SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem VII

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So reports are coming in of another fatal accident involving storm chasers. A pic of the wrecked vehicle was posted and I'm pretty sure it had The Weather Channel Logo on it which would make it storm chaser Kelley Williamson who always does live shots and call ins for TWC

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That's just terrible snow calculation. A lot of fake snow on there sw of the 12+ zone. 

Kuchera gets ripped in the cold months but in marginal airmasses it is the far better weenie map to use if you want to use one.

Yes. Kuchera actually excels when marginal air aloft is in the picture. Though it does struggle still when it's near freezing at the surface...like if a model shows 1" of qpf at 33F paste snow...it will often "punish" the accumulations a bit too aggressively. They could probably make it better if it went off maybe 950mb temps or something rather than model sfc temps which can sometimes have a warm bias in isothermal paste setups. 

But it still beats those 30 to 1 ratios it prints out in colder storms. 

50 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

So reports are coming in of another fatal accident involving storm chasers. A pic of the wrecked vehicle was posted and I'm pretty sure it had The Weather Channel Logo on it which would make it storm chaser Kelley Williamson who always does live shots and call ins for TWC

I also read a report he was in that. Two other chasers as well.  Sad day

30 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Looks like they ran a stop sign and got broadsided. Such a shame.

It sucks, Kelley's vehicle was live streaming at the time. Kelley and his chase partner Randall died, and the storm chaser in the other vehicle died as well, who was only 25.

I love weather, but ****, weather is not worth dying for!!! This type of crazy needs to stop!

6 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

It sucks, Kelley's vehicle was live streaming at the time. Kelley and his chase partner Randall died, and the storm chaser in the other vehicle died as well, who was only 25.

I love weather, but ****, weather is not worth dying for!!! This type of crazy needs to stop!

No seatbelt and running stop signs. It's only going to get worse because of all the idiot chaser weenies converging out there more and more. It's terrible what happened, but this was reckless and avoidable. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No seatbelt and running stop signs. It's only going to get worse because of all the idiot chaser weenies converging out there more and more. It's terrible what happened, but this was reckless and avoidable. 

That is what is so maddening! It was reckless and completely avoidable! Every time TWC ended a live shot with Kelley, they always said stay safe. And I've listened to a few interviews he gave about speeding while chasing, and how it's so common place. 

Man, that EURO clown map is nuts....I'm really leery of this going to $hit.

Slight bump north, and its nuisance...stakes are high in these spring events, especially in the lower elevations.

A minor reduction in dynamics limits snowfall exponentially whereas a good portion of this is during the day.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Uh oh....ncforecaster89 in the house..

Lol...Hi, 40/70!  Just dropping by to catch up on you guys.  I genuinely enjoy reading the discussions that take place in this subforum, as well as the comrodary shared amongst all of you.  That aside, I'd be somewhat disingenuous if I didn't admit to being intrigued by the latest model runs...albiet, tempered by the mixing concerns associated with this setup.

I don't typically chase winter storms without signigicant blizzard potential (due to the logistics and expense required), but I might be tempted to chase a large snowfall event, given the time of year.  

Regardless, I simply enjoy keeping up with you guys! And, I'm always rooting for you guys to do well, whether I'm there to witness it first-hand, or not.

Archived