Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

18 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

yes, your timing is correct. I thought about cutting this wknd, but will hold off. There are patches of grass from the 1st seeding that are ready to be cut, but only represent a smal % of the whole yard. Guess I have to look forward to a weed lawn this summer.

The other thought on cutting now is getting rid of the tall weeds which are going to block more of the sunlight to the grass. Is this a consideration?

pull m out by hand? seems manageable

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume this is some kind of sumac? Hopefully not the poison variety? I got a rash on my stomach and leg the other day, but I have no idea if this was the culprit. The reddish berries made me lean against poison sumac. Don't the poison ones stay white when "ripe".

IMG_7511.JPGIMG_7512.JPG

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I assume this is some kind of sumac? Hopefully not the poison variety? I got a rash on my stomach and leg the other day, but I have no idea if this was the culprit. The reddish berries made me lean against poison sumac. Don't the poison ones stay white when "ripe".

IMG_7511.JPGIMG_7512.JPG

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3940#b

Winged Sumac, Rhus copallina, also bears dark red berries in an upright formation.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Pulled out the audubon field guide....looks like glossy buckthorn?

Looks like poison sumac to me , I have the same on my property and payed dearly for contacting it a couple of years ago

21 hours ago, S&P said:

Looks like poison sumac to me , I have the same on my property and payed dearly for contacting it a couple of years ago

It was my understanding that poison sumac berries stay white...these typically turn purple in the late summer just like the glossy buckthorn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 9:42 AM, dendrite said:

It was my understanding that poison sumac berries stay white...these typically turn purple in the late summer just like the glossy buckthorn.

went back and looked at the poision sumac my neighbor is growing that creeps onto my property and your right, pretty sure this is sumac, berries are smaller and red59708f69d941e_IMG_1287(2).thumb.JPG.77fa92a575380c95b218bf38e57209e1.JPG

22 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Any harm in adding our new lawn area to the trugreen service at this point? Hydroseed has been established for a solid 6 weeks. Was only considering fertilizer not weed control

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wouldn't see a problem since they probably wont feed till fal/late summerl, not sure why you wouldn't add weed & bug control , $'s ? you mentioned there were weeds , are you getting crabgrass?

23 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Yes, some crabgrass. Someone suggested waiting until next spring on weed control due to the newness and young seedlings.

ok didn't realize you were talking about this year only

Hi Guys,

I need your lawn advice.  What is going on with my lawn.  Below is a drone video of my property.  Gardens are fine.  We have had lots of rain.  What a difference a year makes.  The lawns are doing okay but something is going on.  Lots of brown spots.  Is this Red Thread?  We use organic slow release fertilizer.  Agway 15/1/10.   We have applied it with a broadcast spreader 3 times this season.  About once per month.  Just did the last application about a week ago so the lawn probably has not had enough time to respond.  We have crap soil.  The lawn is the worst around back so skip half way through the video or so to get to the lawn part.....

Any input?  Thanks!

I have no idea, but my zoysia plugs from last summer were growing like crazy. In the past week the center of a few of them has started dying off. We've had a high RH all summer from the rain and bring on the north side of a hill. We have dozens of different types of mushrooms growing everywhere in the yard. I'm pretty sure one of our pear trees has blight too and I'm not sure what to do for it. I've been raking up the brown spotted leaves that are dying and falling off and cutting back the dead branches, but it keeps getting worse. It probably needs a professional to come in and prune to save it. The dry day today is greatly appreciated, but we're back to the cool dank for a couple of days. I guess it's better than warm dank...at least mold, mildew, and fungal wise.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Our lawn looks worse this summer too despite having a much wetter spring and summer compared to last year. Meanwhile we have this fungus growing in our mulch. Anyone know what it is?19660.jpeg

My next door neighbors have the same fungus and were asking me what it was.  I have no idea.  Also something weird with my apple trees.  Had a great blossom season this spring.  I though we would have a bumper crop of apples.  Almost no apples.  Many of the leaves are sickly brown.  Maybe too much rain and humidity.  Blueberry bushes are loaded with blueberries.  Concord grape vines are loaded with grapes.  Wet weather seems to have helped with some stuff and hurt with other things.

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

My next door neighbors have the same fungus and were asking me what it was.  I have no idea.  Also something weird with my apple trees.  Had a great blossom season this spring.  I though we would have a bumper crop of apples.  Almost no apples.  Many of the leaves are sickly brown.  Maybe too much rain and humidity.  Blueberry bushes are loaded with blueberries.  Concord grape vines are loaded with grapes.  Wet weather seems to have helped with some stuff and hurt with other things.

Fire blight? Apple scab?

Now that I look again I think my pear tree has scab...lots of dark spots on the leaves and fruit. I'll have to do my best to rake up all of the leaves and fallen fruit from that tree this year to help prevent it worsening next year. I have a copper fungicide here, but I really don't want to spray it with the chickens free ranging everyday. What kind of apples do you have there? I've been thinking about adding a couple of liberty trees. They're supposed to be very disease resistant.

