Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Looks like plantain.  If you see seed spikes of skinny-pencil thickness, it's definite.

Sounds like it then. They're a pain to pull out and root pretty deep. 

MPM...as long as the lawn is green I don't care what's growing. The chooks have a wide variety of grasses and weeds out there. DIT would have a heart attack.

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Hydrosseded 6 days ago and no shoots yet. Been wet, but should see something by now right?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What's the soil temp?  Is it warm enough for seed germination?  Also, some mixes may take 10 days to germinate.

16 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Hydrosseded 6 days ago and no shoots yet. Been wet, but should see something by now right?

Still early, once we get through next couple of days and get some sun it will pop. It won't rot in 10!days you'll be fine 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Back yard. Summer 2015 compared to now. Still struggling under the oak. With the cold/wet pattern ending, this is probably the best it'll look rest of this year.

lawn torch.jpg

capture1.a.jpg

Yea, unfortunately unless you made significant changes to the soil and growing conditions it will 100% look like that top pic with warmer temps and without super wet conditions. I mean this is as wet as it gets and its still sort of patchy.

12 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Back yard. Summer 2015 compared to now. Still struggling under the oak. With the cold/wet pattern ending, this is probably the best it'll look rest of this year.

capture1.a.jpg

you need to get some loam and put down a couple inches, or at least fill in the low spots. otherwise, rent a slit-seeder and water the crap out of it.

you need to get some loam and put down a couple inches, or at least fill in the low spots. otherwise, rent a slit-seeder and water the crap out of it.

Aerated and overseeded a month ago. That helped some, but yeah, I need to get some loam in here. Focusing on the front yard for now.

7 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

I need to do someething similar in my front area.  The town really screwed up the area along the road with their plowing this  year. 

21 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Hijacking this thread to the topic of pools.....what's the best way to clear up cloudy water?    It's 100 times better than it was a week ago, but it's far from crystal clear.

Vacuum the pool to remove ALL debris, shock the pool hard, and run the pump and filter continuously.  If that doesn't do it in 3-4 days, you've got something non-organic dissolved in the water that is contributing to the cloudy water condition. 

On 6/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, moneypitmike said:

Hijacking this thread to the topic of pools.....what's the best way to clear up cloudy water?    It's 100 times better than it was a week ago, but it's far from crystal clear.

Check your filter for rips or media, shock it, run the pump a lot. What kind of filtration?

Starting to wonder how well our hydroseed is going to take. It's been two weeks and although the 1st week was pretty cold, I am seeing limited growth. The foreground is where the seed was spread. It's hard to see some of the green areas from this pic, but they are there. However, much still remains barren. Should I be expecting better growth by now?

grass.jpg

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Starting to wonder how well our hydroseed is going to take. It's been two weeks and although the 1st week was pretty cold, I am seeing limited growth. The foreground is where the seed was spread. It's hard to see some of the green areas from this pic, but they are there. However, much still remains barren. Should I be expecting better growth by now?

grass.jpg

Is your seed Kentucky Bluegrass?  Bluegrass is the slowest to germinate (compared to Fescue and Ryegrass) Can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks normally.  Even at 4 weeks, new bluegrass lawns can look pretty sparse.

Also, hard to tell exactly, but that looks a little dry. Are you keeping the seeds/soil constantly moist?  That is critical and the most important factor in getting germination and establishing a new lawn.

When I redid my lawn a few years back in PA myself (15000 sq ft) the hardest part was keeping the seed constantly moist without a in ground irrigation system, lots of hoses and sprinklers throughout the yard. I worked from home so I was able to monitor it, but still was tedious.  I know you have mentioned issues with your well water I think in the past, but you need to make sure that you water everyday multiple times per day. Enough that it is always somewhat damp/moist.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Is your seed Kentucky Bluegrass?  Bluegrass is the slowest to germinate (compared to Fescue and Ryegrass) Can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks normally.  Even at 4 weeks, new bluegrass lawns can look pretty sparse.

Also, hard to tell exactly, but that looks a little dry. Are you keeping the seeds/soil constantly moist?  That is critical and the most important factor in getting germination and establishing a new lawn.

When I redid my lawn a few years back in PA myself (15000 sq ft) the hardest part was keeping the seed constantly moist without a in ground irrigation system, lots of hoses and sprinklers throughout the yard. I worked from home so I was able to monitor it, but still was tedious.  I know you have mentioned issues with your well water I think in the past, but you need to make sure that you water everyday multiple times per day. Enough that it is always somewhat damp/moist.

Not sure what was used for seed. With all the rain lately, the soil has been pretty moist despite it looking dry in spots. Yesterday was 80F and it took a little beating, but hoping for the rain showers to roll in later. Looks like I'll be watering all wknd with the warmer temps coming. I leave on Weds for 5 days, so I hope mother nature helps out.

Archived