Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/18/2017 at 10:22 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

They grow tall too.  Our are like 70'.

I really like the look of the one I saw. Of course I'd be dead by the time a seedling reaches maturity imby. I'm looking at planting 3 semi-dwarf liberty apple trees...disease resistant, manageable heights, and I already have a crabapple and mcintosh in the yard to pollinate them. They will probably because me deer feed, but whatever. I'd rather blow money on that than worry about my lousy lawn. Although I must admit I've been seeing improvements where the chickens do more fertilizing. The rain has obviously helped, but the grass and clover are much deeper green where the poop piles up.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, dendrite said:

I need tamarack to return from Scandinavia. He'd be so proud of the tree weenie in me.

Got back late Saturday.  Our son/D-I-L are visiting (and came from Japan to travel with us) and their bed is 5 feet from our new computer, so now is the first I've been on line since recrossing the pond.  One editorial comment:  If you've never seen Norway's western fjord country, it belongs on your bucket list.  Among other wonders, we saw snow patches at less than 500' elev., not bad for August 15.  And of course the snow at 3-5000' was fueling the dozens of waterfalls.

Your "interesting bark" mystery tree is a birch.  The bark looks closest to that of yellow birch, among the birches native to NNE, but it actually looks more like red birch (aka river birch), found mostly in the Midwest though not unknown farther east.  Maine Forest Service's "Forest Trees of Maine" does not include it, but if planted it could readily reproduce here.  If it's a planted specimen, it could also be any of a bunch of exotic birches.  Try scratching the bark of a 1/4" thick twig and sniff for wintergreen aroma.  If it's present, the tree may be a weird-barked yellow birch.  Among native birches only yellow and black have that aroma, much more pronounced with black, or why it's also called sweet birch.

Your aspen pics appear to show both species native to the east, bigtooth (top) and quaking.  The maple leaves remain uncertain, to me anyway, in part because many trees' early seedling leaves are subtly different from those on older specimens.

Edit:  Saw that others got there first.  ;)

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Got back late Saturday.  Our son/D-I-L are visiting (and came from Japan to travel with us) and their bed is 5 feet from our new computer, so now is the first I've been on line since recrossing the pond.  One editorial comment:  If you've never seen Norway's western fjord country, it belongs on your bucket list.  Among other wonders, we saw snow patches at less than 500' elev., not bad for August 15.  And of course the snow at 3-5000' was fueling the dozens of waterfalls.

Your "interesting bark" mystery tree is a birch.  The bark looks closest to that of yellow birch, among the birches native to NNE, but it actually looks more like red birch (aka river birch), found mostly in the Midwest though not unknown farther east.  Maine Forest Service's "Forest Trees of Maine" does not include it, but if planted it could readily reproduce here.  If it's a planted specimen, it could also be any of a bunch of exotic birches.  Try scratching the bark of a 1/4" thick twig and sniff for wintergreen aroma.  If it's present, the tree may be a weird-barked yellow birch.  Among native birches only yellow and black have that aroma, much more pronounced with black, or why it's also called sweet birch.

Your aspen pics appear to show both species native to the east, bigtooth (top) and quaking.  The maple leaves remain uncertain, to me anyway, in part because many trees' early seedling leaves are subtly different from those on older specimens.

Edit:  Saw that others got there first.  ;)

Thanks for the reply. I'll go out there in a few and do a scratch n sniff. Hope you had a great trip!

On 8/21/2017 at 9:52 AM, Lava Rock said:

Local well company wants $8,000 to drill another well:o Anyone ever have luck using a dowser?

Brother in law had good luck with one, He could water a town with the vein he found about 100' where his old well was that would go dry after a load of wash...........lol

21 hours ago, amarshall said:

The annual acorn assault has begun. Begins in August and ends in November.  Absolutely relentless 2 years in a row.

The tree outside our office is absolutely loaded, once again.  (There used to be 2, but the new parking lot ate one of them, the lesser fruitbearer of the pair.)

19 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Struggling on what to get for grass seed. 25lbs KBG (pure) or 50/50 mix of KBG/fescue. I know I should lean toward the latter due to better heat/drought resistance of the fescue, but I really want all KBG, but worried I won't be able to keep it looking good next summer, especially without irrigation sys.

KBG requires a lot of water.  If you don't plan on doing any irrigation you may be right back where you are now.  Have you looked into more fescues like red of or tall?  

https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2367e/

Archived