18 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hi Guys,

I need your lawn advice.  What is going on with my lawn.  Below is a drone video of my property.  Gardens are fine.  We have had lots of rain.  What a difference a year makes.  The lawns are doing okay but something is going on.  Lots of brown spots.  Is this Red Thread?  We use organic slow release fertilizer.  Agway 15/1/10.   We have applied it with a broadcast spreader 3 times this season.  About once per month.  Just did the last application about a week ago so the lawn probably has not had enough time to respond.  We have crap soil.  The lawn is the worst around back so skip half way through the video or so to get to the lawn part.....

Any input?  Thanks!

What a great property you have.  As far as your lawn issues go, have you ever had your soil tested?  If not, you may want to explore that to see if you have any deficiencies in the nutrients.  It appears as though you do water given how green it looks and almost full sun exposure.  One thing you may want to look into is amending your soil with some quality compost to get those nutrients back into the soil that may be lacking.

14 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Just looked at our hydroseed grass. Ugly. Lots of crabgrass and new grass is quite brown. Hopefully the rain will help some. I think I am going to have to spread some more topsoil this Fall and overseed.

Hydroseeding the borders of the new parking lot at work shows a significant crabgrass component.  I've no idea whether it's from the seed mix or from the topsoil they put down before spraying. 

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What a great property you have.  As far as your lawn issues go, have you ever had your soil tested?  If not, you may want to explore that to see if you have any deficiencies in the nutrients.  It appears as though you do water given how green it looks and almost full sun exposure.  One thing you may want to look into is amending your soil with some quality compost to get those nutrients back into the soil that may be lacking.

Thanks for the input.  Interesting about your soil comments.  We did a huge house project a few years ago.  We had a fungus problem in the old dirt cellar.  We had to lift the house, move the house and then used the old granite blocks to make new gardens.  Lawn got destroyed in the process and everything within 100 feet had to be regraded.  Lost all the top soil in the mix.  Then brought in many dump trucks of new top soil.  Cost a fortune.   With so much lawn the new soil is very thin and that is the problem.  I use 10/1/15 organic fert.  We have had lots of rain.  I just wondered what these brown spots are in the back?  

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

Fire blight? Apple scab?

Now that I look again I think my pear tree has scab...lots of dark spots on the leaves and fruit. I'll have to do my best to rake up all of the leaves and fallen fruit from that tree this year to help prevent it worsening next year. I have a copper fungicide here, but I really don't want to spray it with the chickens free ranging everyday. What kind of apples do you have there? I've been thinking about adding a couple of liberty trees. They're supposed to be very disease resistant.

Brian, 

The big trees you see were planted way back in 1906 according to the house records.  Each tree's apples taste different so I think they planted a variety.  How many apples can 2 people eat?  So basically they are here for the deer and for our  friends and neighbors that want to come pick.  The 100 year old trees are now slowly dying.  As you can see in the video there are lots of new baby apple trees we have planted the past couple of year.  We bought a mix of small trees just to have different types of apples.  Those small trees are just starting to produce now. Personally I like Mac's and our Mac trees do well.   Each fall we put up deer fencing around the baby trees as the deer love the branches and will also eat the tender bark.  You may not have the deer problem like we do.  I think the reason we have so many deer is because the trees have been here for over a hundred years (and there use to be many more) and the deer know this is a good feeding source. Pickings will get slim for awhile as the big trees reach the end of their natural life span....

We have quite a few deer. I've seen one in the yard each of the past handful of days. We have a crabapple tree, apple tree, 2 pear trees, peach tree, and a sad plum tree. I know macs are susceptible to scab as are most pear trees. I've been researching it and apparently a cobalt supplement helps the plant metabolize the amino acids necessary to help prevent the fungal spores that cause the scab. Make sure you get up all of the infected fallen leaves too. Do you have any pics of the leaves or fruit?

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks for the input.  Interesting about your soil comments.  We did a huge house project a few years ago.  We had a fungus problem in the old dirt cellar.  We had to lift the house, move the house and then used the old granite blocks to make new gardens.  Lawn got destroyed in the process and everything within 100 feet had to be regraded.  Lost all the top soil in the mix.  Then brought in many dump trucks of new top soil.  Cost a fortune.   With so much lawn the new soil is very thin and that is the problem.  I use 10/1/15 organic fert.  We have had lots of rain.  I just wondered what these brown spots are in the back?  

I didn't see anything that stuck out from the video.  Can you point out what's the back?  Downhill side?

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I didn't see anything that stuck out from the video.  Can you point out what's the back?  Downhill side?

If you skip to about 2 minutes and 25 seconds into the video and I skim over the lawn you see bright green and then lots of brown spots.  Those are all over the lawn. Meanwhile it's 1215pm and raining and 56.8F outside.  Maybe that will shake the lawn up!

21 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Our lawn looks worse this summer too despite having a much wetter spring and summer compared to last year. Meanwhile we have this fungus growing in our mulch. Anyone know what it is?19660.jpeg

This looks like your typical dog vomit slime mold.  It loves cropping up in bark mulch.

Archived