Newest Member
    joxey
2017 mountain and foothill spring thread

Met1985

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Here's hoping, Met.  Overcast and 64 today...that's Thanksgiving weather where I came from lol.  

Lol man we have had several white Thanksgivings recently. I think you will really enjoy this weather and with your elevation you should do very well with NW flow I think. 

5 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

3 inches of rain so far today! And still pouring in ashe.

Man that is crazy! Any flash flooding?

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Lol man we have had several white Thanksgivings recently. I think you will really enjoy this weather and with your elevation you should do very well with NW flow I think. 

Man that is crazy! Any flash flooding?

Unfortunately I was at work during the entire storm, so the best I could do was ask the customers coming through the pharmacy drive thru. There was only a small area of around 6 square miles that had considerable amounts of rain, and roads were covered in water right around downtown west Jefferson. but that was about the extent of it.

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Another banner day again in the mountains. You can feel fall is right around the corner!

This has definitely been the nicest summer of the thus far 3 I've been up here. Even my trips down the mountain haven't been nearly as oppressive. Just got back from a 3 day trip to North GA and it only hit 84º at the highest down there. Definitely still too hot for me but still not horrible.

8 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

This has definitely been the nicest summer of the thus far 3 I've been up here. Even my trips down the mountain haven't been nearly as oppressive. Just got back from a 3 day trip to North GA and it only hit 84º at the highest down there. Definitely still too hot for me but still not horrible.

Yeah this has been a top 5 summer for me so far. We have had very nice temps and plenty of rainfall. Cannot ask for anything else really.  We are in the later weeks of summer so things look great down the road. If seasons are in seasons this year I will be happy.

Very heavy rain in the Blue Ridge escarpment has increased the flooding threat there for the next few weeks. Hopefully a tropical system doesn't get involved or it could get bad. Some places around Lake Lure had 6-8 inches of rain last night and many places in McDowell, Burke, Caldwell, and Rutherford counties had 2 or more

Very heavy rain in the Blue Ridge escarpment has increased the flooding threat there for the next few weeks. Hopefully a tropical system doesn't get involved or it could get bad. Some places around Lake Lure had 6-8 inches of rain last night and many places in McDowell, Burke, Caldwell, and Rutherford counties had 2 or more

Yeah, I was watching all that rain on radar. Didn't think it would make it over to me in Hickory, but I had over half an inch of rain when I checked the gauge this morning. It's been quite wet here too lately, though nothing compared to the immediate foothills.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Welp. If we're counting foggy mornings in August, all of them have started out foggy for me.

Gotta love mountain folklore!

Folklore is about the only signal/teleconnection we seem able too work in our favor the past 2 winters. Long live Mtn fog and the woolyworm. Who neeeds a -NAO

This weather we are currently having is great for the end of August. 60s and 70 for highs and 50s for lows is absolutely beautiful. You could not ask for better weather. I think we will warm up a bit but Fall is less than a month away. We all know September is one of the most boring months for weather here in WNC. If we can stay like we are currently I don't think anyone will complain. It will be interesting to see what happens to the remnants of this hurricane in the Gulf. Whether we get a heavy dose of rain or not. 

There is a possibility that we get some significant rainfall from the remnants of Harvey towards the end of the week into the weekend. Currently WPC has WNC from 2 to 4 inches of rainfall coming in over the next 5 to 6 days. This is a big question mark though. Even if we got that much rain here I do not see any major threats of flooding because we have gone kind of dry the past week or two. Something to keep an eye on though. 

There is a possibility that we get some significant rainfall from the remnants of Harvey towards the end of the week into the weekend. Currently WPC has WNC from 2 to 4 inches of rainfall coming in over the next 5 to 6 days. This is a big question mark though. Even if we got that much rain here I do not see any major threats of flooding because we have gone kind of dry the past week or two. Something to keep an eye on though. 

Yeah Met models have began keying in on SW flow mesoscale features that will enhance rainfall from Harvey, especially in the Southern Balsams. 3km NAM through Friday had 3.4" of precip at KAVL and a precip maxima over the SW Balsams. I know that rain is causing problems along the Gulf Coast, but we need the rain here and 4" or so would be just fine with me. I haven't had measurable rain imby for at least 10 days.

4 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Yeah Met models have began keying in on SW flow mesoscale features that will enhance rainfall from Harvey, especially in the Southern Balsams. 3km NAM through Friday had 3.4" of precip at KAVL and a precip maxima over the SW Balsams. I know that rain is causing problems along the Gulf Coast, but we need the rain here and 4" or so would be just fine with me. I haven't had measurable rain imby for at least 10 days.

Yeah Ward I fully agree. 2 to 4 inches is needed. We are in no drought by any means but this would be a positive boost to continue our great trend right through the rest of summer.

Archived