Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

tamarack or anyone else...

Do you have any experience on cold hardy clumping bamboo? I don't want to give tamarack a heart attack, but I would definitely only use clumping and I'd put a barrier a few feet down. My plan is to try some in the chicken run since it's fast growing and would give them some much needed shade. The running bamboo is obviously an invasive no-no, and I'm not even sure how well it would do in our zone anyway. I had my eye on this guy supposedly hardy down to -20F.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, dendrite said:

tamarack or anyone else...

Do you have any experience on cold hardy clumping bamboo? I don't want to give tamarack a heart attack, but I would definitely only use clumping and I'd put a barrier a few feet down. My plan is to try some in the chicken run since it's fast growing and would give them some much needed shade. The running bamboo is obviously an invasive no-no, and I'm not even sure how well it would do in our zone anyway. I had my eye on this guy supposedly hardy down to -20F.

If it's really bamboo and not related to Japanese knotweed, it's probably not invasive.  (And if it was, nurseries probably could not legally sell it.)  That said, I'm ignorant of bamboo in general, cold-hardy species in particular.  Eek is the horticulturist - maybe he has some info.

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If it's really bamboo and not related to Japanese knotweed, it's probably not invasive.  (And if it was, nurseries probably could not legally sell it.)  That said, I'm ignorant of bamboo in general, cold-hardy species in particular.  Eek is the horticulturist - maybe he has some info.

I forgot the link. 

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia murielae.htm

Eek didn’t think it had much of a chance in our zone despite the hardiness claim. I may get a plant and give it a whirl.

34 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I forgot the link. 

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia murielae.htm

Eek didn’t think it had much of a chance in our zone despite the hardiness claim. I may get a plant and give it a whirl.

Nice looking ornamental.  This is key:

Like all other Fargesias, it does not have running rhizomes and needs no containment to prevent spread.

I'm also skeptical about -20.  However, it might do okay on a slope that doesn't collect cold air or radiate very well.  Zone 5b is -15 in half of the winters, may be safe.  My 4b frost pocket would be a death sentence.

Archived