Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Have you tried planting any of those blight resistant American chestnuts?

Not on my woodlot - I think the soils there tend to be wetter than that species prefers, so the limited number of resistant seedlings are better planted elsewhere.  We planted some early crosses at several State lots 15+ years ago, and they proved not to be resistant.  We're receiving (from the American Chestnut Foundation) some 15/16 American-1/16 Chinese seedlings this spring to plant on sandy loam in the upper Machias River country.  That carefully tested 4th-generation cross is expected to hold the Chinese chestnut resistance while having the much larger, faster-growing American chestnut character.

Stop by on your way to NJ next time. You can have every single hundreds of thousands of them 

:lol:
Unfortunately, while seed from across longitude usually is okay, that from across latitude seldom works out.  Your acorns would likely produce trees that break bud way too early to survive up here. 

12 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

so how do you deal with them? are you constantly raking them out of your lawn?

In the fall the blower gets some of them, but certainly not all. If I have time I try to rake some of them before the ground freezes. But you just never get them all and then each June you see little Oak shots growing in the grass and the mower takes care of them but I'll still try and pull the acorn shell out of the grass. The squirrels then bury some and dig the hell out of the grass in the fall which drives me even more insane. In the spring I'll blow and rake some more out. Even now I'm still finding lids and shells from the squirrels 

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not on my woodlot - I think the soils there tend to be wetter than that species prefers, so the limited number of resistant seedlings are better planted elsewhere.  We planted some early crosses at several State lots 15+ years ago, and they proved not to be resistant.  We're receiving (from the American Chestnut Foundation) some 15/16 American-1/16 Chinese seedlings this spring to plant on sandy loam in the upper Machias River country.  That carefully tested 4th-generation cross is expected to hold the Chinese chestnut resistance while having the much larger, faster-growing American chestnut character.

Stop by on your way to NJ next time. You can have every single hundreds of thousands of them 

:lol:
Unfortunately, while seed from across longitude usually is okay, that from across latitude seldom works out.  Your acorns would likely produce trees that break bud way too early to survive up here. 

Chestnuts were never to abundant here, the tree we hear about most is the elm.   There is a really large survivor tree right next to my office building.  It looks to be 60'-80' tall.

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

In the fall the blower gets some of them, but certainly not all. If I have time I try to rake some of them before the ground freezes. But you just never get them all and then each June you see little Oak shots growing in the grass and the mower takes care of them but I'll still try and pull the acorn shell out of the grass. The squirrels then bury some and dig the hell out of the grass in the fall which drives me even more insane. In the spring I'll blow and rake some more out. Even now I'm still finding lids and shells from the squirrels 

ok so you are not as obsessed as I thought. I had a million last fall, but could only suck so many up with the mower. it was like driving on ball bearings. even more on the ground this spring, half of which are now buried in the lawn, many of them have already started to root. i dumped the equivalent of about 2-5 gallon buckets of just acorns this past weekend.

21 hours ago, mreaves said:

Chestnuts were never to abundant here, the tree we hear about most is the elm.   There is a really large survivor tree right next to my office building.  It looks to be 60'-80' tall.

The chestnut stronghold was the central Apps, though they were once common up through SNE.  In the literature one can find comments that, in the eastern hardwood forest, one tree in four was a chestnut.  The blight may be the worst ecological catastrophe for the US in millennia, not as dramatic as the fate of the passenger pigeon but with far greater ecosystem impact.  Even so, other tree species (mainly oaks) colonized the openings relatively quickly, and the forests remained forests.  The handful of chestnut trees on a state lot about 20 miles north of BGR may have (sometimes) avoided blight because they were at the northern edge of the species' original range.  I've read that oaks can harbor the blight fungus without taking harm, meaning that a re-introduction of non-resistant chestnuts is probably doomed even if there have been none of them in the area for decades.

Numerous elms on my very moist woodlot - they like that habitat - and a few get DED-ed each summer.  Some very nice specimen elms in both Farmington and Augusta, but again a few casualties each year.  Some have said that a new hyper-virulent variety of the fungus is at work.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:43 AM, Lava Rock said:

Is it worth renting a core aerator followed by overseeding? I know a slit seeder would be better but would we get decent growth using the core aerator?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My brother and I are doing that tomorrow. He picked up some bagged manure I think to spread in a key part of his yard.  I'm just aerating, as I overseeded and limed in the fall and any seed that I would put down won't have a chance to get going before I put Dimension down.       

On 4/22/2017 at 0:11 PM, Lava Rock said:

Aeration and overseeding done. Aerator was a beast to operate on any incline. IMG_20170422_090315710.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

you are doing the right thing.

they make a self-propelled overseeder now, which makes the hills a little bit easier. But it is still a beast.

On Thu May 04 2017 at 8:08 AM, sunny&pleasant said:

had so much rain that i am cutting every 4th day now at the highest setting, otherwise clippings are too much to mulch and cutting too much of the grass blade length.

IMG_1241.thumb.JPG.abea3cb87d36e1843bb7db8e99a724b0.JPG

On Wed May 03 2017 at 7:05 PM, IrishRob17 said:

A quick shot in the fading light 

IMG_5875.PNG

Looking grest, guys. Just mowed for the first time today.....lawn looks like crap this yesr.  Needs mucho work.

Archived