• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

Even though most of us are still up to thy knickers in snow... it's time to fire it up. With the threat of winter wx over, thoughts turn to lush green lawns, getting that first app of fert dropped, lime, spring clean ups, hens pecking Dendrites coc ks, and MPM will start deciding which forest on his property he wants to defoliate next. 

Before long we'll transform to this 

http://image-1_zpsa49ed558.jpg

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Awesome.  Cancer Causing Chemical Season (CCCS) is upon us.  When white burbanites go wild, all in the name of green grass.

Looking forward to the pics and advice.

Trying to go all organic here.  I've been watching a lot of Lawn Care Nut videos on youtube this winter.

I try for a happy medium.  I do put down crabgrass preventer and fertilizer in the spring and a shot of fertilizer in the summer and fall, but that's about it.   Some of the neighbors have these lawn companies that spray chemicals every 2 weeks.  Hell, I'm not sure what half if it even is.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

In addition to the 7300 sqft of grass we need to seed, we also need to seed another 10,000 sqft just beyond the grass. Planning on using wildflower seed. Any suggestions on a good mix? Lots of companies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'd stick with a local company that has indigenous wildflower mixes.

18 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'd stick with a local company that has indigenous wildflower mixes.

Absolutely. Usually your local AG feed store (not Agway) has the best grass seed and other seed mixes ("pasture" mix). All the crap at HD/Lowes/TSC sucks. Your local septic system company will definitely know the best local seed to use and where to get it. 

As for fertilizers, yeah- 2-4,D is horrible and the most typical "weed control" compound in residential stuff.

ALL New England field crops are grown with Glyphosate (commercially branded 'Round Up'), that's the only way to keep the weeds down. Every corn field you see is sprayed with it at least once a year. You're eating it no matter what.

Ever wonder why rice is grown in standing water? Rice will grow, weeds will not.

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Spring cleanup yesterday including branch, stick, twig disaster and back pack blower cleaning all the acorn crap, and other nonsense left from animals and winds and storms.

Tomorrow we drop pelletized lime and shot of straight fert..wash it in Thursday and let the HHH early next week go to work on the lawn.

I'm surprised you drop lime in the spring.  I always do it in the fall to give it a chance to breakdown before the next growing season.  Half of my yard has been raked, hoping to finish the rest up today after work. 

42 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'm surprised you drop lime in the spring.  I always do it in the fall to give it a chance to breakdown before the next growing season.  Half of my yard has been raked, hoping to finish the rest up today after work. 

I've always had luck dropping the lime pellets in the spring.Haven't limed in a few years, but I've got a few areas of moss where it's shady, do it's time 

16 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

In addition to the 7300 sqft of grass we need to seed, we also need to seed another 10,000 sqft just beyond the grass. Planning on using wildflower seed. Any suggestions on a good mix? Lots of companies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

American Meadows

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I want to plant some white clover. Right now my yard is covered snow, but I know it's underwater underneath. How well will the clover seeds take in the soggy soil by just tossing the seeds over the part of the lawn where I want them?

I would think like any type of seed, you just don't want them to dry out before germination.  Now, some high quality grass seeds maybe more finicky than Clover seeds, so I'm guessing you would have some better luck with Clover Seeds if you just do the "spread it and forget it method".  That wouldn't work with quality grass seed.

Main things you would want would be seed to soil contact and constant moisture to get the best results.  I'm guessing they are pretty cheap, so you can try to just chuck some down and see what happens, but you may not get a ton of germination that way unless you drop it and we are in a really wet pattern for 10-14 days

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I would think like any type of seed, you just don't want them to dry out before germination.  Now, some high quality grass seeds maybe more finicky than Clover seeds, so I'm guessing you would have some better luck with Clover Seeds if you just do the "spread it and forget it method".  That wouldn't work with quality grass seed.

Main things you would want would be seed to soil contact and constant moisture to get the best results.  I'm guessing they are pretty cheap, so you can try to just chuck some down and see what happens, but you may not get a ton of germination that way unless you drop it and we are in a really wet pattern for 10-14 days

thanks...maybe i'll give it a shot

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Ha, didn't think you would approve.   It is a good option for a low input groundcover though if that's what you looking for.

I mean to each their own.. but this is the first time I've ever heard someone that wants to add weeds as a lawn. 99% of people seek to get rid of them. I mean that's Laura Ingalls, Swiss Family Robinson type stuff.. but who am I to judge?

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I mean to each their own.. but this is the first time I've ever heard someone that wants to add weeds as a lawn. 99% of people seek to get rid of them. I mean that's Laura Ingalls, Swiss Family Robinson type stuff.. but who am I to judge?

I'm putting it around my run. It's food for the chickens. I'll be planting more "weeds" too. I can't wait to take pics and post them here for you to see. I plan to have a lawn with variety and life to it...not one on PEDs.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I want to plant some white clover. Right now my yard is covered snow, but I know it's underwater underneath. How well will the clover seeds take in the soggy soil by just tossing the seeds over the part of the lawn where I want them?

One risk of seeding early and not having them sprout for several weeks is heavy rain. The seeds are tiny and will float around in a downpour.  I had to re-sow an area that hadn't sprouted after that hailstorm last June.... they all sprouted in random circular spots that used to be puddles.

Yeah a huge reason for water quality impairment in streams and rivers is over fertilization of residential lawns. The problem is most people over apply (not saying people do that here, but I for one, know my father takes it to a crazy level). 

I have some shady area behind my house that always grows moss and kills whatever grass I plant.....If I lime heavily, will it help? Powder or pelletized? 

13 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Yeah a huge reason for water quality impairment in streams and rivers is over fertilization of residential lawns. The problem is most people over apply (not saying people do that here, but I for one, know my father takes it to a crazy level). 

I have some shady area behind my house that always grows moss and kills whatever grass I plant.....If I lime heavily, will it help? Powder or pelletized? 

Lime won't kill moss. It helps soil acidity . Moss likes acidic soil. You'll have to rake out the moss and reseed it. If it's shady, or compacted soil , the moss will eventually come back.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lime won't kill moss. It helps soil acidity . Moss likes acidic soil. You'll have to rake out the moss and reseed it. If it's shady, or compacted soil , the moss will eventually come back.

It will keep him with something to do though!

It's the shade. 

Archived