35 minutes ago, husky0101 said:

From Upton:

Interesting Norlun Trough event as closed upper low dives out
of the Great Lakes to the Mid-Atlantic Coast on Saturday - some
21Z SREF Members in excess of 6" (8 or 26 for eastern Long
Island and 5 of 26 in the City). 00Z NAM is rather impressive -
perhaps this is Long Island`s turn? Winds in SREF have potential
for 40 KT with heavy snow...hummm.

What a bunch of weenies they are at that office.

1 hour ago, husky0101 said:

From Upton:

Interesting Norlun Trough event as closed upper low dives out
of the Great Lakes to the Mid-Atlantic Coast on Saturday - some
21Z SREF Members in excess of 6" (8 or 26 for eastern Long
Island and 5 of 26 in the City). 00Z NAM is rather impressive -
perhaps this is Long Island`s turn? Winds in SREF have potential
for 40 KT with heavy snow...hummm.

They discounted the NAM on Monday night and that didn't work out too well.

By the way folks remember the Euro ensembles and the 99.9% chance of a foot for the Tuesday "blizzard" ?

Guess what I found in my FB memories today? Same forecast for same time period last year!!

March 17 4:06p:

At least 35 members in the European Ensemble calling for an all-out blizzard with more than a foot in New York City for Sunday #NYwx"

10 minutes ago, Animal said:

Mt Holly nws is 1 to 3 in the zones that touch Upton zones.

not drinking the same water on this event.

That might not actually be a bad forecast because the way it looks is that line may be the cutoff between those amounts. It appears as though the further NE you head the greater the chance of any significant accumulations. 

1 hour ago, JetsPens87 said:

That might not actually be a bad forecast because the way it looks is that line may be the cutoff between those amounts. It appears as though the further NE you head the greater the chance of any significant accumulations. 

Agreed.  I send out winter weather notes to coworkers, friends and family (and FB) and I made that exact comment, reading between the lines...

"Confidence in this forecast is pretty low, as these kinds of inverted troughs, associated with redeveloping clippers off the coast, are notoriously difficult to pinpoint. There will likely be 2-4" of snow from the system somewhere, but exactly where is the question and that's mostly likely north of 78 and east of the Parkway, which is likely why the NWS-NYC is predicting a bit more snow, as per the maps below."

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

0z guidance was focusing in more on Eastern LI/SE NENG.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_060_0000.gif.5cf7d4b25dbe098545c2db77589b9725.gifP1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif.3a580d5cea52b22116831f00e4ab49e9.gif

I agree. I suspect that the best chance for an appreciable or greater snowfall will probably exist in an area running from eastern Suffolk County into eastern New England. Climatology favors that region for Norlun troughs and at least some of the guidance has begun to focus on that area. A light accumulation remains possible in and around NYC and its nearby suburbs.

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I agree. I suspect that the best chance for an appreciable or greater snowfall will probably exist in an area running from eastern Suffolk County into eastern New England. Climatology favors that region for Norlun troughs and at least some of the guidance has begun to focus on that area. A light accumulation remains possible in and around NYC and its nearby suburbs.

Don, the other thing is, with these very marginal temps and thickness, 10:1 ratios are too high, it's late March now. Ratios will be 5:1 or 6:1. The UVVs also won't be that strong with this thing, wherever the trough does set up. The snowmaps with 10:1 ratios are not going to be reality for this thing 

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Don, the other thing is, with these very marginal temps and thickness, 10:1 ratios are too high, it's late March now. Ratios will be 5:1 or 6:1. The UVVs also won't be that strong with this thing, wherever the trough does set up. The snowmaps with 10:1 ratios are not going to be reality for this thing 

It's not that marginal, 850s are like -5C and dewpoints are low. That being said, the 2-4" for NYC and 4-6" for White Plains may not verify if everything is shunted east. NWS seems aggressive.

13 minutes ago, nzucker said:

It's not that marginal, 850s are like -5C and dewpoints are low. That being said, the 2-4" for NYC and 4-6" for White Plains may not verify if everything is shunted east. NWS seems aggressive.

12z should make it or break it in my book. If it keeps trending east I think there's little that happens west of Islip-the Euro still going with little and the RGEM cutting back are red flags to me. But the pieces can still fall the right way and make this a nice event, it just has to be less progressive.

This is what I was speaking about yesterday in terms of the snow threat gradually shifting East as we moved closer. We could still get some snow as the trough dives down but once the transfer occurs it will put just about everyone out of play except for Suffolk.

16 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I agree. NWS way too aggressive north and west of the city. That 4-6 should be more like 1-2

Archived