get a chance.

08APR17B.jpg

08APR17C.jpg

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

It's much more pleasant than you think in the winter, so many mild and sunny days, and the summers are picture perfect.  Also you can take a break from winter easily by heading downhill in either direction.  The only populated areas higher than 7500' in the S. Tahoe area I can think of are the top of Kinsbury Grade and Kirkwood and they are both pretty ski resort oriented.  It would be pretty rough to pay the premium for those locations without being an avid skier imo.  Kirkwood is probably the best weenie spot I have seen, more reliable upslope there without the down-sloping that plagues South Lake. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting about 1500ft.  We had a solid 8" at that elevation when it tapered off.  

I've noticed that when folks just glance and see the Stowe and Sugarbush totals they seem fairly similar but I measure about where they take their mid-mountain readings.  I feel like we've doubled them on most events in that 1500-3000ft range but they always have some big summit totals.  

I'd love to see their season total at the base and their 3000ft mid-mtn spot.  

Sugarbush's mid mountain and base snowfall reports seem really accurate to me.  The summit snowfall reporting always seems slightly exaggerated this year though.

I think they had a pretty good year at mid mountain relative to their average.

Monsters all over the place this morning.  In a couple of days, once the snow starts leaving the woods they will all depart up into the hills to have their fawns.  We will get our privacy back.  In the evenings they come right up to our sunroom windows and stare at us.  They have absolutely no decency.   We even know some of them by sight.

Big snowmelt inbound. Let's go!

https://video.nest.com/clip/3c949c6c5aa9449ea4893d20fa8a8b0b.mp4

Archived