• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

After cutting the "lawn" today, thinking of adding 2" new loam to hydroseed area. It looks awful and the dead grass pulls out easily. Ugh. Was only going to top dress, but I think I need a bit more soil and fresh seed. Buddy has a bobcat and will help me spread around the new soil next month. IMG_20170812_144337643.jpgIMG_20170812_144321127.jpgIMG_20170812_144301141.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

After cutting the "lawn" today, thinking of adding 2" new loam to hydroseed area. It looks awful and the dead grass pulls out easily. Ugh. Was only going to top dress, but I think I need a bit more soil and fresh seed. Buddy has a bobcat and will help me spread around the new soil next month. IMG_20170812_144337643.jpgIMG_20170812_144321127.jpgIMG_20170812_144301141.jpg

I'm not a lawn guy, but I'm struggling to believe that two more inches of loam that will be compacted to death by a bobcat is going to change anything.  It needs water, and if that area is too big to water, nothing else you do will really matter.  It'll still brown.

I'm not a lawn guy, but I'm struggling to believe that two more inches of loam that will be compacted to death by a bobcat is going to change anything.  It needs water, and if that area is too big to water, nothing else you do will really matter.  It'll still brown.

Bobcat is only to scoop up the loam and drop little piles which I will rake out.

Lava Rock, if it was me I would try overseeding first (using a slit seeder). you have nothing to lose. if there are real obvious low spots you could fill them in, otherwise don't kill yourself with the fresh loam.

keep in mind that no matter when you overseed in the fall, you won't see all the results until spring. you will see some results in the fall, but even more as spring rolls along.

15 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Lava Rock, if it was me I would try overseeding first (using a slit seeder). you have nothing to lose. if there are real obvious low spots you could fill them in, otherwise don't kill yourself with the fresh loam.

keep in mind that no matter when you overseed in the fall, you won't see all the results until spring. you will see some results in the fall, but even more as spring rolls along.

yeah, thinking of doing that, thanks. One website says to kill the weeds first and wait at least 2 weeks before seeding. I thought it was more like 6 week wait?

53 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yeah, thinking of doing that, thanks. One website says to kill the weeds first and wait at least 2 weeks before seeding. I thought it was more like 6 week wait?

the weeds are going to get squeezed out by the new grass (eventually). i wouldn't kill them off, one reason is right now those weeds are holding your soil in place. if you have a dethatcher, do that before overseeding, that will help clean out some of the crap. 

so, overseed right on top of the weeds. it is a long process to establish new grass. since the weeds are there now, you will just work on getting rid of them in the coming year. 

The other option is to go full nuclear. kill the weeds, rototill, spread new loam, and reseed. since you had such trouble the first time, i wouldn't go that route.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:09 PM, Lava Rock said:

Been out the loop here with regards to lawn recently.  I think I said this a month ago when it looked like a "lawn" that I didn't think there was much grass in there to begin with, mostly weeds---I know you don't want to hear that.  I cant believe that there was that many weed seeds in the new loam they brought in.   I would try to get some money back from the Hydroseed place--what are they saying?

Honestly, you somehow need to figure out an irrigation method. Some how you need to get some water to this area during establishment.  Your fighting and extreme uphill battle without.  I would say screw off to the hydroseed place with those results.  Although they could always blame it on lack of water I guess.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

If you use Roundup(dirty word I know) you can seed the next day. Other broadleaf specific weed killers, yes you have to wait a certain amount of time.  You really have almost no grass there and nothing that will come back I dont think. Maybe some, but its pretty sparse.  If you did nothing to it, I think come OCT it would look "greener" because the weather would cool and more synoptic rains would come, but it would be mostly weeds popping by looking at what you have now.

I wouldn't do anything unless you can figure out a watering schedule. 

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

If you use Roundup(dirty word I know) you can seed the next day. Other broadleaf specific weed killers, yes you have to wait a certain amount of time.  You really have almost no grass there and nothing that will come back I dont think. Maybe some, but its pretty sparse.  If you did nothing to it, I think come OCT it would look "greener" because the weather would cool and more synoptic rains would come, but it would be mostly weeds popping by looking at what you have now.

I wouldn't do anything unless you can figure out a watering schedule. 

I should have thought more about the irrigation aspect before we ventured into such a large project. Based on how the rest of the grass around the yard gets cooked, I should have known better. The reality is likely the lawn will only only look good in Spring, then it's downhill from there. I have some long hoses, sprinklers and timers, but it's a large area and too much to expect to get enough water to. Without an underground irrigation sys, we're probably screwed. Meanwhile, wildflowers I seeded behind the rock wall are coming in nicely.

Cheap man's irrigation system:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K72WU3Q/ref=asc_df_B00K72WU3Q5122196/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00K72WU3Q&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193142362025&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11644061551643371463&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002576&hvtargid=pla-311792270591

8 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I should have thought more about the irrigation aspect before we ventured into such a large project. Based on how the rest of the grass around the yard gets cooked, I should have known better. The reality is likely the lawn will only only look good in Spring, then it's downhill from there. I have some long hoses, sprinklers and timers, but it's a large area and too much to expect to get enough water to. Without an underground irrigation sys, we're probably screwed. Meanwhile, wildflowers I seeded behind the rock wall are coming in nicely.

Cheap man's irrigation system:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K72WU3Q/ref=asc_df_B00K72WU3Q5122196/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00K72WU3Q&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193142362025&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11644061551643371463&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002576&hvtargid=pla-311792270591

You don't necessarily need an expensive. If you get a good sprinkler and a timer you can effectively water your lawn. Last spring, when it was very dry around here, I reseeded and over seeded parts of my lawn. I made sure that the entire lawn got at least 2 hours of soaking every week. I did it section by section, ran the sprinkler for an hour at a time, and always waited at least an hour not running it before moving so my well could recover.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I need tamarack to return from Scandinavia. He'd be so proud of the tree weenie in me.

Your guess of Black Maple seems correct. meant to comment on your Gypsy caterpillar sighting, would be very very rare at this time of year for either Gypsy or tents. Interesting

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Your guess of Black Maple seems correct. meant to comment on your Gypsy caterpillar sighting, would be very very rare at this time of year for either Gypsy or tents. Interesting

I'm going to try to transplant a small black maple seedling. I'll get a pic of that and the unknown tree.

Of course I saw no caterpillars yesterday so the pic is on hiatus. If I see another one I'll get a pic for sure.

To keep this on topic my zoysia patch is growing like crazy. ;)

wink for Tippy

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm going to try to transplant a small black maple seedling. I'll get a pic of that and the unknown tree.

Of course I saw no caterpillars yesterday so the pic is on hiatus. If I see another one I'll get a pic for sure.

To keep this on topic my zoysia patch is growing like crazy. ;)

Hide contents

wink for Tippy

my garden is so overrun by mint its crazy, we also planted a bunch all along the foundation to keep ants out, smells so good when I accidently weed whack one. Mint by the thousands now

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

my garden is so overrun by mint its crazy, we also planted a bunch all along the foundation to keep ants out, smells so good when I accidently weed whack one. Mint by the thousands now

Ditto the mint. I grew the 6 herbs best for chickens and they touch none of it and all of it is growing out of control. Mint, bee balm, oregano, thyme, sage, and parsley. I have to keep cutting the mint runners back to keep it out of the other stuff. Everything grew well except my spinach. Second year in a row where it bolted early for the heavens. I need to figure that out. My cabbage is growing well, but no cabbage "ball" yet. Just a crap ton of large leaves. 

Archived