Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem VII

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, jbenedet said:

I'm wondering if the convective paramterization of the mesos has been giving the NAM and RGEM a distinct advantage as we work our way into spring. These large cut-off lows --one being the blizzard, and to a lesser extent this upcoming system--are also somewhat spring-like in nature  (cut-off season). It's just a thought but this could help to explain the relative outperformance of the rgem and nam against the globals leading up to the blizzard. It will be interesting to see if the mesos win again here. Either way, I suspect they may have far more utility in this setup than we normally give them credit for.

I posted this last night, and based on the trends it does seem again like the mesos are leading the way. I'd be interested to hear CTRain's and/or another met's thoughts on this and how it may or may not relate to the blizzard bust.

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I posted this last night, and based on the trends it does seem again like the mesos are leading the way. I'd be interested to hear CTRain's and/or another met's thoughts on this and how it may or may not relate to the blizzard bust.

It's still a little ways out, but perhaps this setup just plays into the  model mechanics. I'm not sure you can compare this storm and the blizzard because the blizzard was on another level with s/w intricacies and convection. Perhaps the globals were too progressive and the higher res models being slower just had something closer to being correct. But again, there still could be shifts either way. 

Euro def looked decent for far eastern regions. Gets some good mid level goods back over them. 

NAM is even a little better. It would prob argue for a shift west in qpf field. We could really use another tick west though overall. 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Love this setup. Watch for farther north and west verification. It's Morch, warm SST's. This has positive just written all over it

While it might come back further NW...the SSTs near us are pretty cold in March. They are usually warmer in December. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro def looked decent for far eastern regions. Gets some good mid level goods back over them. 

NAM is even a little better. It would prob argue for a shift west in qpf field. We could really use another tick west though overall. 

RGEM is a huge hit for WPSE

SN_000-072_0000 (1).gif

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

It's still a little ways out, but perhaps this setup just plays into the  model mechanics. I'm not sure you can compare this storm and the blizzard because the blizzard was on another level with s/w intricacies and convection. Perhaps the globals were too progressive and the higher res models being slower just had something closer to being correct. But again, there still could be shifts either way. 

Thanks for your response.

I agree, verification for this is still not set in stone; I'm just noting the trend that so far they are winning...

Synoptically speaking this event certainly isn't a strong analog--definitely not an apples to apples comparison--but I suppose I'm trying to isolate the common variable in this case, which is the robust 500 mb low occlusion near the Great Lakes. 

To me--again this is another hypothesis-- in the case of the blizzard bust I think the mesos keying in on the deepest convection and how that related to the location of best surface pressure falls is what allowed them to see the track closer to the coast. This is particularly important when H5 and H7 became cut off --losing baroclinity--and the atmosphere transitioned quickly to a quasi equivalent barotropic state. At that point perhaps convective drivers trumped UL synoptic features? There's obviously a lot more to this (e.g phasing) I just find it fascinating. In a perfect world Mother Nature would provide us with several more cases before this season is out to test and/or fine tune this hypothesis...

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Learn somethings, always been hidden , remember when we had to change the url on CMC crappy GGEM black and white maps to get to 240, it hasn't changed 

Yes I remember. Old school. Not sure I wanted to know where to find a 72 hour RGEM. Lol. It's probably about as accurate as the 72 hour NAM. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes I remember. Old school. Not sure I wanted to know where to find a 72 hour RGEM. Lol. It's probably about as accurate as the 72 hour NAM. 

Probably lol , I find these tight close miss / hits the most fun to analyze and try to predict.  I mean this is one of those where you could be standing on a beach in SRI watching near blizzard conditions on BID or in the same. Tight rope job

Archived