Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2017 General Tropical Discussion

Solak

35 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

Looks like the same dead season we have had the  last number  of years. Nothing can do anything  in the MDR and the  only  place  in the whole basin marginally favorable is the BOC. You have to wonder how  in the heck storms  like  Isabel in 2003, Hugo in 1989 ever formed.

We are actually ahead of schedule so to speak on named storms, on average we get the 6th named storm by Sept 8th,  and the average date for the first hurricane is Aug 10th ( and it looks like Franklin is gonna be a cane today sooooooo), last season was kinda meh up till Matthew which ended up being one of the worst hits the SE has seen in a long time, not to mention the deepest lowest pressure recorded that far south.....I guess my point is its way way to early to be making calls like this, especially with the most active 6-8 weeks of the season to go.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

We are actually ahead of schedule so to speak on named storms, on average we get the 6th named storm by Sept 8th,  and the average date for the first hurricane is Aug 10th ( and it looks like Franklin is gonna be a cane today sooooooo), last season was kinda meh up till Matthew which ended up being one of the worst hits the SE has seen in a long time, not to mention the deepest lowest pressure recorded that far south.....I guess my point is its way way to early to be making calls like this, especially with the most active 6-8 weeks of the season to go.

The first 5 had a  combined ACE of 4, so it wasnt much of a start to the season. We will have to wait and watch if anything can develop of  interest.

2 hours ago, downeastnc said:

Good Post as always. Your experience in this area is appreciated.

The 3k Nam has a interesting little low riding up the SE coast over the next several days on the 18Z run, it forms off the south coast of Florida and crawls up the coast a few hundred miles offshore, none of the other models support it though.  The 06Z run kinda had it only much broader and the 12Z run didnt have it but here is the 18Z, this is the kinda scenario we look for with washed out cold fronts that hang off the SE coast. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=nam3km&region=seus&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2017080918&fh=3&xpos=0&ypos=100

4 hours ago, fountainguy97 said:

Nice tight swirl was   Ejected moments a go before being covered up again by a little convective blob maybe 99L isn't dead after all 

IMG_1947.PNG

IMG_1948.PNG

That sums  up the MDR for many years now. Dried  up pitiful waves that die  miserable deaths.

1 hour ago, ldub23 said:

That sums  up the MDR for many years now. Dried  up pitiful waves that die  miserable deaths.

It isn't suppose to have good conditions right now. Nothing that is happening is a surprise. The models do in fact develop it later but also show a nice recurve. Thats about as normal as it gets.

NHC added that area off the coast of Florida near the Bahamas to the TWO, but give it little chance to develop and considering the lack of model support that's not surprising...

2. A trough of low pressure over the Bahamas continues to produce
disorganized shower activity.  Although development appears
unlikely, this system could bring areas of heavy rain to portions of
the Bahamas and Florida during the next day or two.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:08 AM, downeastnc said:

Basically a Hugo track Cape Verde storm, might even be the one that NHC highlighted this morning. All the majors have it in that time frame and general location off the SE coast with no looks of a recurve......could be the first real scare of the season.

I want a chaseable storm this season.  Looking for a low grade cat 3 hitting between destin and then I bend  and Jacksonville to Charleston. Over the weekend lol

1 hour ago, LithiaWx said:

I want a chaseable storm this season.  Looking for a low grade cat 3 hitting between destin and then I bend  and Jacksonville to Charleston. Over the weekend lol

dunno low grade Cat 3 kinda getting into scary land.....the worst part of most canes I have been in is they have hit at night, only Bertha, Floyd and Irene where day hits or partial day hits. Isabel was a day hit too but even though we got into the sw eyewall was 50 mph gust tops....Bertha,Floyd and Irene all had gust well into the 80's....Fran hit at night and is the only time I was ever actually scared in a cane, it was very dark, very loud with stuff banging and trees crashing and you couldnt see anything, the winds were sustained in the 60-70 mph range with gust to 110 and even though I am a wind junkie watching the carport lift up and down for several hrs was pretty sobering. 

Archived