Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible ligh snow event 3/18-3/19 & Obs

Zelocita Weather

22 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Norlun.....

Not really. By definition, Norlun troughs require strong low-level instability capable of supporting convective squalls. I'll attach a map which shows the inverted trough wind shift very clearly, but no instability to speak of - you'd want lapse rates to be near dry adiabatic in an ideal Norlun situation. In other words, every Norlun event is an inverted trough, but not every inverted trough is a Norlun.

KsxwHqF.png

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Not really. By definition, Norlun troughs require strong low-level instability capable of supporting convective squalls. I'll attach a map which shows the inverted trough wind shift very clearly, but no instability to speak of - you'd want lapse rates to be near dry adiabatic in an ideal Norlun situation. In other words, every Norlun event is an inverted trough, but not every inverted trough is a Norlun.

KsxwHqF.png

Hence why they are rare. I know when they occur to perfection they could be spectecular. I vaguely remember one in Portaln ME, that gave them 14 inches in 4 hours ( saw video where snow was coming down in 1 solid sheet)

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If the inverted trough (if one forms) it is going to hit New England, as they always do. How many times have they been predicted here and it turned into total futility. I'm making the call right now and Morris can throw it in my face if I'm wrong, but over the next 2 days the models will shift the norlun will shift into eastern New England and this "event" will turn into a non event down here Saturday. Little to no accumulation this weekend. Boundary layer temps too warm, crappy thicknesses, weak isentropic/overrunning, late March. This will be the next bust for the area

It's hard to bust in the negative direction with this one when almost nothing is currently expected.  You might be right that no snow materializes this weekend, but a great way to get snow in Mid-March is to have low geopotential heights cross overhead.  That can help with the warm boundary layer.

8 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

This is how infrequent it is around NYC. last time was 6 years ago ( and Im not even sure how it turned) 3-6 inches were forcast...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/narrow-heavy-snow-band-to-targ/44005

Thanks! This is the one I was thinking of! I remember TWC playing it up and it didn't materialize here. Anyway, I'm ready for Spring.

NAM going berserk with the inverted trough over NYC and LI. We'd have to battle warm air on east winds for a while but that would be a thumping for sure later on. These are too fickle to lock in but the 500mb pattern is doing what we need to-dig the low underneath us and allow moisture to back in. 

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If the inverted trough (if one forms) it is going to hit New England, as they always do. How many times have they been predicted here and it turned into total futility. I'm making the call right now and Morris can throw it in my face if I'm wrong, but over the next 2 days the models will shift the norlun will shift into eastern New England and this "event" will turn into a non event down here Saturday. Little to no accumulation this weekend. Boundary layer temps too warm, crappy thicknesses, weak isentropic/overrunning, late March. This will be the next bust for the area

Just from past performance, this is probably what will happen. We had about a foot or so of snow and sleet on Tuesday and it was more difficult to move than last year's 2'+, so I'm ready for Spring and to work on the yard. (Plus, we have plans Saturday evening!)

31 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I have no problem when you use solid reasoning. You might end up wrong, but it's a good argument.

1 hour ago, North and West of Town said:

Just from past performance, this is probably what will happen. We had about a foot or so of snow and sleet on Tuesday and it was more difficult to move than last year's 2'+, so I'm ready for Spring and to work on the yard. (Plus, we have plans Saturday evening!)

Philly got hit with a trough a few years ago.

23 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

A closer up look. This will obviously change, but clearly lots of potential somewhere in a 100-200 mile radius

qpf_acc.us_ne.png

Ummm. Portions of Queens and western LI. Have the qpf triple from one run to another on the NAM  . At the very least this help to distract one from this appointment in the blizzard that wasn't ( and yes I don't consider four inches of snow plus 3 inches of sleet a blizzard but a sleezard)

52 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This one has a chance here because of the pattern ultimately forcing the storm south.  What may still occur though is that the trof doesn't develop early and doesn't form til the system is ultimately east of New England.  

Everything has been trending west this season so let's hope for that earlier transfer and boom we can get a warning snow even in NYC. I noticed that norlun setups happen mostly in late winter march so we have our chances. I don't know what snowman19 is saying, I get norluns favor the New England but he's been so wrong this year that he should just give it up. 

I doubt anyone outside of E LI and far SE SNL gets much out of this. The general rule of thumb with these types of events are that the models are usually too far Southwest until the last minute. I would expect things to continue shifting East throughout the next day.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I doubt anyone outside of E LI and far SE SNL gets much out of this. The general rule of thumb with these types of events are that the models are usually too far Southwest until the last minute. I would expect things to continue shifting East throughout the next day.

Agreed. This favors LI. 

1 minute ago, nycwinter said:

queens which is part of nyc and nassau county which is part of long island share a border....

Technically Long Island extends to the East River so Queens/BK is Long Island. Regardless of geographic definitions, this setup is complicated to forecast...

Archived