Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring Thread

dryslot

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back over 100" on the ground.

Storm total at the COOP was 8.1" on 0.85" liquid... one of the few events that my snow board was dead on with the COOP precip can. 

Just reinforces my belief that the heavy, wet or dense snows are well sampled by the COOP because that heavy stuff can find its way into the precip can without getting blown over the top.

17499056_10102915170930950_7988637143094

12 hours ago, eyewall said:

Noooooooooooo! ;)

It is the worst of the 4 seasons here but it is inevitable.

Which spring? There is the Mid-March to mid-April "spring" which is what everybody else in the country counts as spring which is really just winter up here. We then have late-april - late -may period which is like actually spring and is awesome and then we a month of rain into june. I like 1/3 of these periods. 

Suspect this year we're in winter-mode till April 15 and then the switch flips to hot.  I have a feeling we're in store for a hot hot summer. 

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Spring seems a little ways off...probing with a yard stick is showing 13-14" on the ground in most spots.

FullSizeRender_zpsi5oub4z4.jpg

One good winter rainstorm will take care of that.  But we all know it snows in spring and rains in winter. So I agree that snow isn't going anywhere soon. 

This is fairly ridiculous cold this month....the past two weeks have been nuts.

Low so far is 3F and still dropping at MVL...average low is 22F.

I have to think we've had some very well timed snow events prior to arctic air (like the 4" of powder earlier this week prior to the cold shot) that has really fueled the departures, especially on the radiational cooling nights. 

6 hours ago, adk said:

Which spring? There is the Mid-March to mid-April "spring" which is what everybody else in the country counts as spring which is really just winter up here.

Yeah, that period gets painted so bleakly on this form, but that seems to be a coastal thing.  Up here it’s typically deep snowpack, often with additional mountain (and sometimes valley) snowfall, and it can be a great time to ski.  Temperatures stayed below freezing yesterday at elevation, so the dense frontal boundary snow was still nice and wintry and the skiing was great.  We stopped in at Bolton in the afternoon for some runs – I’ve added a few pictures below and the rest are in the report.

25MAR17C.jpg

25MAR17D.jpg

25MAR17A.jpg

25MAR17E.jpg

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I was just looking at Alex's weather station at his valley location in Bretton Woods.   At 630am he was -3.6F.   At 1030am he is up to 35F.   Almost 40F rise in 3 hours.  Wonder how rare that is.  40F daily swings are no big deal but to do it in 3 hours?   Wow!

wonder if he's got some sun sneaking in there and warming it up.  I just hit 40f here as of 11:30

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, that period gets painted so bleakly on this form, but that seems to be a coastal thing.  Up here it’s typically deep snowpack, often with additional mountain (and sometimes valley) snowfall, and it can be a great time to ski.  Temperatures stayed below freezing yesterday at elevation, so the dense frontal boundary snow was still nice and wintry and the skiing was great.  We stopped in at Bolton in the afternoon for some runs – I’ve added a few pictures below and the rest are in the report.

25MAR17C.jpg

25MAR17D.jpg

25MAR17A.jpg

25MAR17E.jpg

For skiing it's good but for anything else, or anything temp wise, it's the doldrums.

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I was just looking at Alex's weather station at his valley location in Bretton Woods.   At 630am he was -3.6F.   At 1030am he is up to 35F.   Almost 40F rise in 3 hours.  Wonder how rare that is.  40F daily swings are no big deal but to do it in 3 hours?   Wow!

Those elevated mountains valleys, probably not all that uncommon. At night you have cold air sliding down the slopes of 3500+ foot peaks, and you end up with a very shallow but steep inversion. When it pops, it pops.

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

For skiing it's good but for anything else, or anything temp wise, it's the doldrums.

Yeah the skiers perspective is that as long as there is snow to slide down its "not boring" haha.  It is just such a big way of life around here with so many world-class ski areas/resorts so close together. 

Today was absolutely amazing.  The late March sun and blue sky is spectacular...along with crisp morning temps and afternoon highs near freezing in the mountains, the snow quality stays pretty darn good.  Colorado style packed powder.

Brochure-quality-weekend-at-Stowe..jpg

Ridgeview-cruise..jpg

Stunning-views-today..jpg

Blue-skies-over-Hayride..jpg

Just now, dendrite said:

Lots of 50F+ ranges in Coos today.

Nice, I love that.  Only 42 degree range here today. 

I think my love of that came from being in middle school surfing weather obs in the 90s and seeing all my favorite Colorado mountain towns do that on a daily basis.  Like lows in the teens and highs in the 60s, lol...or lows in the 30s and highs in the 80s.  I always loved that type of climate with cold nights and warm days.

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the skiers perspective is that as long as there is snow to slide down its "not boring" haha.  It is just such a big way of life around here with so many world-class ski areas/resorts so close together. 

Today was absolutely amazing.  The late March sun and blue sky is spectacular...along with crisp morning temps and afternoon highs near freezing in the mountains, the snow quality stays pretty darn good.  Colorado style packed powder.

Brochure-quality-weekend-at-Stowe..jpg

Ridgeview-cruise..jpg

Stunning-views-today..jpg

Blue-skies-over-Hayride..jpg

What about spring sports? What do people or kids in HS do? Not for nothing, but waiting until early May for mud season to end would suck for any person playing baseball, softball, soccer..what have you.

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice, I love that.  Only 42 degree range here today. 

I think my love of that came from being in middle school surfing weather obs in the 90s and seeing all my favorite Colorado mountain towns do that on a daily basis.  Like lows in the teens and highs in the 60s, lol...or lows in the 30s and highs in the 80s.  I always loved that type of climate with cold nights and warm days.

My love for them, started one day in the 90s in May at CON. I think it was in the 30s in the morning and then near 90F in the afternoon. I wanna say it was 88/35 for the day. I love the transition from winter to summer in just a handful of hours.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My love for them, started one day in the 90s in May at CON. I think it was in the 30s in the morning and then near 90F in the afternoon. I wanna say it was 88/35 for the day. I love the transition from winter to summer in just a handful of hours.

I think it was 5/11/93...91/38. 

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What about spring sports? What do people or kids in HS do? Not for nothing, but waiting until early May for mud season to end would suck for any person playing baseball, softball, soccer..what have you.

I never figured you for such a whiner. People adapt. Spring sports practices are done inside until the fields are dried out. People continue winter activities until the snow is gone and then there is always a period where outdoor activities are limited. 

Just now, mreaves said:

I never figured you for such a whiner. People adapt. Spring sports practices are done inside until the fields are dried out. People continue winter activities until the snow is gone and then there is always a period where outdoor activities are limited. 

Lol so true

26 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It's an honest question. Does every town have indoor facilities? Maybe darts are a popular spring sport? Is track season from Mother's Day through Father's Day?

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It's an honest question. Does every town have indoor facilities? Maybe darts are a popular spring sport? Is track season from Mother's Day through Father's Day?

When talking about school sports, all schools have gyms etc. most will have batting cages and such. It can be an inconvenience but is it any more so than days of 40 and sheet drizzle?

Archived