Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2017 at 2:18 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

Lava, my phone is not quoting your post for some reason, but think that is Orchard Grass.  Not easy to to get rid of.  I know this is an evil word, but Roundup/glyphosate is really the only way. Might take multiple applications too.

You could try the dig up and reseed method too.

Creepy. Read this thread and went to cnn.com to see some fake news. Saw this as the top story. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/health/roundup-herbicide-cancer-allegations/index.html

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Creepy. Read this thread and went to cnn.com to see some fake news. Saw this as the top story. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/health/roundup-herbicide-cancer-allegations/index.html

It's always possible that later research will discover problems with chemicals once thought to be relatively benign.  However, the evidence presented in the article concerning cancer rates for people exposed to glyphosate use seemed very equivocal.  Also, I've read that the study that triggered the World Health Organization statement failed at peer review due to dubious methodology and reporting.  That said, if one looks for something long enough, one is bound to find it.  I think of the Mythbusters methodology once they've "busted" the myth - if the realistic method doesn't get it done, try to accomplish it by unrealistic methods.  Best example I recall is the myth that a car going head-on with a V-plow could get sliced in half.  The crew tried repeatedly, custom-building a reinforced plow, speeding up the car, etc, but all attempts failed completely.  So they crafted a solid metal wedge on an immovable platform and mounted a car on rails with attached rockets producing 80,000 lb. thrust, and found that with speed of 400 mph they could halve the car, spectacularly.  Likewise, I suspect that long-term bathing in glyphosate might have adverse consequences.  Drinking 4 oz. every morning might also not be good for one's health.  (LD50 for an average person is about a pint of the concentrate - 41% active ingredient.)  

29 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Any suggestions on what to plant on the backside of our rock wall? The front side will be grass (where the sand is). We were going to put wildflower seed down on backside, but second guessing that as it may not look right and be out-of-place.

capture2.jpg

That's one heck of a construction site you have going on there Lava.

Why would the wildflowers look out of place? How about a mini fruit tree orchard..or space for vegetable gardens that could feed half of Maine..lol

15 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

That's one heck of a construction site you have going on there Lava.

Why would the wildflowers look out of place? How about a mini fruit tree orchard..or space for vegetable gardens that could feed half of Maine..lol

Was just thinking the transition from grass to wildflowers, to woods would look odd. Wildflowers seem more "normal" in the presence of surrounding fields. We went a little crazy on the earth work and I am regretting it a bit. Speaking of fields, is there a seed available that grows like what you would see in a large field? I wound't mind something like that and just letting it grow tall, maybe with some dandelions. I like the blueberry bushes Tunafish suggested, but don't have much cash left (lol) to spend on something like that.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Was just thinking the transition from grass to wildflowers, to woods would look odd. Wildflowers seem more "normal" in the presence of surrounding fields. We went a little crazy on the earth work and I am regretting it a bit. Speaking of fields, is there a seed available that grows like what you would see in a large field? I wound't mind something like that and just letting it grow tall, maybe with some dandelions. I like the blueberry bushes Tunafish suggested, but don't have much cash left (lol) to spend on something like that.

What the hell are you building? Are you part of a secret alt-right movement and building underground bunkers?

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Are you just clearing land?

Yes and No. I planned last Fall to clear the trees all the way to the property line, which in the pic would have been another ~50' beyond the current treeline, but ran out of time. The intent is/was to remove the trees that were starting to obstruct our view of the lake. The extra lawn in the foreground will eventually look nice, but the background is an eyesore now and I'm not sure what to do with it.

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I like that look and seems like a good low maintenance idea. You could mow some walking paths through it too.  I'm not sure about the seed, maybe they sell some type of pasture seed or something.

22 hours ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

Is it ok to throw down grub-ex/bug-be-gone right after over seeding your lawn?  Wasn't sure if it would impact seed germination...

too early for grub control now (there not active yet), if you apply  in about a month shouldn't be an issue

Archived