Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Not sure what was used for seed. With all the rain lately, the soil has been pretty moist despite it looking dry in spots. Yesterday was 80F and it took a little beating, but hoping for the rain showers to roll in later. Looks like I'll be watering all wknd with the warmer temps coming. I leave on Weds for 5 days, so I hope mother nature helps out.

Honestly to make sure you get the best results after spending the money on the hydroseed, you have to water every day/multiple times per day until you leave Wed to try to get as much to sprout as you can.  Being gone for 5 days without being able to water and relying on rain is tough, but hopefully mother nature helps out.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

This was my PA lawn that I redid,  was mostly crabgrass and weeds.  Like I said constant watering is what made the difference in getting it established.

Before:

post-10812-0-93630200-1431306814.jpg

After:

post-10812-0-82449900-1431306826.jpg

wow, that's awesome. Somehow I don't seem to have a green thumb when it comes to lawns.

Honestly to make sure you get the best results after spending the money on the hydroseed, you have to water every day/multiple times per day until you leave Wed to try to get as much to sprout as you can.  Being gone for 5 days without being able to water and relying on rain is tough, but hopefully mother nature helps out.

Damn near impossible to keep wet. Tomorrow will be worse. 2.5 wks and this is what we got.3e6c7d3ca7bc13961f989e58adc535dd.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, Brewbeer said:

Grass LOVES water, lots of it. 

So do gardens.  The past 8 months have run 111% of my average, with every month having at least 90%.  Then I planted the garden, and (of course) June has provided 0.22" so far, with little more in the near future unless a TS happens to go thru later today/tonight - forecast pop is 30%; I'd guess a 10% chance of significant RA (>1/4") at my place.

2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Really?
I actually mowed less this past May than years past.

Maybe we have been a bit wetter than you, don't know.  Right now I am at a 7 day cycle pretty consistently, maybe even should be doing a 6 day cutting cycle.  Last year it was just a desert for most of the year so didn't have to do much.  Especially the spring, we just couldn't get any rain up this way.

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

90.1F. Hydroseed taking a beating. They said they are going to respray given the little growth we've had.

If your not going to be able to water consistently , I would wait until fall honestly and have them respray then if that's an option. If you respray now and your purely relying on mother nature then it will probably be tough,  I mean your going to be just praying that convective storms hit your little hill there.  In the fall at least you can get more synoptic type rain and also the sun angle will be lower so the soil wont dry out as fast.

Did the hydroseed guys give you a guess on why they don't think its taking? The only issue I can see if insufficient water.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

If your not going to be able to water consistently , I would wait until fall honestly and have them respray then if that's an option. If you respray now and your purely relying on mother nature then it will probably be tough,  I mean your going to be just praying that convective storms hit your little hill there.  In the fall at least you can get more synoptic type rain and also the sun angle will be lower so the soil wont dry out as fast.

Did the hydroseed guys give you a guess on why they don't think its taking? The only issue I can see if insufficient water.

Lol, for the last 2 yrs I've been waiting to seed various parts of our lawn thinking we'll get "the rains" and it never came, although we did get some late last Fall. I kinda want to get them to do it now since they are less likely to do it in the Fall if there's at least some growth. Strike the iron when it's hot mentality. We're also leaving on vaca weds till next monday. I hope mother nature produces something end of week.

Lack of water was not an issue until couple days ago. Two weeks ago we had those damp/wet cold days for awhile. I think the cold is what prevented early growth. It is coming in more now, but still very spotty. A lot of it got washed away during some downpours. I'll hit it with the hose early tomorrow morning.

21 hours ago, Dan said:

Maybe we have been a bit wetter than you, don't know.  Right now I am at a 7 day cycle pretty consistently, maybe even should be doing a 6 day cutting cycle.  Last year it was just a desert for most of the year so didn't have to do much.  Especially the spring, we just couldn't get any rain up this way.

I thin it was the cold in May that slowed things down.  I don't know. But come August and even the end of July if it's dry, I'm at every 2 or even longer between mowing my yard of weeds.

2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I thin it was the cold in May that slowed things down.  I don't know. But come August and even the end of July if it's dry, I'm at every 2 or even longer between mowing my yard of weeds.

Last year I mowed the weekend before Memorial day and then didn't mow again til September, just was nothing to mow.

Archived