Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Possible ligh snow event 3/18-3/19 & Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 700mb charts are pretty interesting on the NAM.  There's a pretty long duration where the mid-levels are saturated and the mid-level low evolution looks pretty good for moderate wraparound precip. right along the coast.

I'll be curious to see if the initial tenth or two of QPF materializes as widespread light precip. or if it ends up as localized banding.  Same goes with the wraparound.  This thing looks to move pretty slowly, so any heavy bands that set up over an area could be productive.

Sat. could be snowy in the higher elevations of EPA and NNJ.  But does any heavy precip. develop along the coast on Sat. night, and does it fall as snow?

22 minutes ago, weatherfreeeeak said:

How was the RGEM past 48?

You can check the extended RGEM yourself by going to the meteocentre interface, opening one of the frames in a new tab, and manually changing the url to obtain frames past 48 hours in 6-hour increments.

While not quite as wet as 12z, it still looks very good. The city finds its way into a well-developed deformation band on the NW side of the storm. 

otQD4jt.gif

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Most people can't be arsed to even check the NAM for themselves. Put a little effort into finding maps and you're basically an expert hacker in these parts.

I used to run a script during active severe weather days that would check for the next WW by polling the URL that it would occupy and send me an alert when it finally stopped returning a 404.  :nerdsmiley:

1 hour ago, sferic said:

When is the last time in mid March that we had 2 snow events within 4 days of each other?

Also being so cold now will the ocean temperatures normalize to what they should have been in this time frame?

Their pretty cold for this time of year after the warm weather we had before.

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

Do what? We did alright with the last storm.

Every model has this little storm. We track.

Actually that last storm was pretty serious....there was A LOT of sleet in CNJ, not only were schools closed ours had a delay the next day....4-8 of sleet, ice pellets, is difficult to clean up and drive in....visibility is better than snow, other than that it's a real chore. I was referencing your obvious frustration last storm ( mine too ) which is now tempered because we realize it really wasn't that bad for us compared to parts of LI and the Jersey shore, or Philly. People were calling in to WNYC day of the storm from all over the area, with wide disparities in amounts, though several were thankful that it was just washing away...

1 hour ago, sferic said:

When is the last time in mid March that we had 2 snow events within 4 days of each other?

Also being so cold now will the ocean temperatures normalize to what they should have been in this time frame?

March 1992 had two fairly close, during the era when decent snow was rare....

Both the NAM and GFS agree on the idea of decent lift in the area. The forecast on the GFS is more favorable, however, as it concentrates VVs in the DGZ, unlike the NAM. The only problem I see are BL temps, but the timing of this snowfall may aid in that department. The RGEM is a good example of this, as the surface steadily cools to below 0C, flipping NYC to snow. 

omeg.png

omeg.png

Archived