Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 mountain and foothill spring thread

Met1985

44 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

With the sun going down and the temp finally getting below freezing (30.3) things are starting to get white quick. I've got about a half inch and it's really coming down now. Give me 3 to 4 and I'll be at about half of my normal snowfall. Sad that it took until April to get it.

Lol yeah this has been a depressing wintet no doubt. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet there will be some impressive totals coming out of the higher elevations, especially between Cherokee and gatlinburg.   Looks like they have basically been getting hammered since 10-11 this morning.  Has anyone heard any reports from this area?

Still some patchy snow on the ground at Mitchell today. First trip up there since October and boy was it nice. 54º with a breeze when I got up there. Perfect hiking weather. Nice crepuscular rays to boot.

Noticed the "green line" down around 3kft. Lots of buds on the trees above that (except up at Mitchell) but still very brown. 

_DSC3327.jpg

14 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Good morning mountain folks! It's been a few. Looking down the road at the euro it looks like blackberry winter will be upon us soon. The euro is showing a pretty strong system moving through kind of like a cutoff but faster.  Temps cool significantly with ample chances for rainfall. 

No doubt we can use the rain and hopefully put an end to spring fire season.

29 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

No doubt we can use the rain and hopefully put an end to spring fire season.

Yeah looks like we see some great chances from today through Wednesday.  We have gotten intermittent showers already. The Euro still shows a significant cool down I'm sure with more chances of rainfall. 

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

Just had a storm to roll through that drenched me with over a half of an inch. Nice way to start a 36 hour rain event.

Yeah it has been hammering here also. Coming back from Asheville on 40 there was a huge tree down across half the interstate.  We have had a lot of rain this week.

34 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Did you guys know it rained a bit? Currently sitting at 3.5 inches for the last 48 hours alone, not sure what the past 7 day totals are but it's getting close to the 6 inch range I think. Got a lot of rain yesterday, was very impressive.

Lol just a bit. We have gotten like 2 months worth of rainfall in a week. Crazy! It raining again!  All the rivers, streams and creeks are way up.  We have added another half inch to what I posted last night. Very impressive. 

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

A more official report has come out showing the closest area to me that has an official measurement (Miller's creek) of 5.36 inches in the past 72 hours.

Dang impressive!  And still raining. If you believe the euro we have more opportunities for cooler weather and rainfall down the line. 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:59 PM, Met1985 said:

I think we heat up but only to cool down again with more rainfall.  Shoot the 18z is showing high elevation snow for the morning of May 5th.

So your saying there is a chance at a May 5, 1992 re-dew to celebrate the 25th anniversary:snowing::

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/anniversary-of-freak-five-feet-of-nc-snow/18831

On 4/25/2017 at 9:59 PM, Met1985 said:

I think we heat up but only to cool down again with more rainfall.  Shoot the 18z is showing high elevation snow for the morning of May 5th.

This has been the trend on both the GFS/Euro for the past couple days. I'm pretty excited. 12z Euro has a nasty warm nose that kept Boone proper as rain, but 850's and up are supportive. Might be making a trip to Mitchell next Fri/Sat.

On 4/27/2017 at 6:58 AM, Moonhowl said:

So your saying there is a chance at a May 5, 1992 re-dew to celebrate the 25th anniversary:snowing::

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/anniversary-of-freak-five-feet-of-nc-snow/18831

Iv read about this snowfall. That was a very interesting setup. Especially for late season.

14 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

This has been the trend on both the GFS/Euro for the past couple days. I'm pretty excited. 12z Euro has a nasty warm nose that kept Boone proper as rain, but 850's and up are supportive. Might be making a trip to Mitchell next Fri/Sat.

Yeah it looks interesting for sure. Today's 12z looks like a huge swing from this weekend. We go from the mid 80s to probably highs in the 50s with a deep trough for the end of next week. We will probably see a lot more rain also out of a setup like that. Some cold air aloft too.

Archived