Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually to me yard work is not a waste of time, kind of enjoy being outside ,getting some physical activity and doing things. Believe my yard is a disaster because of clay soils but I try to at least keep it up, sort of a hobby. I can totally see where Kevin is coming from. I would rather be home outside in the woods with the quiet than either inside or near crowds, just me I guess. If its not mowing, trimming, pool care, it's in the woods trimming dead branches but being outside is who I am.

I agree, I like a tidy yard and enjoy the time outside mowing, trimming, watering, weeding, whatever needs to be done but weekly bush trimming is a bit much IMO.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I agree, I like a tidy yard and enjoy the time outside mowing, trimming, watering, weeding, whatever needs to be done but weekly bush trimming is a bit much IMO.

I don't like an overgrown look. It looks awful when you see bushes, branches all sprouting up in front of homes, decks, walks etc. Things grow at a tremendous rate during the summer. It's not time consuming or a big deal or OCD to keep up with things each week. In fact it's probably more time consuming spending the weekend doing it once a summer. Not to mention how unkempt things look . No thanks  

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

On a typical summer yard work evening.. I trim the bushes, then weed whack, then mow with the tractor, then leaf blow walk, deck, driveway. That whole process takes about 3 hours. It's nothing 

On a typical any evening, I get home from work at 6, walk the dog, cook dinner, clean up after dinner.  Takes a couple hours.  Than I sit down and do more work for another 1-2hrs.

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

On a typical any evening, I get home from work at 6, walk the dog, cook dinner, clean up after dinner.  Takes a couple hours.  Than I sit down and do more work for another 1-2hrs.

Are you living alone? If so I did not know 

if that's the case why not hire landscapers to do it. 40-50 bucks a week. No worries.. no brauber 

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Shrubs don't need to be trimmed at that frequency lol, And you don't remove more then a couple inches when you do trim them or they will look like s hit

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Shrubs don't need to be trimmed at that frequency lol, And you don't remove more then a couple inches when you do trim them or they will look like s hit

Glad we don't live there or near there to see it 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

We got it the first time, And once you have your shrubs at the right size, Once a month trim is all they need.

Maybe he's growing kudzu, or Japanese knotweed - foot a week. 
(jk - I've seen the pics of his yard and it looks great.  Not for me, though - my priorities run more to the garden, woodpile, and woodlot.)

13 hours ago, tamarack said:

Maybe he's growing kudzu, or Japanese knotweed - foot a week. 
(jk - I've seen the pics of his yard and it looks great.  Not for me, though - my priorities run more to the garden, woodpile, and woodlot.)

i hate kudzu, knotweed, etc with a firey passion. vines, and the invasives, just can't stand them. i have been battling some kind of vine, japanese berrry something or other for years. just when i think i have it contained, i see it climbing other parts of the yard.

what's the vine that you see along the roadside, that looks like grape leaves?

3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

i hate kudzu, knotweed, etc with a firey passion. vines, and the invasives, just can't stand them. i have been battling some kind of vine, japanese berrry something or other for years. just when i think i have it contained, i see it climbing other parts of the yard.

Violently agree.  I haven't even bothered to look up what kind of vines are around my area but its a regular battle along the edges of the yard.  This year in particular I've been on patrol and aggressively cutting them but that typically only lasts a couple years and they always manage to come back.    

3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Can't see it from here (and roadsides at this latitude probably support different species anyway) but my first guess would be Oriental bittersweet - leaves are about half the size of grape leaves, orange to red berries 1/4-1/3" diameter would be on the vines now.  But there are plenty of other candidates among foreign-origin invasives.
(We have loads of knotweed, but I was kind of kidding about kudzu, as it will probably require a lot more GW before it could survive up here.  Has it reached your area?

Speaking of vines...

Can anyone recommend a noninvasive, fast growing vine that is safe for chickens? I'd like to grow something up the sides of my run for a little shade and shelter in the summer. I was thinking some grape vines that the birds could forage on too. The only problem is I have an 18" apron along the ground, around the run made of 1/2" hardware cloth so I'd have to start the vines inside of the run until they get climbing.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Can't see it from here (and roadsides at this latitude probably support different species anyway) but my first guess would be Oriental bittersweet - leaves are about half the size of grape leaves, orange to red berries 1/4-1/3" diameter would be on the vines now.  But there are plenty of other candidates among foreign-origin invasives.
(We have loads of knotweed, but I was kind of kidding about kudzu, as it will probably require a lot more GW before it could survive up here.  Has it reached your area?

oriental bittersweet sounds right. i also discovered that one of those grape leaf looking vines actually had what appeared to be grapes. i thought that was interesting, considering that i have no intention of starting a vineyard.

no kudzu, but that oriental bittersweet is just like it. Climbs the trees where it can, and before i started aggressively attacking it, some of the vines were 2-3" diameter at the base. those guys had completely choked out and killed the trees that they took over.

have i mentioned yet that i hate vines?

• 4 weeks later...

It's getting a little late in the season, but the house is progressing fast enough that they may try and get the lawn in before the end of this month. I'll actually have a lawn to report on (even if it is a NNE lawn).

We also purchased our two street trees. Acer rubrum "burgundy belle" variety. 

Archived