Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring Thread

dryslot

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mreaves said:

When talking about school sports, all schools have gyms etc. most will have batting cages and such. It can be an inconvenience but is it any more so than days of 40 and sheet drizzle?

I mean gym can cover track and maybe some have indoor cages, but what about games played, practice etc for all sports? I'm being serious. I'd be skiing my you know what off it I could, but it seems like those sports have a short  season there. Meteotrade used to live where Hubb Dave lives in interior central MA and he talked about how terrible April was for sports because of either snow or mud.     I guess you could do fall leagues for those sports. 

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean gym can cover track and maybe some have indoor cages, but what about games played, practice etc for all sports? I'm being serious. I'd be skiing my you know what off it I could, but it seems like those sports have a short  season there. Meteotrade used to live where Hubb Dave lives in interior central MA and he talked about how terrible April was for sports because of either snow or mud.     I guess you could do fall leagues for those sports. 

Spring for scholastic sports runs till june and most fields are melted and dry enough (in Vermont what's ever "dry") by mid-april. That's plenty of time to have a season. 

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

What about spring sports? What do people or kids in HS do? Not for nothing, but waiting until early May for mud season to end would suck for any person playing baseball, softball, soccer..what have you.

From a skier’s perspective you can typically just ski until Memorial Day, and by then it’s June and it’s essentially summer by that point, so you can do absolutely everything outside.  That’s when the hiking trails officially open anyway.  Even up here in the mountains with a typical schedule you’re getting roughly half a year of relatively warm, snow-free playtime.  That’s months and months (and months) of time to play baseball, softball, soccer, biking, hiking, swimming, etc. – it’s a longer period than most professional sports seasons, and far longer than amateur seasons run for almost anything.  How many months do people actually need for these things?

In the fall you’ll find that there are folks prematurely rushing to get into winter and get the snow down, while Mother Nature is giving us those warm autumn days and telling us that those warm weather activities are what we should be doing.  The same thing happens in spring.  I’d say March and April are best used for snow sports in the mountain areas, but you’ll still find people wanting to rush into warm weather activities ahead of Mother Nature’s schedule.  Case in point – I just heard Roger Hill comment on the potential for substantial snow in the Friday/Saturday timeframe.  That’s a solid sign that it’s not time for warm weather activities just yet.

A friend of mine that also has a drone took a great picture of my area of Central NH.  It was taken this past week.  The drone is just south of Bristol NH looking NNE.  My 15 acres of mostly open fields is in the yellow rectangle.  Just to my north is Plymouth Mtn. 2193 feet.   Looking carefully Mt Lafayette is located behind my house in the distance.  The drone is not quite high enough to see much of Newfound Lake which is barely visible to the west of me.  

The 2 closest AMWX posters to me are Brian and eek.  According to Google maps Brian is about 17 miles  SSE of me and eek's general area is about the same distance but ESE.

Bristol drone looking north  good me.jpg

14 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

From a skier’s perspective you can typically just ski until Memorial Day, and by then it’s June and it’s essentially summer by that point, so you can do absolutely everything outside.  That’s when the hiking trails officially open anyway.  Even up here in the mountains with a typical schedule you’re getting roughly half a year of relatively warm, snow-free playtime.  That’s months and months (and months) of time to play baseball, softball, soccer, biking, hiking, swimming, etc. – it’s a longer period than most professional sports seasons, and far longer than amateur seasons run for almost anything.  How many months do people actually need for these things?

In the fall you’ll find that there are folks prematurely rushing to get into winter and get the snow down, while Mother Nature is giving us those warm autumn days and telling us that those warm weather activities are what we should be doing.  The same thing happens in spring.  I’d say March and April are best used for snow sports in the mountain areas, but you’ll still find people wanting to rush into warm weather activities ahead of Mother Nature’s schedule.  Case in point – I just heard Roger Hill comment on the potential for substantial snow in the Friday/Saturday timeframe.  That’s a solid sign that it’s not time for warm weather activities just yet.

Cool. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything like that. Just that growing up, Spring sports from late March on were pretty big. You usually need to wait at least a month or so later up that way. So, with a short season, was wondering how it's done. I guess it's just abbreviated perhaps. So if you don't ski or have the ability to do so often....I guess you need to deal in other ways.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Cool. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything like that. Just that growing up, Spring sports from late March on were pretty big. You usually need to wait at least a month or so later up that way. So, with a short season, was wondering how it's done. I guess it's just abbreviated perhaps. So if you don't ski or have the ability to do so often....I guess you need to deal in other ways.

