SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 mountain and foothill spring thread

Met1985

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the big weather maker in the picture is Irma but we have some absolutely splendid Fall weather that will be arriving this week. This is very unusual also for this time of the year. Usually these troughs get hung up and we get this stale cloudy murky period but it looks like this trough will swing right through wilh some amazing temps. Highs in the 50s to 60s with lows in the 40s! Maybe even the upper 30s for the extreme highest elevations. An absolute treat for sure.

6 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I'm ready for a category 2 hurricane to come roaring through. or higher depending how fast it weakens.

Yeah me too! If it happens.  I tell yea h we have seen a ton of rainfall the past 24 hours. Over 2 inches and counting. Multiple storms overnight and currently heavy rainfall. Impressive for a trough this time of the year. Current temp is 55 also. A cold rain!

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah me too! If it happens.  I tell yea h we have seen a ton of rainfall the past 24 hours. Over 2 inches and counting. Multiple storms overnight and currently heavy rainfall. Impressive for a trough this time of the year. Current temp is 55 also. A cold rain!

I want to experience a hurricane. Made it to the outer banks immediately after Irene I think it was. But i want to actually go through a complete hurricane.  Haven't had quite as much rain, but it's been soggy here too. 54 in Boone headed to class this morning.

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I'm ready for a category 2 hurricane to come roaring through. or higher depending how fast it weakens.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Irma

45 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Irma

Joe glad you are back! Yeah this recent run would be big trouble for the mountains for flooding. An almost perfect track for the foothills and most of the mountains to see 5+ inches of rainfall.  Only one model run though. A lot and I mean a lot of time for this thing to do about anything in the future.

As for today, this is right out of the playbook in mid to late October. Current temp is still 55 degrees with heavy overcast skies, everything is damp and wet. Fall is here and I am excited for this Fall to start out early like this. sure we will warm up here and there but man this is beautiful for this time of the year.

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Joe glad you are back! Yeah this recent run would be big trouble for the mountains for flooding. An almost perfect track for the foothills and most of the mountains to see 5+ inches of rainfall.  Only one model run though. A lot and I mean a lot of time for this thing to do about anything in the future.

Not quite back yet. We're scheduled to return the weekend of the 23rd. But might have to go back for a few days if this cane decides to come to Salter Path. 

Just now, SnoJoe said:

Not quite back yet. We're scheduled to return the weekend of the 23rd. But might have to go back for a few days if this cane decides to come to Salter Path. 

Ok well keep a close eye on things. Don't get stuck down there with this beast barrelling through the Atlantic. The weather up here has been beautiful by the way.

Just now, franklin NCwx said:

Not liking how the models keep bringing her to die here in the mtns. Not looking forward to all that wind and rain.

Speaking of wind it has really ramped up here this late afternoon. A brisk breeze has set in. Yeah I am not either. There has been many runs where we get smacked really good. Last thing we need is another Ivan coming through here. We had had a good amount of rainfall lately and through the summer so the ground is in no way shape or form dry. 

Just now, Buckethead said:

We're already down to 47° here, Met.  Enjoying the fireplace!  

Dang. I just cant beat your elevation... It will be interesting this winter up there. I plan on moving up to a higher elevation next year if all goes well. Maybe 3900 to 4000 so hopefully I can make a run for you lol. This weather has been perfect especially for the first of September! I heard that Mt Mitchells high today was just 46!

Archived