Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem VII

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No one wants anymore cold nasty wx. That season is behind us. It's now tans, shorts, lawns, warmth ,installs 

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean every model run is going to show what you want.  Forecasting and model discussion has nothing to do with what you want and more to do with what the models actually show.

Though why would someone forecast weather they don't want?  

But if someone says model XYZ is showing 42F and rain, I doubt that means they want that haha.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That's not cold and miserable. That's bearable 

It's just nice to have the lawn raked , cleaned , and blown, mulch turned over in beds, woodpecker holes in siding filled and painted, couple of thin spots reseeded, fert and lime dropped , deck powerwashed and outdoor furniture out.. watching the greenup explode before our eyes. Hopefully it's just 60's and not 42 and NE flow with rain 

I do agree with your bolded quite violently.

Personally, I want regular shots of rain through the summer. Our golf course has been told we have to limit the amount of water from the river for irrigation so I want no part of droughtiness again this summer.  Disclaimer - this does not mean I am wishing for days of 40's and misery mist, just nice gentle, warm showers on a regular basis. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Shorts for the easter bunny Sunday? Keep that low way up in NNE please.

I think we can thread the needle Sunday. Looks like we get the weak wave to move through to our north Sunday AM and we get clearing with a nice rebound warmup Sunday afternoon, and the fropa holds off until Monday. 

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

I like our chances. Saturday at least looks like a slam dunk for another gem. 

The Euro (...and to more than less extent the other guidance hint) offers up a two-day evolution that looks remarkably similar to this last Sunday into yesterday - in my opinion.   

Saturday dawns with a rich morning sun tsunamis pouring over the horizon, as high pressure drifts S of the area ...gradually transitioning the air mass into an offshore component from the surface on up.  The 850 mb thermal layout starts the day around -2 C, but ends around +5 to +2 from SW to NE toward 00z, Sunday.  That smacks as a late high again ... 

Sunday? Forget it.  That is in a deep continental barotropic region on this Euro run, period.  This model has consistent with a trend to make that appeal more obvious over the last several cycles..  Last night has a diffused warm boundary rocketing through the area overnight, Saturday... Sunday ends up with unabated W wind under +12 (to +15C as we get close ...most likely) at 850, with superb heating/mixing potential... Should be 85 under that ... There is limited chance any machine-based MOS products that have sloped climo factoring would pick up on a shot of heat like that.

Brian's right tho.  Despite the trend above... there's time to correct that low south and the whole of the synoptic structure with less eastern heights...Should that occur, as is typically the contingency of April/May ... boundaries can mean 30 F across 50 miles.  Personally I don't think it will tho -

I sense that we are getting into what I thought would happen when I opined about this matter back in December/January.. how the southern height wall may balloon prematurely as we head toward spring.  That relay was obviously not smooth and did not work out too well in March...But, I see the warm spell in latter February as related, actually... and once the March thing moved off, we see that the heights in the deep south and SE have been popping anomalously by + 2 to 6 DM at nadirs to a bit more positive when it's flexed. You can clearly see this behavior at larger scales in my mind.. No sooner than do these S/W move off the 45th by 100W region of the flow... we end up with a kind of rest state -PNAP.  

Anyway, it's a bit hypothetical/operational conjecture, but still I could see us in a kind of 2 to 3 day above by 1 to 1.5 day negative oscillation just the same.   

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Warm sector and dews in SNE with sun first part of day.. not up where you are no

Not going to get air mass severe t storms anywhere in NE with that air mass in place. Keep in mind it's early April. Don't have the CAPE. 

Isolated strong maybe; severe no. 

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Every neg forecast since Feb has verified neutral or pos.

also the application of the AO on one's location over the contiguous might be less useful then the EPO and NAO.  

those later domains spaces overlap the mid latitudes and are easily shown to be more correlated with the temperature anomaly distribution over regions lower than then ~ the 45th parallel.  

-AO can 'dump' cold loads into Eurasia and North America doesn't even get into it at times. And reverse... for that matter.  The -AO is more important for us if it coincides with a some -EPO and/or -NAO phase.  If the -AO gets overwhelming, it will enhances those regions and drive them negative - I am not sure that depiction is of sufficient magnitude to enforce the middle and lower EPO and NAO teleconnectors into a cold delivery.  

There's also spread there... some of those members are not that negative, with a "splayed" curve indicating less skill. 

Speaking of severe-flew BOS-ORD yesterday.   Worst turbulence I've experienced on a plane in over 20 years I'd say. Two attempts to land aborted 100 feet above the ground due to cells moving in at the last minute until the pilot found an opening 30 minutes later.  Was bouncing from western NY all the way in.  Awful!

Hey at least they didn't drag me off the plane!

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Speaking of severe-flew BOS-ORD yesterday.   Worst turbulence I've experienced on a plane in over 20 years I'd say. Two attempts to land aborted 100 feet above the ground due to cells moving in at the last minute until the pilot found an opening 30 minutes later.  Was bouncing from western NY all the way in.  Awful!

Hey at least they didn't drag me off the plane!

Congrats!! Always wanted to feel that.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Bounced around by turbulence and then dragged off.

As I'm boarding my return to Boston last night on you u guessed it-united-they start giving me crap about my minuscule carry ons saying the overheads were full.   I basically said they'd fit under the seat but of course there was plenty of room above.   Good bye UAL-too many other options...

43 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As I'm boarding my return to Boston last night on you u guessed it-united-they start giving me crap about my minuscule carry ons saying the overheads were full.   I basically said they'd fit under the seat but of course there was plenty of room above.   Good bye UAL-too many other options...

They are the worst. What a PR disaster. 

24 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Hey....it's in their policy that you may be booted from the flight.  It's not right, and they shouldn't be allowed to do it, but it's in there. Plus this doctor is a felon, so whatever. 

The list goes on and on with United. They always have something to sink to a new low.

44 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Hey....it's in their policy that you may be booted from the flight.  It's not right, and they shouldn't be allowed to do it, but it's in there. Plus this doctor is a felon, so whatever. 

Maybe he deserves to be roughed up, but it doesn't make what United did any better. Hopefully every booted customer milks them for the max now.

Archived