Well, there is a reason that there aren't a lot of VT little league teams making it to the Little League World Series or a lot of VT golfers on the PGA tour.  The season for doing those sports is short.  On the other hand, there have been a lot, relative to our population,  of snowboarders, skiers, snocross riders, bi-athletes etc. that have come from NNE.  As far as high school sports, my experience is that basketball and hockey are, by far, the biggest deals in VT, much bigger than baseball.

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Well, there is a reason that there aren't a lot of VT little league teams making it to the Little League World Series or a lot of VT golfers on the PGA tour.  The season for doing those sports is short.  On the other hand, there have been a lot, relative to our population,  of snowboarders, skiers, snocross riders, bi-athletes etc. that have come from NNE.  As far as high school sports, my experience is that basketball and hockey are, by far, the biggest deals in VT, much bigger than baseball.

Not very many pros from NE as a whole. But with more and more domes going up, year round baseball and track are more envogue. My ladies play indoor softball all winter.

33F   Precip is about to stop, thankfully.  Everything is glazed.  Ginx as soon as the rain stops I'll quickly try to fly the drone as the ice is coming off the trees now.

I made a 6 second time lapse of the ice accumulating this AM.  Watching the birch trees they look like flowers drooping in the cold.  Glad the temp wasn't a couple of degrees colder.  Looks like over .50" liquid but rain gauge still is glazed so probably more adding in the cylinder..

Getting brighter now...  

https://video.nest.com/clip/4a3688fa553a4af2a817ad38ef657241.mp4

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not very many pros from NE as a whole. But with more and more domes going up, year round baseball and track are more envogue. My ladies play indoor softball all winter.

You have to bring your team up here some year to play in the annual snow softball tournament.  It's pretty big, I think it's the largest snow softball tournament in the world.  http://www.freezingfunforfamilies.com/snow-softball-tournament 

A few pingers now in Augusta, after morning-long ZR with minor accretion.  Last night's snow forecast (only 1-2") was defeated by the midlevel temps, I guess, as at home we never had a flake - IP/ZR from the start.  9-10 AM obs had some snow in W. NH as the heavier echoes passed over there; that's probably the same precip slug that is bringing the IP into the mix here.  Tiny chance for frozen on Saturday, but beyond that, mucky spring unless somehow the cold were to reload in a couple weeks.  By then, practically nobody would want to see that.

8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

31.8" and frz rn. not seeing much accretion from my cams.

We had some glazing before sunrise, but by 9am there was still enough insolation through the clouds this time of year to prevent any new accretion. It's basically been a half inch of cold rain. 

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

A friend of mine that also has a drone took a great picture of my area of Central NH.  It was taken this past week.  The drone is just south of Bristol NH looking NNE.  My 15 acres of mostly open fields is in the yellow rectangle.  Just to my north is Plymouth Mtn. 2193 feet.   Looking carefully Mt Lafayette is located behind my house in the distance.  The drone is not quite high enough to see much of Newfound Lake which is barely visible to the west of me.  

The 2 closest AMWX posters to me are Brian and eek.  According to Google maps Brian is about 17 miles  SSE of me and eek's general area is about the same distance but ESE.

cool.  Where's stinson mountain? I hiked plymouth last year, nice quiet little hike.  Took me a while to find the rocks that have a view of the lake lol.

33.7F now .  Pretty good icing this morning into early afternoon. Ice is mostly off the trees at my elevation but ridges above is still ice covered.  Good size branch just missed the car parked at my neighbors across the street.  .   Total liquid was .66"   Temperatures were from 32 to 32.7F during the heavier precip this morning.  Ice level was at 1000 feet or around 400 feet above lake level.  I drove to Laconia and there was no ice but you could see it clearly on the hilltops.  

Not a great video, it's dark and there was some water on the lens but it gives a good idea of the ice.  Note the trees have no ice down below..

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Got 1.1" snow during the middle part of the day to add to the 0.1" IP from the overnight - plus some slow-accreting ZR, have yet to measure all the LE.  The snow frosted the lightly iced trees, making for a pretty drive home, especially as roads were just wet.

Nice

Archived